Acell Cocoon, a new proposed approach to Acell

Jerry Altman

Reaction score
Dear gentlemans

I would like to present you a new proposed aprouch to Acell regenerative matrix in the hair restoration field.
Acell Cocoon.

Acell Cocoon concept it's a cilinder manufacture from Acell's Matristem, in rigid form, in the size and shape to fit a plucked hair.

Considering that a adequate amount of Acell it's important to good chances of regeneration, and the current methods in test just try to immerse the plucked hair in a suspension of acell and PRP or Acell and saline solution, we can imagine that the amount of Acell available for the regeneration of hair foliche is somewhat limited.

The proposed concept of Acell Cocoon is to increase the quantity of Acell material available to the regeneration of a entire hair folicle.
By "dressing" the plucked hair (with epitelials an folicle segments) in Acell Cocoon, we ensure that a adequate amounts of Matristem are available. Acell Cocoon would have mini holes to ensure fluids exchange.

The plucked hair would be immersed in suspension(dispersion) of PRP of arterial blood and acell powder, rest for some time, fitted into the Acell Cocoon, wetted just a while in RPR and finally inplanted in the recipient area.
PRP it's not obligatory, but acording the studies published by Dr Hitzig, it increases chances of success in plucked hair surgeries .

Acell Coccon could also be manucfactured in a wider shape, to fit more plucked hairs, creating folicular units of 2 or 3 hair, to ensure natural hair distribution on scalp.

Acell Cocoon diagram:

acellcocoon.jpg

I hope Acell company get interest in this idea.

Jerry Altman

Reaction score
Based in Dr Cooley's 3mm punch experiment withh acell and some inte ntional trascetion, maybe it's possible adapt FUE to Acell, in such way that it produce intented transection of follicles in all the 1mm grafts, but with some precision to ensure high chances of regeneration when combined to Acell

Dr Cooley experiment resulted in the regeneration of transected follicles in donnor ste, when used with Acell : http://www.regrowshair.com/wp-content/up ... /11/21.jpg

I imagine something like a 0,5mm punch, or perhaps just a sharper base in the standart FUE punch, since the small diameter or sharper base increases chance of transection, and the use of Acell Cocoon I mentioned, for "dress" the removed transected folicular unit, and also can be adapt to the donnor area.

Here a another propose of Acell Cocoon, but this time in a second version, to the donor area. This Acell Cocoon-2 would envolve the remains of transected follicular unit in donor area, but can also be used in cases of complete follicular unit removal, I supose. it also have a smal interior space to try to retain more PRP.

If the transection get not very close of the follicular unit base, the surgeon can fit Acell Cocoon not so deep, or do not force entrance, or even cut a piece of the remains Acell Cocoon top, to avoit any piece to be left outside skin surface.

Dr Cole states that for normal FUE (entire graft removal) he noticed that a small percentage of grafts growth back in donor area when he placed Acell. But he also state that it was quite difficult to deal with acell, powder or sheets, to try to place in the donor area of FUE. The Acell Cocoon II maybe coul also increase the percentage of regeneration in cases of entire graft removal.
See new diagram anexed

acellcocoonii.jpg