55% missing

Lisztman

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a question which has concerned me since I have been looking into hairloss treatments via 5AR inhibitors.
Basically, the clinical studies have only been able to account for 45% of all of the ingested dutasteride. Does anyone have any new information on what happens to the missing 55%?
This is one of the main reasons why I am not partaking of this stuff right now. Has there been any recent developments in regards to that aspect of the metabolization processes?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
What? You mean, scientists only know about 45% of the workings of dutaseteride? Where did you find this?

Lisztman

Reaction score
http://www.dutasteride.com/dutasteride- ... ology.html
Under the subheading "Dutasteride Metabolism and Elimination"
My father (a pharmacist) actually came upon this little known detail about the drug, and pointed it out to me.
You can actually find these exact numbers on the federally mandated online publication of the full clinical trials for the drug, which I have done before.

Anyways, scientists have only been able to trace where 45% of all of the dutasteride goes. The remaining 55% is unknown.
I think its obvious you haven't heard about that. :p
This can be cause for concern since one possible cause of this is that the liver retains a lot of this dutasteride. This could cause a build-up, and subsequently toxicity of the liver(never a good thing)

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Lisztman said:
Basically, the clinical studies have only been able to account for 45% of all of the ingested dutasteride. Does anyone have any new information on what happens to the missing 55%?
I haven't been able to find anything new and, as I remember it, the last time this issue was discussed on HairLossTalk.com it didn't get past supposition.

A couple of points lifted from Glaxo's prescribing information interested me:

i) "On average, at 12 months 11.5% of serum Dutasteride concentrations partitioned into semen."

ii) "Dutasteride and its metabolites were excreted mainly in faeces. As a percentage of dose, there was approximately 5% unchanged Dutasteride (1% to 15%) and 40% as Dutasteride-related metabolites (2% to 90%). Only trace amounts of unchanged Dutasteride were found in urine (<1%). Therefore, on average, the dose unaccounted for approximated 55% (range, 5% to 97%)."

So is the first point explaining where some of the missing dutasteride disappears to, or am I misunderstanding what they mean by it being "partitioned into semen"?

As for the second point, can anyone explain why there is such a huge discrepancy in the percentage of Dutasteride (and its metabolites) found in different patient's faeces, and, therefore, in the proportion of the dose unaccounted for? I realize there's bound to be a degree of variance between individuals, but for someone to have 97% unaccounted for, whilst for another it's just 5%, makes me question the accuracy of the figures.

Slarti