a definitive method of determining how many hairs YOU loose

everysixseconds

Established Member
Reaction score
a definitive method of determining how many hairs YOU loose per day.

has anybody got a scientifically accurate one? how did those people who claim loosing an average of 100 + or - 50 hairs a day is normal get their figures?

the aim of this exercise would be to a gauge a reasonably accurate hair shed count so as to determine if one is actually shedding or wether its all in the mind. of course, the person would have to perform this test before starting their medication to get an idea of what their typical hair shed per day is in order for the result to have any meaning.

also it can be a good way of determing how long the hair cycle for each individual is. of course, this would only be possible if the number of hairs shed is replaced by an identical number of new growing hairs (ie maintenance). from this we can guage an idea on when to see results. typically, the all hair needs to cycle over at least once for any significant result. and some poeple have longer and or shorter cycles so they will be able to accurately predict the day they can begin to start expecting things to get better instead of just counting the days.

Thanks guys! if this thing is to succeed we may require the help of some mathmeticians, so you guys, step out of the shadows!

Kind Regards!

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
it is probably impossible to count how much hair you shed in a day. you must remember the hair you shed in the sink isnt all the hair you shed. you might shed when you go outside and not even notice it, there would be some on your shoulders and neck and there might not be. there might be some on your washroom floor, on the carpet. you cannot accurately guage your hairloss at all.

how did the experts come by the 50 - 100 hair a day normal theory?.. they probably did the math where they said 10% of the hair is in a telogen phase at any moment. and some of that hair falls out every day. *shrug

if you still wanna collect the hair you lose, *cough...i'd suggest you wear one of those upside down umbrella like thingies the vets give the dogs so they dont bite themselves or whatever. you wear it at your neck...and you sit home all day long so the hair you lose doesnt fly away with the wind.. :lol: .. sit in one place for a day and keep shaking your head from side to side . at the end of the day all the hair you lose should be in the dish like thingy . Good luck :D

everysixseconds

Established Member
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol:

i liked that!

Shinyscalp23

Established Member
Reaction score
shedding

hows this for weird? im on minoxidil 5% with retin-a .6 ml twice a day as prescribed by my derm---after 4 months im still shedding like a mofo but my bald spot is slightly filling in at the same time---the other day my father thought i had my toppik on when i didnt-so i guess its working despite all the shedding--now i dunno bout u guys but i think thats weird--sheddign and filling in at simultaneously-and he wasnt trying to flatter me either--considering he calls toppik "that shoe polish sh*t"--he was like "oh mike u must have that shoe polish sh*t on.."and i was like "nope its just my hair..the crap the derms givin me works i guess eh?"....what does that say about your hairs life cycle and so on?And its determination of how much youre gonna lose?In my case none, or is it a determination of how much more to come?(if youre on the meds that is)

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
shiny don't use retin a in the morning and go out on the sun. it will irritate your scalp and will do more harm than good.
(search for retin-A).

Shinyscalp23

Established Member
Reaction score
ya i know what you mean, but Im still using it in the morning...in the beginning it burned the f**k out of my scalp with sun, esp living in florida...but my skin seems to be okay with it--no burning, no irritation, and no scalp shredding...whatever im doing is working so im gonna keep it up