Acell?

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
btw how is this suppose to work if the hair must be plucked?
I was thinking that plucking the hair will lead to traction alopecia...even the docs were telling this...and now plucking is safe?

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
andrei_eremenko said:
just another scam...
why dyou think its just another scam? i don't really know much about anything compared to a lotta people on this forum but i do read thebaldtruth.com and think spencer kobren seems like a genuine guy, and he's really really excited about acell.

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am not agree with some facts...with plucking hair and the pictures that were presented are not showing any difference in my opinion...so I am not so excited about this...
btw this is not a cure...I will call it a cure when HM will be available...

malo

Established Member
Reaction score
According to Dr Cooley he plucks a hair from the safe area.
Treats the plucked hair with Acell and transplants the hair into a recipient site.
The transplanted hair grows in it's new site and the plucked hair
re-grows in the donor site. This is the principle behind auto-cloning.

There are still questions to be answered;
1-will the new hair be DHT resistant
2-will the new hair cycle more then once
If it does you get two hairs from one because the plucked hair re-grows in
the donor site.

To blatantly call this a scam is showing ignorance.
Both Doctors Bernstein and Rassman are starting studies to explore it further.
Both these doctors are pioneers in the field of hair restoration and are skeptical
of anything that sounds like snake oil.

While this is not the magic injection that we are all hoping for
if it works there will be an unlimited donor supply and no scares from
extraction of the donor hair.

malo

Established Member
Reaction score
I am sure Dr. Cooley will be updating Spencer Kobren as he continues
his research.
I would like to believe that by this time next year a lot of these questions
will be answered.

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am wondering how many of you will afford this procedure if it will ever be available...this will cost theoretically more than an HM procedure( when this will be available too)...if the price of 10 dollars for a single hair will be maintained then maybe you will not be interested in this procedure any more...

malo

Established Member
Reaction score
Well it is already available.

A year ago I consulted a doctor for an FUT and he said I needed
approximately 500 grafts. He is now researching Acell.
so I would definitely consider it if the results become more predictable.
I am also sure that the price will go down if more doctors begin to perform
and refine the procedure.

I am not saying that it's perfect but it's a tremendous step forward.
We all want companies like Histogen to succeed but until they do this
may possibly be the next best thing.

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
andrei_eremenko said:
I am wondering how many of you will afford this procedure if it will ever be available...this will cost theoretically more than an HM procedure( when this will be available too)...if the price of 10 dollars for a single hair will be maintained then maybe you will not be interested in this procedure any more...

For the love of god please stop bitc*ing about the price of new procedures; I have in the past responded to the bitc*ing and I will continue to respond to the bitc*ing - no one cares about your negativity to the cost of new procedures; all we care about is the validity of the new procedures. If scientists can successfully create an unlimited donor supply of hair this in my opinion is a cure; I don't care how much it is - anyone can make money whether they are a rich laywer or if they have to work behind a bar 30 hours a week; posts about the cost of these procedures are irrelevant and quite frankly ungrateful as we should all be thankful for a cure regardless of the price per hair.

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
oh boy...you gotta be kidding...tomorrow I wanna drive a a brand new ferrari 458...Oh I forgot I can not afford it..it is the same with 10 dollars for a hair...
anyway...this is not the point...
the point is this procedure it is not a cure...and you shouldn't look at this as a viable option because:
1. we don't know if actually is working
2. if it will work maybe there will be at least 4-5 years till the prices will go down...
1 hair= 10 dollars
10 hairs = 100 dollars
100 = 1000 dollars
1000 = 10 000 dollars
10 000 = 100 000 dollars ( this amount of money is something even for a rich guy not just for a regular guy who's posting here)

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
andrei_eremenko said:
oh boy...you gotta be kidding...tomorrow I wanna drive a a brand new ferrari 458...Oh I forgot I can not afford it..it is the same with 10 dollars for a hair...
anyway...this is not the point...
the point is this procedure it is not a cure...and you shouldn't look at this as a viable option because:
1. we don't know if actually is working
2. if it will work maybe there will be at least 4-5 years till the prices will go down...
1 hair= 10 dollars
10 hairs = 100 dollars
100 = 1000 dollars
1000 = 10 000 dollars
10 000 = 100 000 dollars ( this amount of money is something even for a rich guy not just for a regular guy who's posting here)

The price for any future procedure will inevitably dimminish as time goes by. But even let's say hypothetically 50 hairs cost 500 dollars and the cost never went down (which is absurd anyway) I would gladly work my *** off to add 50 hairs every month. My example is slightly unrealistic but I think people get my point.
Secondly there is a conflict of opinion of what the definition of what 'cure' means. So far if you have an intolerance of propecia or it has no effect there is absolutely nothing you can do about progressing to a NW7 - people need to realise this; there is NOTHING you can do accept go down the hair replacement route; but ultimately you will still be balding underneath. The definition of a cure for me would be to regrow to a thick NW1; this could be through injections; transplants - it doesn't even have to be permanent to be a cure for me - for instance if I had to go to a clinic every month to top up hair I would do it.

khali

Established Member
Reaction score
andrei_eremenko said:

I was looking into the FUE procedure for the future. However, the problem with FUE is when you remove a graft and implant it, it looses at least 20% of its thickness. Even if you get about 3000 grafts implanted in the front of your head they are all thin hair in the end. All the pictures you see online use flash, and they have dermatch applied on top. Look at Armani's after pictures are done in professional studios.

If Acell can restore the thickness to 95%-100% I wouldn't mind paying a bit more. Also, the other good news is, I believe hair transplants will eventually get cheaper. They are currently doing trials for restoration robotics. With this device, doctors have a easier time to pull out hair from the donor area.

Plus Acell uses a plucking method. If you can pluck out all your beard hair from under the chin, that would give a good coverage in the crown area. The rest can be focused on the frontal zone. So far people don't use beard hair because if they do they can no longer shave that area.