A look back at menthol study

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The menthol inhibition of angiogenesis topic: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=42134
The study: http://www.poseidonsciences.com/anti-inflammatory.html

I e-mailed Revivogen about this chemical since it's in their formula to see what they had to say about it.

I reviewed the study and your interpitations are worng.

Firs it clearly explains that menthol does not interfere with normal tissue growth "The results demonstrate that this compound does not have detrimental effects on the normal proliferation of endothelial cells."

Secondly it suggest the benefits of it as an anti-inflammatory agent (which is great for hair loss), as an anti-androgen (also great for hair loss) and to stop angiogenesis which would apply to cancer and infllammation "The findings described in this report indicate that
menthol propyleneglycol carbonate (MPC), a GRAS food ingredient, is an effective nontoxic biochemical that may be used clinically as ananti-inflammatory and anti-androgenic agent. These observations open new market opportunities to use MPC in diverse medical conditions that involve
angiogenesis and inflammation."

So it actually confirms that it is a grat ingredient in the fight against hair loss.

michael barry

Reaction score
Im glad that Revivogen likes it (they use it in their topical and shampoo).

However, Ive written them before about green tea extract and was told that it didn't enter the cell or some such-------despite what it does to a hamster flank organ which is the basis for them including gamma linolenic acid and alpha linolenic acid (which is inflammatory--ALA).

This is getting to what I was angling for though....................namely that we can find an effective alpha five inhibitor and receptor blocker out there very cheaply ourselves. Licorice, menthol, clove, rose hips, arnica (would be very dangerous is systemically absorbed), beta sitosterol from cedarwood or pine oil, perhaps green tea----perhaps even black tea (alpha five inhibition). I think Ive definitely found something with menthol because it reduced beard hair vs. the other side of my face very obviously in a few months with no inflammation present at all. If it doesn't interefere with normal angiogenesis, I would claim its that something really cheap that we can add ourselves. Im still excited about it.

jakeb

Established Member
Reaction score
I've always taken menthol to be a scam ingredient. People include it in formulations because it causes users to feel a tingle... and people like tingles... makes it seem like the product is doing something.