A few questions about hair loss at a young age:

HopeImNotBalding

Reaction score
Does early hair loss necessarily predict a worse end-state?
For example, if a 20 year old guy experiences mild diffuse thinning, is he pretty much doomed to lose it all since the hair loss is starting so early?
Is it unprecedented for someone with this type of early hair loss to only lose a certain amount and maintain most of the remaining hair?

I'm wondering because my dad started thinning at around 30 and is now 53 with noticeable hair loss, but definitely an acceptable amount of hair for his age (btw he's never used any treatment).

I understand that everyone's hair loss is different, but maybe some of you older guys on here may have experienced hair loss at an early age that never really progressed very far.

terrapin12

Established Member
Reaction score
Had this conversation with my dermatologist a few days ago. He told me there was no way to predict your final balding pattern, and that you may never lose all your hair. It could thin to a point and stop. It all depends.

Reaction score
IMO based on my experiences those who start the balding process very early on (teens/very early 20's) are probably in for some signifcant balding. I don't know anyone personally that started balding early on, only for it to stop without any intervention at NW2.5/3 status. It probably does happen but I would think its rare.

I believe in general though the early onset of male pattern baldness is not a good omen and the likely prognosis is some serious norwoodage. I started balding at 17 (approaching 22) just now and I can see myself being Norwood 4/5 by the time I'm mid 20's and completely bald by 30 unless finasteride works wonders for me. :shakehead:

Megadeth

Established Member
Reaction score
SheSawMyCombover said:
IMO based on my experiences those who start the balding process very early on (teens/very early 20's) are probably in for some signifcant balding. I don't know anyone personally that started balding early on, only for it to stop without any intervention at NW2.5/3 status. It probably does happen but I would think its rare.

I believe in general though the early onset of male pattern baldness is not a good omen and the likely prognosis is some serious norwoodage. I started balding at 17 (approaching 22) just now and I can see myself being Norwood 4/5 by the time I'm mid 20's and completely bald by 30 unless finasteride works wonders for me. :shakehead:

I think it just depends. I noticed some thinning at age 18, and nearly 10 years later, my hair has gotten worse, but not by a dramatic amount. I'm still NW2 with a little bit of thinning near the crown. I'll probably make it out of my 20's with hair, but I won't see 40 with a full head of hair, unless I start treatment now.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah it depends. I started balding at around 21-22, and now at 28 I'm very thin on top and will most likely be slick by 30. UNLESS finasteride, which I started again a week ago, works.

HopeImNotBalding

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers guys. I'm just going to try to be as optimistic as possible (I feel like convincing yourself you'll go completely bald can almost be a self-fulfilling prophecy) and keep an eye on it.

John979

Established Member
Reaction score
SheSawMyCombover said:

Unfortunately, this was my experience.