a shed? very confused.. please help!

pleasehelpme

Established Member
Reaction score
i was browsing through the Men's General Hair Loss Discussions Forum and found that there were many threads about shedding.

so i clicked on one and read the shed link from HairLossTalk.com.
i guess i am going through a shed, since when i started using minoxidil. i started to lose more hair. but does a shed mean that every time i just brush my hand through my hair like 10 hairs should fall out?

but what the hell exactly is a "shed"? i've been really recognizing hairs falling out in the sink, shower during 9th grade... but it's just getting worse and my hair is even thinner and a few parts on my scalp show through. (cannot be covered up at the moment: that is until i am successful with the big 3)

around how long does a shed last? what i'm going through is it a shed? because ive beengetting this sh*t for over 3 years even when i didnt even know wtf minoxidil was.

every medication says that it cannot heal hairs lost due to "Forceful Pulling". if i brush my hand through my hair and hair falls out... is that considered to be forceful pulling?

also i stopped using minoxidil 2% for a week now and i'm going to restart just to finish what i have left. then i'm gettin Dr.Lee's sh*t.

i have been using minoxidil for around 2 months now, but have skipped it for 2 weeks (not straight) and a few days. will this effect my treatment? or do the 2 weeks and few days that i skipped using minoxidil harmless?

thanks! and damn is there any sort of hair strengthening treatment? everyf reakin time i just take my hand and put it through my hair, more than a few hairs fall out.

also when hairs do fall out, i seem to be getting hairs of different thickness. some are so damn thin that you can barely see them in the sink, and some are normal black, while every once in a while a very thick black hair falls out. it says that hairs that fall out should have a whitish bulb at the end... :roll: mine usually never have white bulbs.. theyre just black.

is it okay to be losing normal and thick hairs too? and do the thin hairs falling out mean that they will continue to thin and never get thick again?

thanks for the help!

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i guess i am going through a shed, since when i started using minoxidil. i started to lose more hair. but does a shed mean that every time i just brush my hand through my hair like 10 hairs should fall out?

REPLY: Yes, for some people sheds do mean losing that much hair at one time, even from one small pass. It sucks.

but what the hell exactly is a "shed"? i've been really recognizing hairs falling out in the sink, shower during 9th grade... but it's just getting worse and my hair is even thinner and a few parts on my scalp show through. (cannot be covered up at the moment: that is until i am successful with the big 3)

REPLY: i would say a "shed" is any extended period of time (over say, three days to three months, where you are simply losing more hair than you typically do, i.e. many of your hairs are in a "synchronized" cycle and lots are entering the same stage at the same time. Remember, most of us male pattern baldness guys are losing more hairs than most anyway, so to go through a "shed" it would have to be an even bigger amount, so its going to be noticeable.

around how long does a shed last? what i'm going through is it a shed? because ive beengetting this sh*t for over 3 years even when i didnt even know wtf minoxidil was.

REPLY: it sounds like a shed. typically they last from at least two weeks to 2 months.

every medication says that it cannot heal hairs lost due to "Forceful Pulling". if i brush my hand through my hair and hair falls out... is that considered to be forceful pulling?

REPLY: i'm not exactly sure what you mean, but i don't think brushing your hair is "forceful pulling" perhaps what they mean when you yank on your hair so hard it just rips an anagen phase hair (a healthy growing one) right from its roots.

also i stopped using minoxidil 2% for a week now and i'm going to restart just to finish what i have left. then i'm gettin Dr.Lee's sh*t.

i have been using minoxidil for around 2 months now, but have skipped it for 2 weeks (not straight) and a few days. will this effect my treatment? or do the 2 weeks and few days that i skipped using minoxidil harmless?

REPLY: don't skip, ESPECIALLY early on in the treatment. Either choose to use rogaine, and use it religiously, or decide its too much of a hassle and just stick with propecia/nizoral, the in-between stuff is almost worse for your hair.

thanks! and damn is there any sort of hair strengthening treatment? everyf reakin time i just take my hand and put it through my hair, more than a few hairs fall out.

also when hairs do fall out, i seem to be getting hairs of different thickness. some are so damn thin that you can barely see them in the sink, and some are normal black, while every once in a while a very thick black hair falls out. it says that hairs that fall out should have a whitish bulb at the end... :roll: mine usually never have white bulbs.. theyre just black.

REPLY: hmm.. mine always have a white bulb, so i'm not sure on that one, perhaps you aren't looking close enough (they are tiny!) but often you will find different lengths of hairs in the shedding period, they are getting synchronized now!

is it okay to be losing normal and thick hairs too? and do the thin hairs falling out mean that they will continue to thin and never get thick again?

REPLY: no the thin hairs will just get thicker, and the thick ones you lost will either get thicker or stay thick, provided you are a responder to your treatments. I can't remember, were you too young for propecia, or are you using a finasteride product?

pleasehelpme

Established Member
Reaction score
this goddamned itching is pissing me off.. just now i had a severe itch on my scalp.. i scratched it furiously around 70 hairs just fell out. when i scratch my scalp, my fuckin hairs get caught up and it feels as if im pulling them out while scratching.. WHAT THE f***? is there any solution for this problem?

thanks i need help fast with this sh*t... i lose more hairs by scratching my scalp than i do in the shower...