A few concerns

justasking

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought finasteride (finpecia) from a generics website and I'm starting with 1/4 gram a day, since I'm a hot responder to anti dht stuff of all kinds and I shed like crazy. I understand that the dosage can be effective down to .2, so I'm going to do this for a few weeks and see what happens. Then I'm going to up it to .5 and stay there. I'm in a job where I have to look good all the time, so I'm trying to avoid any more big sheds. Saw palmetto gave me huge sheds, big regrowth, and then another big shed. Too much of a roller coaster for me. It also made my emotions unmanageable. If it wasn't for Toppik, I'd be f**ked. That stuff saves me.

What do any of you know about finasteride and depression? I have a big problem with depression, up and down, and when I'm down, I want to die. The only thing that stops me is I love my family. So am I stupid to take this stuff? I read that it can make mood problems worse.

I seem to be shedding again after a few days on this stuff. Is that related, or is it too soon and this is just a minoxidil shed? I've reduced the amount of minoxidil 5% I'm using the past few days and I'm wondering if that's why the shed now.

I've dropped folligen...it wreaked havoc on my scalp...and I'm back to Tricomin daily and laser comb a couple of times a week.

justasking

Established Member
Reaction score
Oops

That should have been a quarter mg, not gram! God, if I took that much, my dick would fall off!

garthbrooks

Established Member
Reaction score
i'm picturing ralph wiggum picking his nose, while he's working at his important job where he has to look good, and coming home to his family everynight. wierd.

i can't really help you, but the contrast between your avatar, and the post seemed amusing so i had to mention something. good luck with some real responses.

justasking

Established Member
Reaction score
hot responder

I'm a hot responder because anything I've tried that suppresses dht -- saw palmetto, spironolactone, nizoral -- makes me shed like crazy. I think that means that if I find the right thing in the right dosage, I'd grow back hair, because I do go through phenomenal regrowth sometimes after a huge shed. I've been finpecia .2 for almost two weeks now and I use a lot of Rogaine once or twice a day plus Tricomin and laser comb. 'm going to up it to .5 in a while but I'm trying to sneak up on my hair so it doesn't go through a huge shed like it likes to do. In the last few days my hair has started regrowing fast, just like it did last month. Then it sheds out badly. It's like I'm in a monthly cycle. But maybe this time it will stick around...HairLossTalk.com sez that saw palmetto just keeps causing sheds, so I'm hoping finpecia will be different. I'm also taking Chrysin to prevent aromatization to estrogen. I've had gyno in the past and it took forever to get rid of it.

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
justasking
i don't know about your depression, but finasteride isn't exactly a mood altering drug. i have read before that men with low testosterone can become agitated, so men that are given a testosterone injections have a more cheerful mood. Suppressing the 5AR enzymes lowers DHT and it also means that theres more free testosterone in the body because these enzymes are no longer interacting and taking the testosterone.

Stingray

Reaction score
But that is only a temporary increase until the body adjusts to the decrease in DHT production. The normal functioning body will not produce more of a hormone than it needs to operate. When you remove, or reduce a hormone, the body will try to compensate. Reduce testosterones, more free estrogens will bind to receptors... If you are depressed, altering your hormones in any way can potentially be catastrophic if you can't adapt to the changes.

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
Hormones are a complex issue, to answer his question I can't see procepia effecting his mood swings

Stingray

Reaction score
I'll agree. You should see a doctor about it.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
justasking said:
I bought finasteride (finpecia) from a generics website and I'm starting with 1/4 gram a day, since I'm a hot responder to anti dht stuff of all kinds and I shed like crazy. I understand that the dosage can be effective down to .2, so I'm going to do this for a few weeks and see what happens. Then I'm going to up it to .5 and stay there. I'm in a job where I have to look good all the time, so I'm trying to avoid any more big sheds. Saw palmetto gave me huge sheds, big regrowth, and then another big shed. Too much of a roller coaster for me. It also made my emotions unmanageable. If it wasn't for Toppik, I'd be f**ked. That stuff saves me.

What do any of you know about finasteride and depression? I have a big problem with depression, up and down, and when I'm down, I want to die. The only thing that stops me is I love my family. So am I stupid to take this stuff? I read that it can make mood problems worse.

I seem to be shedding again after a few days on this stuff. Is that related, or is it too soon and this is just a minoxidil shed? I've reduced the amount of minoxidil 5% I'm using the past few days and I'm wondering if that's why the shed now.

I've dropped folligen...it wreaked havoc on my scalp...and I'm back to Tricomin daily and laser comb a couple of times a week.

I have had a problem with depression/anxiety. I have started taking 5-htp along with st. john's wart and is has worked extremely well, with most credit going to the 5-htp. Do a search on it and see what has been discovered about it, it is quite impressive.

Anyways, I experienced an increase in libido during the 1st month or so on propecia. Followed by a decreased libido overall feeling extremely lethargic and very lousy. This lasted for 2-3 weeks. I was convinced I received a batch of finast. from india that had impurities in it which were making feel like crap. Anyways, this subsided, and I feel much better. I started l-arginine recently so I will use up the bottle I bought and see how I feel in the weeks afterward. Anyways, depression runs in my family so I was concerned also but remember, the views expressed in this thread are opinion, so take them all with a grain of salt, including mine. I seemed to be in the same boat as yourself, and it turned out ok for me.. so far. it seems that depression and hair loss run hand and hand.. whether that is the result of each of other or despite each other, I don't know.

good luck.

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of depression and hairloss running hand in hand, they seem klike two seperate things to me