A Day With Finasteride And My Next Steps

GRP213

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Everyone-

This is my first post ever here on HairLossTalk.com. I've visited the site many times over the past month, reading different views and experiences with hair loss and remedies. Thank you very much to those who post; there are lots of folks out there who benefit from your shared stories and opinions.

Some quick background on myself; I am a 28 year old white male, with blonde hair. I'm healthy and don't have any outstanding medical issues. I do stay active to stay "in shape", but I'm not gym rat by any means. I eat a balanced diet as much as possible. I very rarely drink alcohol, do not smoke and do not use drugs. I work in technology, in your typical office environment.

Over the past 5 years I've noticed a slow but steady receding hairline and general thinning of my "top" hair. The thinning has been particularly bothersome. Up until this started, I had a wonderful, thick head of hair. My father gradually lost all of his "top" hair as he progressed into his late 30's and early 40's. By his mid 40's, he decided to cue ball it and shaved it all. He's never looked back. He's now in his early 50's and still shaving it all off. I may follow his lead, but all things equal, I do enjoy my hair.

About two years ago I decided I'd be satisfied if I could just keep what I have. I started using Rogaine foam twice a day. I did this for about 16 months. I did not notice any improvement or loss. What I did notice however, was that using the foam actually made my hair look thinner! (I had a picture of the top of my head taken by a friend and could clearly see my scalp, even though there is a good amount of hair there) After figuring this out, I decided to stop the Rogaine. Since then, I've seen no changes; however, my hair does look better without Rogaine foam in it.

I had been reading some success stories about finasteride and thought I would give it a go. My dermatologist gave me a script for 1mg of finasteride. I picked it up and took one pill last night.

Today about half way through the day, I began to experience a dull, ache-type pain in both my testicles. It was annoying, but bearable. (It's exactly like the "blue-balls" feeling us fellas have all experienced in our lives at times.) I also noticed after urinating, I didn't feel like I was "done", even though there was nothing left. This sensation went away 2-3 minutes after zipping up.

Well folks, that's all I needed to call this off. I spent the day reading as many reviews as I could, from both the success and failure aisles of finasteride users. I've read that these are common side effects, but I'm not too confident now.

Here are some of my thoughts....

A GP doctor I used to see and trusted completely once told me that "for the most part, pain is your body's way of getting your attention and indicate something isn't right" To me, this continues to make a lot of sense.

This may be ignorant to say, because I've read and at least comprehend the mechanism behind finasteride, however...I have a difficult time justifying a drug which causes these issues, when it's supposed to be focused on your hair, which is very different from your junk. Yes, I've read about how the drug works by inhibiting the enzyme which converts testosterone to DHT...and these body chemicals are focused in the testicles....etc. But again, it just seems like a difficult connection to justify, in the common sense. On the flip side for instance, if the drug instead caused hair in other parts of your body to turn green, I'd be more understanding of the side effect and it's connection to the intended purpose.

At the end of the day, I'm not a great gambler, so I think I'll take a pass. But I have to encourage you to make your own informed decision about any hair loss treatment, finasteride or other. Many of you have had great success with finasteride and it's great you were able to accomplish your goals. Maybe there's a new solution in the works that might help others as well.