A 5 year update and advice to some of the young guys out there.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Some of you old-timers may remember me. I registered here in April 2008 at the age of 21 because my hairline was starting to recede. After I posted my original pics, I had a lot of people tell me it was probably just a mature hairline and that I shouldn't worry about it.

Well, I didn't believe them and proceeded to obsess over my hair on a daily basis for the next three years. Four failed stints of Proscar/Propecia, three failed stints of Rogaine Foam, hundreds of Nizoral rinses, and finally, two years of completely not giving a **** about my hair later, and I can say the naysayers were 100 percent correct.

April 2008 (age 21):
YdR9ReA.jpg

April 2013 (age 26):
YnyA5fi.jpg

That brings me to my advice: For you young guys who are freaking out over recession: STOP. If you're not thinning anywhere else, there's a good chance you actually ARE just developing a mature hairline. Don't immediately jump on Rogaine/finasteride. Just chill out for a year and try to forget about your hair. Stop checking your hairline. Live your life. And if your hair still looks pretty much the same in one year's time, then your hair is probably going to look the same in 5-10 years too.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Yeah given the current state of treatments I would agree. You dont want to be on this stuff unless you need to be.

ubcguy

Reaction score
Some of you old-timers may remember me. I registered here in April 2008 at the age of 21 because my hairline was starting to recede. After I posted my original pics, I had a lot of people tell me it was probably just a mature hairline and that I shouldn't worry about it.

Well, I didn't believe them and proceeded to obsess over my hair on a daily basis for the next three years. Four failed stints of Proscar/Propecia, three failed stints of Rogaine Foam, hundreds of Nizoral rinses, and finally, two years of completely not giving a **** about my hair later, and I can say the naysayers were 100 percent correct.

April 2008 (age 21):
View attachment 19959

April 2013 (age 26):
View attachment 19960

That brings me to my advice: For you young guys who are freaking out over recession: STOP. If you're not thinning anywhere else, there's a good chance you actually ARE just developing a mature hairline. Don't immediately jump on Rogaine/finasteride. Just chill out for a year and try to forget about your hair. Stop checking your hairline. Live your life. And if your hair still looks pretty much the same in one year's time, then your hair is probably going to look the same in 5-10 years too.

Thanks for this! I'm 22 and I just started stressing out over hair loss in the past couple of days. My hair line looks somewhat like yours (and it has for a year or two) but I started over-thinking things after there was a bunch of hair left in the shower. I'm still going to keep an eye on it, but this makes me relax a little, which is great because all I have been doing is looking up prevention methods for the last day.

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this! I'm 22 and I just started stressing out over hair loss in the past couple of days. My hair line looks somewhat like yours (and it has for a year or two) but I started over-thinking things after there was a bunch of hair left in the shower. I'm still going to keep an eye on it, but this makes me relax a little, which is great because all I have been doing is looking up prevention methods for the last day.

Please... Hair in your shower has nothing to do with your male pattern baldness. When do you - obsessive shower observers - realize it eventually?

thiswomps

Reaction score
Nice to see posts like this. I don't know what to think of my hair because their is not much recession, and I don't have thinning anywhere else, and the recession I do have came very very slowly, started 2 years ago and it has barely moved (although it has, just a tad) . During this recession I noticed next to zero thinning, if at all. My recession isn't even noticeable, I just want to stop it from becoming noticeable, but in doing so am putting myself in danger with finasteride I guess, even though the only sides I've had in lethargy.

californiaoceans911

Established Member
Reaction score
Would you give this same advice to someone who is 30? My hairline has been "maturing" since I was 23, and at 30 I'm not sure if it is accelerating or just in my head. Lot's of people say get on finasteride while you can, would you agree for someone who is 30?

Would love your opinion.

Reaction score
are you guys serious ?

what is he ? a soothsayer or some sort of shaman to tell you if you will keep your hair ?

baldness is unpredictable , you can be living the good days until your 40's without even expecting that the baldness is actually lurking around.

everyone is different , the overall thinking here is : just leave it out ,because you stressing or being worried about it won't change a thing.

(in fact stressing would make it even worse ...)

Abg4425

Reaction score
Hey Thicknthin - does your hair shed a lot, or not really? My hairline looks somewhat like yours, but what seems to be fairly aggressive shedding (10-20 in shower, a few falling out whenever I comb) is leading me to believe that my hair won't hold up.

Any insight on this?