AA induced by stress

dsquared

Reaction score
History:
Started as a single quarter sized spot half way down back of scalp about 4 years ago, progressed to sides over ears, then a patch at front. It was diagnosed as AA. The hair grew back white or normal. If it came back white it fell out again. 2 years ago I shaved my head due to the patchiness. The baldness cycles over my complete body and other than my scalp has grown back. At this time I am loosing it over my entire body again for 2nd time. The first sign of the recent loss was accompanied by severe pitting of my finger nails that have since started to recover. I believe the condition was initiated by severe stress.

Treatment:
I do not treat except for the vitamins, especially calcium.

rml

Reaction score
when you shaved did you continue to have any discomfort (tingling, itchy) on your scalp? was there any scalp discoloration in the areas where you had patches?

i am preparing to give up and shave ... trying to understand what to expect

thanks

c4snipar

Reaction score
talking about shaving..........at least somebody look normal and good with a bald head, not me........lol

Littlenola

Reaction score
I would re think the vitamins while you are in a cycle. The theory is that since AA is autoimmune, increasing your immune system is in turn increasing your loss. By boosting your immune system you are boosting it's attack on the hair follicles. When you go into remission obviously restate the vitamins, but for now just try to eat healthy and reduce stress. Try keeping your cortisol levels lower by decreasing stress, some believe they are linked.
Good luck :)

5rugrats9

Reaction score
Stress is a well-known trigger to AA. I think there is more to AA than the vanilla autoimmune theory. The hair follicles or the skin layer containing them may have an infection. The infection itself may cause hair loss, or the autoimmune system while fighting the infection may cause damage to the follicles; and finally the actual hair fall might be activated in the presence of stress hormones.

I'd recommend to go as far chemically-free as possible while bathing and shampooing. This may take some getting used to, but I think is worth the effort to find out if it helps. Increasing use of coconut oil, castor oil, tea tree oil topically is also an idea.

LouisR

Reaction score
It is better to get tested anyway. I've been suffering from alopecia areata for 3 years. And I've been fighting it from the very first day. My way was long, but finally I came to International Alopecia Areata Hospital, where the initial reason of my problem was identified: it was a virus, contained in the hair follicles (therefore, it could not be identified by blood tests, which I have passed in dozens).
I have been taking a medication for 2.5 years, and my ‘empty spots’ are slowly been covering with hair. It's crucial to move in the right direction with your treatment, which is impossible without knowing the reason.