A few questions about minoxidil, as a newbie to hairloss treatment

DominoEffect

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does it make you lose hair?
When it speeds up the hair growth phase process I heard that sometimes the shedding it does intiially will permanently kill those hairs that may not grow back. Is this true? and if so why?

Also, if you work out (which increases testosterone) does it also help exacerbate baldness?

Thank you any who would answer.

NW9000

Established Member
Reaction score
It does not cause you to lose hair

Working out does not increase testosterone

DominoEffect

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
"Does it make you lose hair? When it speeds up the hair growth phase process I heard that sometimes the shedding it does intiially will permanently kill those hairs that may not grow back. Is this true? and if so why?"

Some people experience shedding. If you're shedding, this means it's working. If you're not shedding, this does not mean it's not working.
The hair you lose should come back stronger in a few months if you continue using minoxidil.
If you stop using minoxidil during the shed, you may not get the hairs back, though I don't think this is well understood. I'd say it's a risk.

If you use minoxidil for a reasonable amount of time (more than a few weeks), then stop, you should lose a lot of hair. Does that mean that you're returning to baseline, or maybe you're falling below baseline, or above baseline? I think no-one really knows, to be honest.

"Also, if you work out (which increases testosterone) does it also help exacerbate baldness?"

That may well be true, in which case I expect it would be a fairly small/modest effect. But exercise also does other things (e.g. increases blood circulation through the body, which may bring more nutrients to the follicles), so the net effect is difficult to estimate. In any case, I strongly suspect that the effect is small/very modest. I suspect that conclusive research does not exist on the subject.
Why do the initial hairs not come back though? If shed and do not return after no use of minoxidil.

DominoEffect

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
"Does it make you lose hair? When it speeds up the hair growth phase process I heard that sometimes the shedding it does intiially will permanently kill those hairs that may not grow back. Is this true? and if so why?"

Some people experience shedding. If you're shedding, this means it's working. If you're not shedding, this does not mean it's not working.
The hair you lose should come back stronger in a few months if you continue using minoxidil.
If you stop using minoxidil during the shed, you may not get the hairs back, though I don't think this is well understood. I'd say it's a risk.

If you use minoxidil for a reasonable amount of time (more than a few weeks), then stop, you should lose a lot of hair. Does that mean that you're returning to baseline, or maybe you're falling below baseline, or above baseline? I think no-one really knows, to be honest.

"Also, if you work out (which increases testosterone) does it also help exacerbate baldness?"

That may well be true, in which case I expect it would be a fairly small/modest effect. But exercise also does other things (e.g. increases blood circulation through the body, which may bring more nutrients to the follicles), so the net effect is difficult to estimate. In any case, I strongly suspect that the effect is small/very modest. I suspect that conclusive research does not exist on the subject.
There aren't enough scientists in the world sadly.

Or there isn't money.

We don't have all the answers. Which of hte two is more responsible in your opinion.