9 months on Propecia - how much longer?

ShatnersRug

Reaction score
It's been almost exactly 9 months. I am 24 and I have recession at the front and temples, thinning on top and a tiny spot on the vertex. I've noticed no positive changes. I still lose many hairs every day, about 50-100 or more, I'd guess. My hair seems to have gotten thinner and receded more, but I can't be sure. I am sure it hasn't gotten any better. How can I know whether this is working or not, and when should I try more aggressive measures?

thoradas

Reaction score
Very good question. Though, I don't have an answer, I just felt like responding due to the fact that your hair situation and age are very much like mine, and come this Thursday I will be hitting my meager one month mark on Propecia alone. I would like to ask you a question, however. I have taken the drug regularly for nearly a month, and have experienced not one single minute side effect. Would you take this to mean that I won't at all? I am just curious, as I was quite worried about a few of the known effects of taking the little pill. Going back to your question, most people have said to give it a year, but my dermatologist said that six months is a good indicator in testing the drug's effectiveness, or lack thereof. I would say to give it a bit more time, at least 3 more months, in order to give the full year's worth. Then move onto Rogaine, or the like if you aren't satisfied. I have both Rogaine and Folligen on hand in case I decide on more aggressive approach. I am anxious to hear of your progress should you wait, or should you not. Good luck!

ShatnersRug

Reaction score
thoradas said:
I have taken the drug regularly for nearly a month, and have experienced not one single minute side effect. Would you take this to mean that I won't at all? I am just curious, as I was quite worried about a few of the known effects of taking the little pill.

Thanks. I did not experience any side effects either. If you haven't had any yet, you probably won't have any at all.

G

This is my opinion, but I think finasteride will work better for people aged 30+ that have had slow progression of male pattern baldness. If you have agressive male pattern baldness and are very young I can't really see how this drug would have any amazing results. It may help to slow things down but that's about it.

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
traxdata said:
This is my opinion, but I think finasteride will work better for people aged 30+ that have had slow progression of male pattern baldness. If you have agressive male pattern baldness and are very young I can't really see how this drug would have any amazing results. It may help to slow things down but that's about it.

Pretty much every medical journal/article I've read has said that the earlier Propecia is started, the better chances the guy has to retain a full head of hair. It makes sense to me, following out the thought, that if a guy is young and hops on Propecia while he has a decent head of hair, is able to at the least maintain for 5 to 6 years, possibly even 10, he's giving himself a really good chance that science will come up with something better.

And to the other guys that are in their twenties, for a moment, don't think about your hairloss but think about science 10-20 years in the future. I have pretty strong faith that by the time we're in our forties, there will be a very strong medication if not cure for hair loss by then. Even if you go somewhat to all bald now, you might be able to have a full head of hair again when you're in your 40s. That's still young in this day and age.

G

DarklyCharming said:
traxdata said:

Pretty much every medical journal/article I've read has said that the earlier Propecia is started, the better chances the guy has to retain a full head of hair. It makes sense to me, following out the thought, that if a guy is young and hops on Propecia while he has a decent head of hair, is able to at the least maintain for 5 to 6 years, possibly even 10, he's giving himself a really good chance that science will come up with something better.

And to the other guys that are in their twenties, for a moment, don't think about your hairloss but think about science 10-20 years in the future. I have pretty strong faith that by the time we're in our forties, there will be a very strong medication if not cure for hair loss by then. Even if you go somewhat to all bald now, you might be able to have a full head of hair again when you're in your 40s. That's still young in this day and age.

I hope it's true... But if you think about.... 20 year old with agressive male pattern baldness. I don't think even finasteride could do amazing things. It may help but I feel that the agressive nature will overpower the finasteride in the long run....

jdell

Reaction score
I'm pretty much in the same boat. 23, it's to the point where I can't really hide it anymore. I've been taking Propecia for a little over a year(good from 6-9months not good from 9-13) and just got prescribed Proscar. I think I'm going to have to up my dose a little.
:( That doesn't sound good(to me at least) for the long term. If I'm not having a good response now, odds are I'll just adjust and it won't last either. I don't want to give up, but I don't see much more I can do.

My regimen=propecia/Rogaine
5%/TGel and Nizoral