al_pacino is happy (1 year update)

al_pacino

Reaction score
After 10 months on minoxidil (2%) and 2 months on minoxidil (5%) and proscar, I can finally say that my crown is really starting interestingly to fill in. I grew back about 50-60% of what was orignially loss on my crown, which is promising. Looking back at this year, I realize that it took me over 7 months before starting to see noticable improvements; now my scalp looks better than it was looking one year ago :D

On the other hand, my recent discovery of patchy frontal diffuse thinning is not under control yet, which I can only realistically hope to improve over the next year. It seems that I can't even tell if it is really diffuse thinning when I look in the mirror. I caught it very early on though which is a plus. I'll keep you updated if I get some major regrowth. :hairy:

All in all, I'm happy i didn't quit using minoxidil after all!

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you had some success, Al! Thanks for the update. Man, I have another 8 months to go before I can give my popecia and minoxidil update. Patience is not my forte.

Got a question for ya: I am a diffuse thinner, mostly noticeable in the anterior region (widows peak), but since it is common (and I think more so) to also lose hair in the crown area, I was wondering, how can you tell? It's hard to see back there, even with 2 mirrors while parting the hair at the same time, and "feeling" can be deceiving. You can use conditioner, and your hair will "feel" silky and thin, and without conditioner, feel thicker and full.

Just curious. I'm applying minoxidil to that area a little bit, too, just in case.

al_pacino

Reaction score
elguapo said:
Glad to hear you had some success, Al! Thanks for the update. Man, I have another 8 months to go before I can give my popecia and minoxidil update. Patience is not my forte.

Got a question for ya: I am a diffuse thinner, mostly noticeable in the anterior region (widows peak), but since it is common (and I think more so) to also lose hair in the crown area, I was wondering, how can you tell? It's hard to see back there, even with 2 mirrors while parting the hair at the same time, and "feeling" can be deceiving. You can use conditioner, and your hair will "feel" silky and thin, and without conditioner, feel thicker and full.

Just curious. I'm applying minoxidil to that area a little bit, too, just in case.

I shave my head with a #1 clipper and let it grow out till about a #3. I haven't let it grown longer since I started using hair loss products (one year ago).

The best mirrors I've used to look at my bald spots are the ugly oval-shaped ones with a handle, not the pocket-sized ones. Make sure you are not directly under the light; just experiment until you find a good angle. One trick I use is to wear sunglasses so I can see better the contrast between thinning and non-thinning areas. Try it. Hope it can help.

Note: When my hair was longer, I looked at it as I told you but straight out the shower. Now, even with short hair, my thinning areas are always given more prominence when my hair's wet.

I've also had some patchy hair loss very low on the back of my head (just where the neck and skull connects) it hasn't grown back and I wondered if something similar happened to you guys. Can this be related to male pattern baldness?