Absolute minimum effective dutasteride dose...

jcinzano

Reaction score
I see many people here taking a pill a day ... i read elsewhere that, because the stuff hangs around in your system so long, one Doctor was saying that only two pills a week were needed....and since i don't plan to give up my proscar anytime soon, i don't want to take too much...

so ... what's the minimum dose i can get away with? keep in mind, will still be taking 1mg of proscar per day...

biff

Established Member
Reaction score
I have read that 0.2mg can be effective with some people. I started on 0.5mg (half a Propecia tablet) which gave me sides so I reduced my dose to 0.25mg. I've now been on 0.25mg for about 8 months and my hair has continued to get a bit worse over this time. A higher dose would probably be better, but I'm not prepared to deal with the sides. I'm going to give it a year on 0.25mg and see if the situation improves. I would be happy if I could just maintain what I have until a new treatment comes along.

jcinzano

Reaction score
sorry, maybe i wasn't clear. i'm talking about taking dutasteride, not propecia. i'm already taking proscar/propecia. since this is the dutasteride board, i'm asking what's the minimum dosage i can get away with on that

biff

Established Member
Reaction score
Oops! Sorry, I'm viewed it in the "See all the Posts since you Last Logged in" section and didn't notice it was in the dutasteride forum.

Jacky81

Established Member
Reaction score
I will take one year .5mg a day. After this year i will consider taking one every other day.
But i want to see what can dutasteride do taking it every day (regroth, rethickening).

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Floating around out there in internet-land are figures detailing how the type II 5AR inhibiting-qualities of various dutasteride dosages compare to Finasteride's. Possibly someone less lazy than me will come along and add a link to such a page, but as we wait for that happy moment I'll add my two cents' worth.

After realizing that finasteride (in conjunction with minoxidil) had failed to arrest my frontal loss, I switched to taking dutasteride every-other-day (EOD). I did this for about 16 months, experienced no noticeable shedding but, unfortunately, no growth spurt either. The best I could say is that dutasteride EOD further slowed my frontal thinning, and marginally improved my crown and mid-scalp - where finasteride/minoxidil had already eliminated the worst of my male pattern baldness. So based on my experience, any idea that a low dose of dutasteride will be a big help is, I'm afraid to say, wide of the mark. Quite simply, I don't see that taking it EOD (let alone less frequently) warrants its use inplace of tried-and-tested finasteride, and how much benefit exists in combining Proscar with a low dutasteride-dosage I could only guess at.

Slarti

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
jcinzano said:
I see many people here taking a pill a day ... i read elsewhere that, because the stuff hangs around in your system so long, one Doctor was saying that only two pills a week were needed....and since i don't plan to give up my proscar anytime soon, i don't want to take too much...

so ... what's the minimum dose i can get away with? keep in mind, will still be taking 1mg of proscar per day...

The "break-even" point where dutasteride is as effective as finasteride (in the form of Proscar) is 0.1 mg/day. So that would be the equivalent of taking an Avodart capsule once every 5 days.

Bryan