.5mg (half) propecia twice a day?

eleon33

Reaction score
Unsure if this has been asked before... but I was wondering, since finasteride halflife is 6 hours, how effective would it be to take .5 finasteride in the morning and another .5 before bedtime? Initial thought would tell me this is as effective as 1mg but might reduce sides? I was taking .5 a day and felt no sides, where as 1mg once a day there is a considerable difference.

Anyone tried this, or have any thoughts around it?

Thanks!

powersam

Reaction score
my uncles sides pretty much disappeared after he changed his dose to 0.5 twice a day rather than 1mg once a day. i make no claims as to how or why this would occur, all i can do is tell you it worked for him.

CCS

Reaction score
finasteride does not need a long half life. 5ar2 takes about a week to return to normal levels after finasteride bind to it. 5ar2 is what makes the DHT. So even though the finasteride is gone is 6 hours or so, it only takes 1-2 hours for it to shut down the 5ar2.

The only reason I'd take half twice a day is because finasteride does drop DHT to it's lowest level a few hours after taking it, and then it climbs maybe 20-30% before the next dose, and gradually approaches original levels. Taking half twice a day would give less variation in DHT levels. Maybe it would be better to have constant levels. I worry about this a bit since I take Proscar 1.25mg 4x per week.

Dutasteride 0.1mg per day would be much more consistent, though I think finasteride works better for me.