A Neuroscientist Says There’s A Powerful Benefit To Exercise That Is Rarely Discussed

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
http://qz.com/592569/a-neuroscienti...benefit-to-exercise-that-is-rarely-discussed/

Studies in rodents demonstrated that increased levels of physical exercise can result in improved memory by enhancing both the birth rate and the survival of new hippocampal brain cells. Exercise encourages the long-term growth of hippocampal cells by immediately increasing levels of a key growth factor in the hippocampus called Brain Derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF. Now, when I exercise, I imagine BDNF levels surging in my hippocampi, encouraging all those new hippocampal cells to grow.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've read a few studies about physical exercise being good for the brain. I know when I'm in good shape I feel sharper mentally than when I've been lazy.

Nadester

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have heard of old scientist like Socrates and others who used to fast and gain better focus.

Also they forced their students to only attend class in a fasted state.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have heard of old scientist like Socrates and others who used to fast and gain better focus.

Also they forced their students to only attend class in a fasted state.

i read something today that said intermittent fasting is bad for hair loss.
Did not specify which type of hair loss.

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Since beginning exercise I definitely have a better recollection for relating stories to certain situations, remembering basic quotes, also being able to think of the next thing I'm about to say as I'm talking because I'm sharper with what it's going to be (as in barely ever have to stall with "ummm" or "ahh...'s" if you know what I mean).

I do pretty much put this down to exercise, I don't really feel the same if I go a few days without it.

Also if anyone has further info on IF being bad for your hair then please let us know, I was thinking of starting it again.

topcat

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also if anyone has further info on IF being bad for your hair then please let us know, I was thinking of starting it again.

The only known anti aging, life extension product that actually works is IF or extended fasting. So I would expect the effect on hair to be positive if anything as it lowers systemic inflammation while also having a partitioning effect meaning when you do eat nutrition goes directly towards repair and growth. You will find the mention of fasting in all the religious texts and it has been around for thousands of years because empirical evidence has shown that it works. But there is a problem………………….you can’t make money from it. In fact it requires you to spend less money………………that’s a very big problem for some as there is nothing to really market.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dementia runs in my family so that is definitely yet another incentive to exercise for life

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Since beginning exercise I definitely have a better recollection for relating stories to certain situations, remembering basic quotes, also being able to think of the next thing I'm about to say as I'm talking because I'm sharper with what it's going to be (as in barely ever have to stall with "ummm" or "ahh...'s" if you know what I mean).

I do pretty much put this down to exercise, I don't really feel the same if I go a few days without it.

I read it randomly in this article
I was NOT impressed with article over-all but that line stuck out to me because I know fasting is popular here.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/health/thinning-locks-bald-patches-hidden-10565116

here is the line he says
“Periods of fasting therefore often cause many more hairs than usual to move from the growing to the resting phase of the hair growth cycle – with hairs being shed en masse six-12 weeks later.”

I don't know if he is speaking about JUST women, women with low iron etc. It is just that one line..Phillip Kingsly is a trichologist in UK--I have no idea if he is credible or not.
It seemed randomly placed in the article.

I have no opinion one way or other.