8 year old has been losing hair for a couple of years

Hamida

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

My 8 year old daughter has been losing hair for a couple of years now, have been docs and have tried various shampoos but no luck.

she does have alopecia but not on her head, it’s just thinning hair all over especially at the front. Her iron levels are fine and she has a healthy balanced diet.

any advice would be appreciated.

Evocator

My Regimen
Reaction score
Am so sorry for her, did you try checking if she has any thyroid problems?

ninarosshairtherapy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I understand your concern about your daughter's hair loss. It must be frustrating to have tried various solutions without seeing results.

• Detailed Consultation: A more in-depth consultation with a dermatologist specializing in hair loss is crucial. They can examine your daughter's scalp, review her medical history, and perform any necessary tests to determine the exact cause of her hair loss.
  • Underlying Conditions: There are various reasons why a child might experience hair loss besides alopecia areata (which typically presents with patches of baldness). These include:
    • Thyroid problems
    • Nutritional deficiencies (beyond iron)
    • Certain medications
    • Stress
    • Scalp conditions like ringworm
  • Treatment Options: Once the cause is identified, the dermatologist can recommend the most appropriate treatment course for your daughter. This might involve: * Topical medications like minoxidil (though not typically used for children) * Addressing any underlying medical conditions * Dietary adjustments (if necessary) * Lifestyle modifications to manage stress (if applicable).

Get my hair back

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

My 8 year old daughter has been losing hair for a couple of years now, have been docs and have tried various shampoos but no luck.

she does have alopecia but not on her head, it’s just thinning hair all over especially at the front. Her iron levels are fine and she has a healthy balanced diet.

any advice would be appreciated.
It looks like diffuse alopecia. You need to do a full workup. Can you rule out cancer?