9 months of Propeica

propeciauser

Reaction score
I have been using Propecia for past 9 months and here are my observations:
- After 30-45 days hair loss had more or less stopped.
- After about 4 months I started losing lot of hair for about 2 months and then it slowed down. The hair loss was mostly in the crown with almost no hair loss in the back and on the sides.
- Around 6 months stage I noticed an increase in hair around the crown!
- After 8 months shedding reocurred and is continuing for the last 45 days. I hope that I am in another shedding phase and will result in thicker hair after it stops.

Side Effects:
1. I take the pill at night after food and believe I have noticed slightly increased urination.(I sleep around 12 and never woke up in the middle of the night to urinate before now I do sometimes. Even if I don't wake up in the middle by 7 am I have to wake up as I have to go to the bathroom to urinate)
2. Dark circles around the eye not sure if it is related though.
3. Hair in the front has become curly.

Lizzad

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Main input i have is to say, if you want regrowth (in any area) you'd be wise to add minoxidil (generic is fine). These 2 grugs work very well together! :hairy:

G

Lizzad said:
Main input i have is to say, if you want regrowth (in any area) you'd be wise to add minoxidil (generic is fine). These 2 grugs work very well together! :hairy:

I second that. Based on some recent reading, I would also add Folligen to complete the program (assuming you are using Nizoral shampoo too!).

Good luck

propeciauser

Reaction score
Sorry that I forgot to mention I was using 2% Rogaine along with Propecia for first 2 months. I stopped Rogaine for a month and restarted with 5% Rogaine for about 2 months during which my shedding increased dramatically. I freaked out and stopped using Rogaine. Later I realized that the shedding was very likely due to Propecia. I have been thinking about going back on Rogaine again.

G

If you are going to go back on Rogaine then stay on it for crying out loud. At least 8 months to see what happens. Sheds are part of the response to treatment with Rogaine, too. If you keep going on and off of it you are doing more harm than good.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
propeciauser said:
Side Effects:
1. I take the pill at night after food and believe I have noticed slightly increased urination.(I sleep around 12 and never woke up in the middle of the night to urinate before now I do sometimes. Even if I don't wake up in the middle by 7 am I have to wake up as I have to go to the bathroom to urinate)
2. Dark circles around the eye not sure if it is related though.
3. Hair in the front has become curly.

Maybe side effect #2 is an effect of #1,.

The hair in front on mine is somewhat curly too. I am hoping this is due to increases in shaft diamiter. The curlyness provides better coverage, which is nice.

richlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Dark circles under the eyes is a side effect of propecia. It sucks , try using some flaxseed oil daily (internally). I think it has to do with water retention caused by finasteride. Minoxidil causes a similar side effect.

G

Propeciauser, so you regrew some hair in your crown and got back everything you lost for at least a little while?

And Bruce, which is better tricomen or folligen? They seem the same to me whats the difference?

propeciauser

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your responses.

YoungGuy17, I think I did get back all the hair I had lost in the crown area for a while. I hope it happens after this round of shedding.

flux, I hope that my hair becoming curly especially in the front is due to increases in shaft diameter. Do you know if some other people have had a similar experience?

richlocks, have you heard of people having dark circles under their eyes because of propecia use?