AGGRESSIVE Thinning on minoxidil 2 Weeks

nyhair19

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Long story short, I started minoxidil 5% two weeks ago. I have been on finasteride for a year as well as other supplements and special shampoos. I have been applying minoxidil to the thinning areas on my temples. I have some minor thinning on the sides of my forelock but after two weeks of minoxidil use look what's happened. The highlighted area has thinned out very aggressively since starting minoxidil!

I don't know whether I should keep at the minoxidil for another 2-3 weeks or stop it and see if the hair grows back. I really don't know what I should do. Worst case scenario is losing this hair permanently, especially when these areas were the reason I started minoxidil in the first place.

THanks everyone

Rawtashk

Reaction score
That is almost guaranteed to happen when starting Rogaine. minoxidil stimulates regrowth in hair, and it will usually accelerate the growth cycle.

"It is speculated that by widening blood vessels and opening potassium channels, it allows more oxygen, blood, and nutrients to the follicle. This may cause follicles in the telogen phase to shed, which are then replaced by thicker hairs in a new anagen phase."

I shed when I started on Rogaine foam, and I almost quit...but stuck it out. Same thing happened when I went to a 15% minoxidil solution, but I rode it out and I believe that my temples have thickened up a bit.

gh05

Established Member
Reaction score
I would be very careful on minoxidil. I used it for about a year, maybe longer and I experimented with putting different amounts on different sides to test if it really was making things worse - I had more thinning where i used it most and still do.

I'm desperately hoping that it will reverse a bit after a few months now that I've stopped use (when resting phase of those hairs is up) but I very much doubt it will.

nyhair19

Established Member
Reaction score
Two conflicting posts. I am thinking I am going to stick it out another two weeks - a month and see what it's like then. People have been telling me this is completely normal anytime you start minoxidil and somewhat expected. New regrowth could take up to a year, so I guess I will try it at least a bit longer.

It was just very alarming to see such rapid thinning like that in such a short time.

guy83

Established Member
Reaction score
but whether the shedding stops or not, a month is not enough for minoxidil to work. You have to ride it out at least 8-12 months.

gh05

Established Member
Reaction score
nyhair19 said:
Two conflicting posts. I am thinking I am going to stick it out another two weeks - a month and see what it's like then. People have been telling me this is completely normal anytime you start minoxidil and somewhat expected. New regrowth could take up to a year, so I guess I will try it at least a bit longer.

It was just very alarming to see such rapid thinning like that in such a short time.

if i were you i would only use it on areas which you can afford to lose...i.e dont spray it any further back - because for me i think it did daage my hair and that has not come back. be careful.

minoxidil is something i wont recommend to others now - i think it just causes unnecessary stress to people dealing with male pattern baldness. The fact that you have to use it twice a day mean that your hair is forever on your mind really. No wonder we get obsessed.

gh05

Established Member
Reaction score
btw do you have pics from just before you started the minoxidil?

please post updates if any improvements also - it would be useful to others. thanks

nyhair19

Established Member
Reaction score
Also, I am thinking of dropping down to the 2% for a while and seeing how that does. Maybe it will be less on my hair. What do you all think?

T

Timi

minoxidil :puke:

i have lost all my Hair
14Years finasteride success was in 14Days in the washbasin
the Hair comes never back-3Years minoxidil it was as a Chemotheraphie

shedding is a big lie, why should healthy dark Hairs shedd???

Timi

nyhair19

Established Member
Reaction score
Timi said:
minoxidil :puke:

i have lost all my Hair
14Years finasteride success was in 14Days in the washbasin
the Hair comes never back-3Years minoxidil it was as a Chemotheraphie

shedding is a big lie, why should healthy dark Hairs shedd???

Timi

Can you further elaborate?

gh05

Established Member
Reaction score
If 5% isn't working for you then I wouldn't bother with 2%. Be careful with that stuff. It left me with quite an asymmetrical looking hairline which i hate. Who knows, maybe it would have gone like that anyway - but I do believe the minoxidil did some damage. Since I've stopped using it, it has got no worse.

Brogain

Reaction score
Don't quit Minoxidil until at least the 2 month mark.

Look at my thread for proof that Minoxidil with finasteride can regrow your hairline.

gh05

Established Member
Reaction score
Brogain said:
Don't quit Minoxidil until at least the 2 month mark.

Look at my thread for proof that Minoxidil with finasteride can regrow your hairline.

With finasteride.

minoxidil on its own may work for some temporarily but I dont think it's worth it. Even if I were taking finasteride, I wouldn't want the hasle of using it twice a day again - it's not effective enough and just leaves you thinking about your hair all day.

nyhair19

Established Member
Reaction score
I am definitely going to stick with it a while longer, but I just don't know whether or not I should jump down to the 2% and see the effectiveness of it. I am not sure if the 5% is not working or not, it just made my hair thinner and shed but some people say that's normal on minoxidil.

nyhair19

Established Member
Reaction score
About a month in with minoxidil. I have seen that initial shed and it hasn't experienced any regrowth yet. That area is still pretty thinned out. Going to keep with it for a while and hopefully it grows back -_-