8.5 month results. Interpretation of results 5% minoxidil / Finasteride

stil

Reaction score
I was simply hoping to get some feedback regarding my current regimen + results with my hair loss.

As background:

I took Propecia 10 years ago in my early 20's but stopped and really didn't even need it.

In June 2009 (29-yrs-old), I noticed the beginning of significant thinning in the front half (forehead). I can also see hair loss on top when I take a photo and I can see a true contrast with the "line" that forms around the rear of the head and separates hair loss on top.

I decided to begin using 5% minoxidil 2x/daily. I administered this each day until July 2012 and finally went to see my doctor about getting on finasteride .

Until that time, I felt that the 5% minoxidil was at the very least helping to retain the hair I had (even though it was think in the front.

I specifically asked my primary doctor (and another I had contact with) if I "could" stop using the minoxidil each day once I started with the 1.25 finasteride . They both told me a resounding "Yes." They said that there was no reason to continue with the minoxidil 2x/day.

So in July 2012 I began taking the finasteride daily but I continued to apply the minoxidil for 5 months (until X-Mas 2012) since I wanted to finish the bottles I still had.

Since the beginning of this year, I have noticed that my hair has never been thinner and I have a feeling that this is because I stopped applying the minoxidil.

I has now been on finasteride for 8.5 months and I am curious to know what others think about what I should now do. I thought that I would have at least seen some kind of early results with taking the finasteride but watching (in pain) as I lose hair at a seemingly increased rate since I stopped with the minoxidil is heart-breaking.

Do you think that the minoxidil was more potent and/or effective than taking finasteride each day? Could this be? Do you think that the finasteride is useless for me since I have not seen any change in 8.5 months?

Thanks for any input.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
in order to stop the underlying process of male pattern baldness you really need to be on Finasteride. minoxidil on its own won't help much

why did you take it and stop in your early 20s? did you experience side effects?

stil

Reaction score
I started to take Propecia in my early 20's because I had a slightly receding hairline in the front (although my hair was still very thick) and I thought I wanted to at least keep what I had. I took it for perhaps a year or so and then I stopped - no side effects to mention. Honestly, I did not notice any further loss until I hit my very late 20's -which is when I began using minoxidil.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What is stopping you to use both finasteride and minoxidil? :) you said you used minoxidl til December last year so it might be that the minoxidil dependent hairs fall out. Get back on minoxidil with finasteride!!!