A post copy from alt.baldspot: Why I stopped Proscar--Again

HH

Reaction score
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.bald ... b1a9552d97

Here's a thread I copy from alt.baldspot.

Why I stopped Proscar--Again

发件人: Timeo25082 - 查看个人资料
日期: 1998年1月15日(星期四) 上午12时00分
Background: I am 32 yrs old...between Norwood 1 and 2...used Minoxidil 2% for
past 5-6yrs.

Back in 1996, when the information about Proscar's effectiveness against male pattern baldness
was just coming out, I decided to try it. My Dad had been taking it for
prostatitis so I had an unlimited source. I did not have a positive reaction.
I didn't experience any of the side effects of sexual dysfunction, but it was
definitely INCREASING my hair loss. Now, I know a lot of you will stop right
there and say he's just freaking out about a shedding phase, but the other side
effect I had was a DRAMATIC increase in facial/scalp oiliness. I have always
had a oily complexion, going back to my acne-filled high school days, but while
I was taking Proscar, my face/scalp looked like it had collided with the Exxon
Valdez! After I stopped taking the Proscar, I definitely regained alot of the
hair I'd lost while taking it. Also, my facial/scalp oiliness returned to
normal. I vowed to avoid it like the plague.

Recently, with the FDA approval and excitement over Propecia, I decided to give
it another shot. I thought perhaps if I quartered the Proscar pills it might
not cause the same facial/scalp oil problem. I tried this regimen again for
about a month and had the same result: noticeable thinning of the hair with
HUGE increase in facial/scalp oiliness. I stopped it again. Thankfully, it
looks like it is thickening back up a little and face/scalp oiliness is
definitely returning to normal.

I understand that shedding can be a normal effect of taking Proscar, but I just
felt this side effect combined with the dramatic increase in facial/scalp oil,
which seems to be such a strong correlate with male pattern baldness, could not lead to a
positive result.
Comments?

On a more positive note, I have been using Minoxidil 5% for about 4 months and
have seen some good results. Surprisingly, it seems to be working better on
the hairline/temple area better than the vertex/crown. I'm thinking about
possibly trying Spironolactone.

Regards,

--T

HH

Reaction score
And then
发件人: Timeo25082 - 查看个人资料
日期: 1998年4月27日(星期一) 下午3时00分
电子邮件: timeo25...@aol.com (Timeo25082)
论坛: alt.baldspot
尚未评分
评级:
显示选项

回复 | 答复作者 | 转发 | 打印 | 显示个别帖子 | 显示原始邮件 | 报告滥用行为 | 查找此作者的帖子

>Subject: Question for Dr. P {Reflex Androgen?}
>From: B...@net.com
>Date: Sun, Apr 26, 1998 21:40 EDT
>Message-id: <6i0k9a$...@sjx-ixn3.ix.netcom.com>

>I have been using proscar for about a month and a half , and have
>noticed a increase in facial oil and sliight acne. I remeber reading
>in an earlier post you stated this was due to reflex androgen? My
>question is will proscar not be as effective on me as it is to others
>due to this.
>Thank you in advance

Looking for early markers of success or failure with Proscar is a very tricky
business. On paper it seems pretty simple. DHT causes androgenic effects on
men such as increased bodyhair, sex drive, sebum production and, in those
unlucky enough to have the genetic predisposition, scalp hair loss.

Many of those experiencing success with Proscar have also experienced a
reduction in scalp/facial oiliness, which makes sense: DHT is reduced >
reduced sebum production > scalp hair regrowth. However, I have also read of
some who seem to go against the grain--they've experienced increases in
bodyhair and sex drive, and they've also had scalp hair growth.

I tried Proscar on two separate occasions: the first time for six months and
the second time for about a month. The main reason I stopped using Proscar
both times was because of a dramatic INCREASE in the amount of facial/scalp
oiliness. I've had oily skin since high school, but when I was taking proscar
you could spoon the oil off my forehead with a ladle. When I stopped taking
Proscar my skin returned to it's regular oily self. Dr. P has said that when
you're working with hormones, you never know exactly what to expect.

On a positive note, I have experienced excellent results after 4 months on
topical Spironolactone. It's helping my regrowth efforts, and, *surprise,
surprise,* it's helped to REDUCE my facial/scalp oiliness quite substantially.
If you decide to discontinue the Proscar, I would certainly recommend trying
the spironolactone.

'til then

--T

So

Established Member
Reaction score
I have noticed increased oil and acne too and I am confident that I can attribute this to Propecia.

It seems I have been losing more hair, diffuse thinning, and I am just about to complete my second month. Certainly I am not impressed by my increased shedding and diffuse thinning.

It is claimed however that this is a key indicator that the treatment is working, as existing hairs need to shed themselves in order for the follicle to re-set its "state".

I'd like to believe this, of course only time will tell as I am on the end of my second (2nd) month.

What is it about the spironolactone that is giving you results with Propecia?

HH

Reaction score
You are still in your 2nd month of Propecia, I think patient is still needed.

People say at least need to give a treatment 6-12 months before you can judge the result. I agree.

However, after 5-6 months, if you are still shedding badly and have no sign of endding, you might need to consider something. Because as Dr. P believes, sometime Propecia may cause enough reflex hyper-androgencity that can have an negetive effect on hair loss.

If you are having hyper-andro now, it doesn't matter that much! but I think if it *never* goes away after 5-6 months, and your situtation not improved at all, you might need to start to think about if the shed is induced early shedding(which is good) or hyper-andro shedding(which is not so good...)

also check this post:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... hp?t=27063

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

Where to begin?
1.) Proscar is 5 mg finasteride. For hairloss one should take 1 mg finasteride.
2.) Everyone on this site with any knowledge of finasteride tells people to use finasteride (st 1 mg) for a year before concluding anything.
3.) There is no scientific evidence or any clear evidence on this site that finasteride can make your hair worse. There are countless examples of people experiencing shedding periods while on finasteride (like me). The exact reason for this is unknown but most agree it has to do with the follicles adjusting to life without (or perhaps less) DHT interaction.
4.) At 32 years old, I would assume you have the wisdom to properly research any medication you are taking before jumping to conclusions or posting in a panic. You have not done this and provide a poor example to others. Harsh words, perhaps, but these sort of posts must be mitigated.

HH

Reaction score
Re: re:

Hi I understand your point. I'm sorry if I scared anyone.
I know I have not study back on my hand, and maybe this claim scared somebody to have patient on finasteride. I'm sorry on this.

It is just in my opinon that hyper-andro can be an indicator of bad reaction to this drug, and to be honest, I have never saw some one have success on finasteride with lasting hyper-andro.

You are right: There is no scientific evidence or any clear evidence on this site that finasteride can make your hair worse. BUT ... oh I won't dig into it publicly anymore as it indeed may scare someone. but someone can understand my point I believe.

My advise to everyone: you may well ignore my theory if you ain't a long time user not seeing results. Maybe you can only start to think about this if only you continue to react to finasteride badly AFTER at least 6-9 months. Bad reaction means *conitinued* *increased* shedding.

By the way, I'm not the author of the posts I copied. I'm 24, take finasteride for almost 6 months (still taking asof today) but havn't convinced to have luck on it right now. I'm starting to think about alternatives.

And another reason made me to think about this problem is the post I quote below, which I think was a frank suggestion to a 4-month user of finasteride, from a much longer time user.

I've been on proscar for 15 months, and I wish I never tried it.
My hair looks like crap.
This drug does work for people and I'm pissed I'm not one of them.
Stay on it for another 3 months if nothing stop it.
Don't keep going thinking just a couple of more months.
Or you'll end up pissed like me.
Get on minoxidil.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Once again, for finasteride newer, please don't be scared by my post. Hyper-andro or not, I think is reasonable to give finasteride ENOUGH time to see if it works!

It's absolutly right, as Johny pointed out:
There is no scientific evidence or any clear evidence on this site that finasteride can make your hair worse

There are countless examples of people experiencing shedding periods while on finasteride (like me).

Wish everyone have success on finasteride!

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

This hyper-andro reaction is worth looking at but there needs to be photos, a number of examples and some sort of scientific back-up for it to be considered credible. The post that you have cut and paste involves a man who is not even taking the correct dosage, a clear indication that he does not truly understand the medication. He was taking either 5 times the dose or 2.5 times the dose so evaluating sides is pointless until he goes to 1 mg.
As far as results, I take all comments on results with a grain of salt unless there are photos. We all tend to take a negative approach when assessing our results. Also, most people begi ths medication thinking that they will have tons of regrowth and they do not understand that male pattern baldness is progressive and therefor, keeping what you have is a verypositive result. This is why photos are so important.

the_swami

Established Member
Reaction score
I think there may indeed be people who have atypical responses to finasteride. It's very possible, and happens with many drugs. Some people just react in really weird ways to certain drugs when compared to the "normal response." In cases like this I'd say hormone testing is really important (if you can afford it) because it could greatly help to understand what is really going on. For example, is your luteinizing hormone and follicle stimulating hormone high? That could indicate that the body is somehow sensing a lower androgen level and is trying to raise it. What are your androgen and estrogen levels, DHEA, and even cortisol (with sailva test). I would guess that people who respond oddly to finasteride like the above poster are probably having some hormonal feedback loop working against them.

HH

Reaction score
Hi Johnny,
I agree with you, but still have two comments:
1)The author want to express the possible link between hyper-andro and finasteride effectivness. Look at the original post on google, there's one person replyed hime claiming having success with 5mg finasteride, and together with *hypo*-andro.

2)The author is not so subjective on treatment results even without photos: He noticed *good* results with minoxidil, and he noticed *good* results with topical spironolactone.

Hi Swami,
Yes, you are right. But it's a pity I didn't get my hormone leve checked before poping the pills. Now I don't know if it's meanful to check current hormone leve without knowing the baseline.
But looking at my fast growing bodyhairs, you know what I'm guessing about how my hormone levels have been changed.