9 Month Update...

douggie

Established Member
Reaction score
I put my update up at 6 months and figured I would put one up at 9 months. Actually, I am almost at 10 motnhs, but I have been busy. I wanted to wait because I didn't want to freak anyone out over any sheds that may come since around the 6 month mark seems to be where they begin.

Well, I have been taking nizoral for 15 months now and finasteride for 10 months. I am a diffuse thinner and I first noticed thinning 2 xmas' ago. It took me 9 months to cave in and get proscar and I am glad I did. I noticed the thinning because I was spiking my hair and I gradually saw more and more scalp over a period of about 9 months until it was very apparent to all that I was thinning. I had to stop spiking my hair because it was not very noticeable when I parted my hair to the side like I used to.

For the first 3 months on finasteride, nothing really happened. I thought i was on a shed, but my hair was long so I think it was more due to the pulling of it while showering. At around 6 months, I finally got a haircut and was very pleased with the results. In the middle of my 7th month, big time shed. I would guesstimate that at least 60-80 hairs would come out in the shower and I would be finding hairs on my keyboard, etc. This went on for about 4-6 weeks, minimum. Even though I was losing tons of hair, it didn't really show up much until I got butchered at my last haircut. She went far too low for my tastes, but it still wasn't that bad.

What is very odd is that this shed ended very abruptly, one day 80 hairs in the shower, the next, like 15. I have shed very little for the last 3 weeks and what was really strange was that I was walking by the mirror yesterday and my hair was all messed up. I decided to spike it up and see what we had and I was shocked. It was not perfect, but I would say it was at least a 30% improvement. To be honest, I would say my expectations were at most 20% improvement and that would be at least 3 months down the line.

Well, that is all I've got. My advice is to ride out your sheds, have realistic expectations, and you will be quite happy with the results.

G

I'm glad you came back to post an update douggie. Things sound like they are going good. Thanks for the advice.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
congratulations!!

a lot of us it seems have lately been wanting to hear some good regrowth stories. and seeing as you shed for 4-6 months, minimum, and your hair is now in good condition, this gives up some hope. im a diffuse thinner on finasteride too..ya never know :D

so your hair is about 30% better...than baseline, right?

douggie

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, about 30% from the day I started finasteride is my best guesstimate. I will know for sure when I get my haircut later this week.

douggie

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, got my haircut today and here is what I noticed.

First, she used to need to make about 15 cuts with the blending sheers, today she made like 5.

Second, she usually spends 10 minutes blowdrying and styling it, especially on the part, today she did it in like 2 minutes.

This could be all due to her getting better at cutting my hair, but I noticed one other thing. My worst part, which I noticed big time last hair cut, is on my part near the front of the hairline. Well, when it is wet it is really noticeable, but it wasn't today, I was psyched.

So I got home and decided to give it a try, I spiked my hair up and there was coverage everywhere, no bad spots. I haven't used gel in almost a year because of this and now I can.

I can definitely say that the coverage is better because my existing hair is thicker, big time. There is still alot of space between hairs, but the hairs are nice and thick so there is no scalp showing. Well, that is it.

PS-Oh yeah, I would say that my improvement is more like 20% all over, but the change at the front of the part was very dramatic and makes a huge difference.

avri

Established Member
Reaction score
youngguy_uk said:
and seeing as you shed for 4-6 months, minimum
I believe his words were "This went on for about 4-6 weeks, minimum".

;)

avri

Wezz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
douggie said:
Well, got my haircut today and here is what I noticed.

First, she used to need to make about 15 cuts with the blending sheers, today she made like 5.

Second, she usually spends 10 minutes blowdrying and styling it, especially on the part, today she did it in like 2 minutes.

This could be all due to her getting better at cutting my hair, but I noticed one other thing. My worst part, which I noticed big time last hair cut, is on my part near the front of the hairline. Well, when it is wet it is really noticeable, but it wasn't today, I was psyched.

So I got home and decided to give it a try, I spiked my hair up and there was coverage everywhere, no bad spots. I haven't used gel in almost a year because of this and now I can.

I can definitely say that the coverage is better because my existing hair is thicker, big time. There is still alot of space between hairs, but the hairs are nice and thick so there is no scalp showing. Well, that is it.

PS-Oh yeah, I would say that my improvement is more like 20% all over, but the change at the front of the part was very dramatic and makes a huge difference.

Congrats , keep hopes up and enjoy life :D

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
CONGRATULATIONS!! i hope for this kind of success... and i think im seeing some now :) will keep you updated soon