A disturbing revelation

nate30

Reaction score
So last week my father came up to visit me. He's in his late 60s, has a sizable bald spot on his crown and diffuse hair, but still has something of a hairline. My grandfather on his side had a reasonably full head of hair into old age, whereas my maternal grandfather was quite bald in middle age. Anyway somehow we got onto the topic of hair, and I mentioned my sordid history with Finasteride (which I've been off for several years). To my surprise, he tells me he's been taking Proscar for the past ten years for BPH. My mind was blown, not only because I've never known another finasteride user in the flesh, but also because I was holding onto the glimmer of hope that my hairloss wouldn't be as aggressive as my grandfather's and I would take more after my father. But the fact that he has a bald crown (which is a relatively recent development by my recollection) even on finasteride does not bode well. Help me, science. :shock:

And for those that are curious, apparently everything's still working down there (I didn't want to pry too deeply). :freak:

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride isn't bulletproof, by most accounts it regrows a bit, hits it's peak at two years and from then people slowly lose hair. Sometimes hair loss picks up pace. He probably didn't use minoxidil which helps or switch to dutasteride, a stronger treatment. These buy you more time. New technology is our best hope for long term (20+) years hair maintenance/regrowth, current treatments have their limits.

nate30

Reaction score
Indeed. I don't think my father was ever concerned enough about hair loss to take a drug for it (and certainly not a hardcore drug like Dutasteride), his use is purely for BPH. A lot of men have the idea that Finasteride stops hairloss indefinitely, but I doubt even dutasteride can do that when we're talking a span of decades.