Allergies and male pattern baldness?

zackb

Reaction score
Do any of you think there is a connction between allergies and male pattern baldness? Maybe male pattern baldness is a sort of allergic reaction to DHT?

Nuno

Reaction score
Interestingly enough since I've been taking finasteride I've noticed my allergies have completely gone away. This is the first year I can remember since I was a kid that I haven't suffered any kind of allergy attack.

Radio

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nuno said:
Interestingly enough since I've been taking finasteride I've noticed my allergies have completely gone away. This is the first year I can remember since I was a kid that I haven't suffered any kind of allergy attack.

Is it possible you have one of the many variants of 'lupus' ?

Lupus is basically an autoimmune condition where your body attacks itself, it takes numerous forms and is very hard to diagnose.

My ex-manager used to complain that he was allergic to his own sweat (obviously we used to joke that he was allergic to hard work) as he would get terrible skin pain when his own sweat touched his skin, it turned out he had lupus and indeed he really was allergic to his own sweat.

It's a long shot but I wonder if you are having an allergic reaction to dihytrotestosterone or even 5-alpha reductase ? Or even if your hair loss was caused by lupus in the first place ?

Baldness can be caused by fungal infections, HIV infections, hypo and hyper thyroidism, lupus, syphilis, nutritional deficiencies and some drugs. In these cases the hair loss is not the typical male pattern baldness.

Just a guess.

SE-freak

Reaction score
Radio said:
Lupus is basically an autoimmune condition where your body attacks itself, it takes numerous forms and is very hard to diagnose.

I sometimes punch myself in the face. I get extreme irritation and swelling afterwards.

zackb

Reaction score
My orig point

My orig point was that what if male pattern baldness is allergy related and some kind of antihistamine would slow down or stop baldness. Maybe as a result of the allergic reaction to ecess dht, our fluid levels increase in our scalp and the hair shaft constricts and hair falls out. Would there be any way to apply a topical antihistamine?

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: My orig point

zackb said:
My orig point was that what if male pattern baldness is allergy related and some kind of antihistamine would slow down or stop baldness. Maybe as a result of the allergic reaction to ecess dht, our fluid levels increase in our scalp and the hair shaft constricts and hair falls out. Would there be any way to apply a topical antihistamine?
I am not exactly sure about topical, but taking an anti-histamine might very well prove beneficial!! There was a thread started here a month or two ago. I think the thread name was antihistamines or something like that. Do a search for it. I would take anti-histamines but they really dry me out!! :)

VWdude

Reaction score
The question is, what doesn't make you bald...?

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
VWdude said:
The question is, what doesn't make you bald...?
Good question, LOL!! Just about everything bad can make male pattern baldness worse huh. :)