6 months on finasteride and minoxidil, starting to shed

Mapleman

Established Member
Reaction score
The situation
I've now been using finasteride (1.25 mg) and minoxidil Foam religiously daily for about 6 months. Everything has sort of thickened up, but i haven't seen any real regrowth yet. 1 week ago i noticed that more and more hair were falling out when i was shampooing and applying minoxidil. Today i got around 20 hairs in my hand when i was applying the foam, and when i got back from the gym i stroked my hands through my hair over the bathroom sink and another 15 fell out.

Keep in mind that almost all of these hairs were shorter than my current hair length, and they also looked wimpy. Could this be the beginning of a shed? Will it grow back? And how long will the shed last?

I do think this really is just a shed and a sign of the meds working, but i would very much like some reassurance from someone that have experienced the shed-regrowth cycle themselves.

Other info:
Three weeks ago i started using minoxidil once a day instead of twice a day, could this have had anything to do with the shed? I'm still using the same amount, im just not applying it in the morning.
I also started adding avodart once a week 2 months ago, could this have anything to do with the shed?

Thank you.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
All the best and yes this could have everything to do with your shedding.

Mapleman

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I really hope that its just a usual finasteride shed, the hairs that fall out are weak after all so it's most likely replacing it with stronger hair. Crossing my fingers that me dropping minoxidil to once a day isn't causing it. If avodart is the culprit, then that must be a good thing, probably just rushing the finasteride shed, or making my head drop the DHT damaged hairs faster.

argonflux

Reaction score
I am in the same boat as you. I have been on finasteride for about 9 months (no minoxidil). I saw growth all along my forehead and the little hairs have grown up nicely.

However I am still losing hair in the range of 50-75 a day. Why this is I'm not sure. I would have thought hair loss would be greatly reduced. I read that 1/3 of the hairs are in a particular state of growth and I'm wondering if I'm in a new shead phase or a phase that is eliminating small hairs and growing stronger hair.

Wishful thinking I guess