a bald person of 20 years, any hope ?

fuggles

Established Member
Reaction score
i know a person who has been bald for 20 years

Ive told him what i take, the big 3, biotin and msm,

But Would that work for someone bald for 20 years ?

Lets say, success would be a norwood 1 or 2 from baldness

Hoppi

Reaction score
wow.. heh :)

I dunno man the follicles will probably be gone by now :(

If you want to give it your best shot, try something like casperz' KSR regimen, and also apparently removing sebum and dead skin from the scalp can help the follicles that ARE still there (long buried under natural accumulation of those 2 things) grow again.

I wouldn't make any promises though ._.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Probably about as much hope as digging up Elvis and trying CPR.

fuggles

Established Member
Reaction score
haha !

I heard rosemary oil is good for sebum, and is contained in one of the big 3 anyway

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I disagree with the naysayers.

I am not of the opinion that the hair follicle totally dies. There is no scientifc evidence lending much to either side. We have seen some people with totally bald spots for long periods of time start to grow back, while usually it doesn't.

Chances are, much won't happen. He will probably not have full coverage ever again. However, if he wants to try it, I'd be interested in seeing the results. There is always a chance he might get some decent coverage (probably not anything thick).

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
fuggles said:
haha !

I heard rosemary oil is good for sebum, and is contained in one of the big 3 anyway

I dont think there is any Rosemary oil in the big 3 bro.

fuggles

Established Member
Reaction score
No, i meant to say it is an ingredient in one of the topical products,

Not rosemary oil by iself as one of the big 3

fuggles

Established Member
Reaction score
so he won't even make it to a norwood 2 , even if he tried everything

let's pretend he has an endless stream of money and he tried everything,

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
fuggles said:
so he won't even make it to a norwood 2 , even if he tried everything

let's pretend he has an endless stream of money and he tried everything,

He might regrow in the pattern of a NW2 but there is little chance he'd regain any real thickness.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
If the big three worked like the ignorant public assumes, then there wouldn't be any bald guys anymore. But alas there are plenty, only proving that the current available treatments are dog crap. How much do you want to bet that when follicle cloning finally comes out that it will be so ineffective that it will only be used to thicken up conventional hair transplants and only be recommended (yet again) to those with minimal to moderate hairloss and by no means a solution for those of us who are already bald.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You won't know till you try. I was slick on the center crown for at least 10 years and thinning for about 10 more before that. I think if you throw everything at it (minoxidil, finasteride, nizoral, retin a, peels, vitamins, diet, etc) there is a chance. The question to ask yourself is "Is it worth the time, cost, effort and possible side effects for getting back some hair". For me (for now) the answer is yes since I don't have and side-effects.

I'm not sure where I stand on the Norwood scale, I suspect I went from
Norwood 5 or maybe NW6 to at best NW3 but probably NW4. So I jumped about 2 Norwood scales at best.

bigentries

Established Member
Reaction score
I discussed my doctor about me using finasteride as I'm getting it from a dermatologist
He is a 30-40 year old NW6-7 so it took me time to bring the topic.
He was OK with me using it and told me a story.
All of the males in his family go bald early. I knew his uncle (already retired) as he worked in the clinic before.
Apparently his uncle was bald until he started developing prostate problems and had to take proscar (5mgs of finasteride)
He didn't had the wildest mane in the world, but with strategic combing it was a very decent head of hair for a man his age, not something one would consider "bald"

So yeah, some people can grow hair after long periods of baldness.
Try it for a year or two and see if it works for you.