a visit to dr. lee

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
bombscience said:
The high concentration of PPG in Rogaine forumlated minoxidil is only to increase the shelf life of the product, not for the purposes of absorption. Just to clear up the "i'm not talking out my ***" side of this comment. I metion this because that's how dr. lee explained it to me.

Oh, so THAT is where that claim came from! I've seen that mentioned before, and I've always wondered about who first said that!

I've never ever heard of PPG being used as a preservative. I haven't seen that mentioned in any of the topical minoxidil studies I've read (a whole bunch of them), nor is it mentioned in the Merck Index. Personally, I think the purpose of PPG in Rogaine is mainly as a solvent...it's impossible to get a 5% solution of minoxidil in pure ethanol, whereas pure propylene glycol can dissolve it up to about 7.5% (at room temperature). Furthermore, you DO IN FACT want some propylene glycol in a topical solution! Read the two studies which are available right here on this site which discuss the influence of PPG and alcohol as co-solvents in the absorption of minoxidil. It's interesting reading! Pure ethanol isn't as effective at getting minoxidil to be absorbed as is a precise mixture of ethanol and PPG.

Bryan

bombscience

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Oh, so THAT is where that claim came from! I've seen that mentioned before, and I've always wondered about who first said that!

I've never ever heard of PPG being used as a preservative. I haven't seen that mentioned in any of the topical minoxidil studies I've read (a whole bunch of them), nor is it mentioned in the Merck Index. Personally, I think the purpose of PPG in Rogaine is mainly as a solvent...it's impossible to get a 5% solution of minoxidil in pure ethanol, whereas pure propylene glycol can dissolve it up to about 7.5% (at room temperature). Furthermore, you DO IN FACT want some propylene glycol in a topical solution! Read the two studies which are available right here on this site which discuss the influence of PPG and alcohol as co-solvents in the absorption of minoxidil. It's interesting reading! Pure ethanol isn't as effective at getting minoxidil to be absorbed as is a precise mixture of ethanol and PPG.

Bryan

Interesting so what do yout think about the lesser PPG amounts in solutions such as Dr. Lee's and their relation to absorption of the minoxidil?

Furthermore, I am someone who has had a serious reaction to PPG in regular forumlated minoxidil. Using Dr. Lee's non-PG formula has reduced that problem for me by replacing the PPG with Glycerine. I know we dont have any studies, but in theory should glycerine be a good replacement for PPG as a co-solvent for absorption? Or, am I just wasting money on a minoxidil solution that is never being absorbed into my head and that's the reason why i'm not seeing results at all?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
bombscience said:
Interesting so what do yout think about the lesser PPG amounts in solutions such as Dr. Lee's and their relation to absorption of the minoxidil?

Under the conditions of the testing done in that study I referred to that's here on this site (you really should read the whole thing! It's very interesting!), the maximum amount of minoxidil absorption through mouse skin was with a vehicle that consisted of 90% ethanol and 10% PPG. Anything that used either MORE alcohol than that, or LESS, was less effective. If it's similar with topical minoxidil applied to human scalps, then it would appear that Dr. Lee's formula is closer to that ideal vehicle than the standard Rogaine formula.

bombscience said:
Furthermore, I am someone who has had a serious reaction to PPG in regular forumlated minoxidil. Using Dr. Lee's non-PG formula has reduced that problem for me by replacing the PPG with Glycerine. I know we dont have any studies, but in theory should glycerine be a good replacement for PPG as a co-solvent for absorption? Or, am I just wasting money on a minoxidil solution that is never being absorbed into my head and that's the reason why i'm not seeing results at all?

Don't really know. I've never seen a single study on topical minoxidil that used glycerine instead of PPG. The Merck Index says that glycerine doesn't permeate the skin as well as PPG, but I suspect that it still works reasonably well for our purpose.

Bryan

bombscience

Reaction score
Bryan said:
bombscience said:

Under the conditions of the testing done in that study I referred to that's here on this site (you really should read the whole thing! It's very interesting!), the maximum amount of minoxidil absorption through mouse skin was with a vehicle that consisted of 90% ethanol and 10% PPG. Anything that used either MORE alcohol than that, or LESS, was less effective. If it's similar with topical minoxidil applied to human scalps, then it would appear that Dr. Lee's formula is closer to that ideal vehicle than the standard Rogaine formula.

Very interesting indeed. I'll spend more time with the study.

Don't really know. I've never seen a single study on topical minoxidil that used glycerine instead of PPG. The Merck Index says that glycerine doesn't permeate the skin as well as PPG, but I suspect that it still works reasonably well for our purpose.

Well it's good to know that glycerine *still* permeates the skin reasonably well. It hard convincing myself that I'm using an effective treatment when the forumlation of it deviates so greatly from the one used and proven in a clinical study.

Odelay

Established Member
Reaction score
LOL Vicci is annoying people on this site now. Just kidding, or am I?