6 week avodart update

powersam

Reaction score
alright so i'm on my 6th week. so far ive seen a reasonable amount of shedding which seems to be slowing down to some degree. The hair hasnt seemed to thin any more as such. As far as libido etc/ i have seen some increase in sex drive , definate increase in overall energy. Seem a little bit more calm also. There are some new hairs at the front of my hairline which are basically as thick as a vellus hair but probably over 1.5cm long. hopefully they'll start to thicken later on. So as it stands no huge regrowth , no big side effects , basically as with anything hair involved its gonna take some time.

preceding starting avodart i stopped all treatments (which are all the ones still listed in my profile) , waited around a week and had my testosterone, oestrogen and dht levels tested. The two weeks directly following my cessation of all treatments saw a huge increase in fallout , from practically nothing to quite frightening. My hair visibly thinned. Though this could just be because it had finally reached some length after shaving and i noticed the longer hairs falling while missing the short ones.
Then the dutasteride arrived. shedding possibly increased but what was noticeable was the hairs that were falling looked way healthier than they used to. thick and dark rather than the ratty little ones that were falling before.
But I would like to say that my crappio natural treatments did seem to do my hair some good, no regrowth but they did seem to slow stuff down.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
hey

im really interested in dutasteride because, being on propecia and only 18 years old, im looking into what i might do when propecias effects diminish for me. a few questions if i may?

1) how come you didnt start off on propecia?

2) am i right in saying propecia blocks of one type of 5 alpha reductase and dutasteride blocks off both types? do both types play a part in hair loss?

3) propecia blocks something like 67%(?) of dht...whats this figure with avodart?

4) what possible side effects may come with avodart..are they the same as finasteride except greater? does blocking off the other type of 5 alpha reductase have any separate sidies?

5) is avodart the name of the make of dutasteride (like propecia is the brand of finasteride)? how much do you pay for it and is it legal? i am living in the uk by the way.

if anyone could help answer these questions, would be much appreciated.

powersam

Reaction score
1. didnt start off on propecia because im not in it for the long haul. i want fast effective results in the short term that i can prolong with less invasive methods later down the track. something like the road hair transplant is taking. plus as far as public response goes the side effects of avodart seem less severe than dutasteride. At .5mg a day, made me get a little bit hornier really

2. yes dutasteride blocks more of type 2 and some of type 1 while finasteride only blocks 2. bryan tells me type 2 is the major contributor to hairloss.

3. finasteride blocks like 80-90% at the 1mg dosage , dutasteride up to 98% at .5mg

4. basically same side effects as propecia with no greater frequency found in the studies.

5. avodart is the name given to dutasteride by the drug company. It is legal , costs me $100 AUD a month and is definately available in the UK

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks for the response.

sounds good. il be doing more research into it but might look into switching to it if and when finasteride stops doing the job. wonder if switching from propecia to avodart will make much of a difference or not..will look into it. pretty damn expensive though!!

maddoc23

Established Member
Reaction score
Just to straighten up our data:

1. Finasteride (1mg) blocks up to 67%, but has more variability among different people.......meaning, in one person it may block 60% and in a different person 67%. Avodart (.5mg) blocks 90% DHT with less variability......meaning 90% is 90% in most people. 2.5mg blocks ~100%DHT but is not economically feasible.

2. Side effects are the same but with slightly higher frequency.

3. Cost is variable, but the cheapest I have seen is 106 euro for 90 avodart (with prescription). Without prescription the cheapest I have seen is 190 US dollars.

D

powersam

Reaction score
this is what Bryan told me and as we know his word is law:

"The DHT that has the most direct, harmful effect on the hair follicle comes from the type 2 enzyme in the dermal papilla, and Propecia probably inhibits about 85%-90% of that enzyme."

"Have you seen those finasteride/dutasteride graphs which I've posted in the past? They show that at a dose of 5mg/day, finasteride inhibits an average of about 90% of the type 2 enzyme, while dutasteride at the standard Avodart dosage (0.5 mg/day) inhibits around 98%-99% of the type 2 enzyme and probably a little over 50% of the type 1 enzyme (you have to extrapolate a little from the graph for those estimates). "