7 years on finasteride update

Baldingat188

Reaction score
First time logging into this forum in a long time but I am just now reaching the 7 year on finasteride so I figured some people may be curious of the results.

I started finasteride right around my 19th birthday to combat early stage diffuse thinning and mild recession. Diffusing in nw6 pattern and strong family history. I also used nizoral and minoxidil. Over the years I’ve completely stopped using nizoral and reduced my minoxidil use by a lot. As far as I can tell my hair is the exact same as it was when I first started 7 years ago which is a huge relief because I thought I would surely be bald in 2-3 years. At this point pretty much all I’m doing is taking 1 mg finasteride daily and occasional minoxidil use. 7 years in I hope this means I’ll respond forever but I suppose you never know.

Now the bad news is that despite my hair being good I have pretty bad sexual sides. I’m not sure if it’s from the finasteride but I really have trouble getting erections and cannot be intimate at all. I’m currently trying to find treatment options for this but I’m still not willing to quit finasteride as shitty as it is. I’m someone who actually could not function in society at all if I go bald therefore even being impotent is better than being bald. That being said it’s like I traded one issue for another. Although once again not sure if this is from the finasteride since I believe I may have had these issues before.

It_is_over_for_nw7

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
First time logging into this forum in a long time but I am just now reaching the 7 year on finasteride so I figured some people may be curious of the results.

I started finasteride right around my 19th birthday to combat early stage diffuse thinning and mild recession. Diffusing in nw6 pattern and strong family history. I also used nizoral and minoxidil. Over the years I’ve completely stopped using nizoral and reduced my minoxidil use by a lot. As far as I can tell my hair is the exact same as it was when I first started 7 years ago which is a huge relief because I thought I would surely be bald in 2-3 years. At this point pretty much all I’m doing is taking 1 mg finasteride daily and occasional minoxidil use. 7 years in I hope this means I’ll respond forever but I suppose you never know.

Now the bad news is that despite my hair being good I have pretty bad sexual sides. I’m not sure if it’s from the finasteride but I really have trouble getting erections and cannot be intimate at all. I’m currently trying to find treatment options for this but I’m still not willing to quit finasteride as shitty as it is. I’m someone who actually could not function in society at all if I go bald therefore even being impotent is better than being bald. That being said it’s like I traded one issue for another. Although once again not sure if this is from the finasteride since I believe I may have had these issues before.
I'd take ED over bald. Just buy viagara.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score

Its definitely finasteride lol. That sh*t gives me sexual sides too early on even. And u have used it for years. ED is one of the possible side effects of the drug even dont be in denial. Maybe switch to oral min and topical RU instead.

Baldingat188

Reaction score
It’s definitely finasteride lol. That sh*t gives me sexual sides too early on even. And u have used it for years. ED is one of the possible side effects of the drug even dont be in denial. Maybe switch to oral min and topical RU instead.
I want to try quitting but I don’t think I can risk it. It’s so over for me if I go bald.

Johnt1997

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, baldingat18, good to see one of the OG's from 2016-2020. Have you ever tried micro dosing. I take 0.5mg per day and have done since 2016

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
Topical topical topical. I was on oral for 14 years with sides the whole time. I switched to topical two years and my sides vanished and my hair is better than on oral. It was truly a unicorn for me.