5 mg Finasteride-cut in pieces-or take every third day

kbizzle

Reaction score
When going to fill my lastest prescription for Propecia at the Pharmacist he recommended that I switch to 5mg of Finasteride(generic) instead because it 1/3 the price of propecia. However, he told me to take one every 3 days. Is this the way to go or should i break the 5mg of Finasteride into 5 pieces and take one a day. The pills are very small and are blue and a rounded rectangle. Does anyone have experience or studies saying what to do?

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
There's a whole lot info out there on this topic. Most people cut a proscar into 4ths and take one a day. I do 5ths...but it really doesn't matter in the end, I reckon.

5mg every three days does sound excessive. My Doctor suggested half a pill twice a week...but as I mentioned before, I do 1/5th proscar a day.

JohnnySeville

Established Member
Reaction score
kbizzle said:
When going to fill my lastest prescription for Propecia at the Pharmacist he recommended that I switch to 5mg of Finasteride(generic) instead because it 1/3 the price of propecia. However, he told me to take one every 3 days. Is this the way to go or should i break the 5mg of Finasteride into 5 pieces and take one a day. The pills are very small and are blue and a rounded rectangle. Does anyone have experience or studies saying what to do?

I would recommend using the appropriate dose on a daily basis, it will enable you to keep stable blood levels of the drug which may optimize its efficiency.

indie85

Established Member
Reaction score
I recieved my proscar in the post the other day, tried cutting it using a razor and it is very hard, but you can just about manage it. It might be a bit off but i figure over the course of 5 days, you take each of the 5 pieces you've made, it'll average out to 1mg a day, even if each peice isnt exactly 1mg.
I would do that personally, rather than take 5mg every 3 days, your body wont have to deal with these sudden surges of finasteride that way IMO.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
johnnyseville said:
I would recommend using the appropriate dose on a daily basis, it will enable you to keep stable blood levels of the drug which may optimize its efficiency.

Blood levels of finasteride aren't "stable", even when you take a dose every day! With a half-life of just a few hours, there's quite a daily fluctuation in your bloodstream.

Bryan

JohnnySeville

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
johnnyseville said:

Blood levels of finasteride aren't "stable", even when you take a dose every day! With a half-life of just a few hours, there's quite a daily fluctuation in your bloodstream.

Bryan

Taking a medication, especially one with such a short half life, erractically, will ultimately result in less than stable levels. It certainly would be more advantageous in this manner than every 3 days! Perhaps you can get away with such as practice in a drug such as Dutasteride which exhibits a much longer half life, but not with Finasteride.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
johnnyseville said:
Taking a medication, especially one with such a short half life, erractically, will ultimately result in less than stable serum levels. It certainly would be more advantageous in this manner than every 3 days! Perhaps you can get away with such as practice in a drug such as Dutasteride which exhibits a much longer half life, but not with Finasteride.

Not necessarily. It's well-known that many people are using it successfully by taking it every other day or even every 3 days or so. Stewart Kobren is a prominent example. And as I said before, even when you DO take finasteride every single day, serum levels of the drug are STILL very unstable.

As I've pointed out numerous times, the reason that even intermittnet use of the drug works reasonably well is that the regeneration of the 5a-reductase type 2 enzyme is itself quite slow. Even with no finasteride at all in your bloodstream, it takes a while for DHT levels to slowly rise again.

JohnnySeville

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Not necessarily. It's well-known that many people are using it successfully by taking it every other day or even every 3 days or so. Stewart Kobren is a prominent example. And as I said before, even when you DO take finasteride every single day, serum levels of the drug are STILL very unstable.

As I've pointed out numerous times, the reason that even intermittnet use of the drug works reasonably well is that the regeneration of the 5a-reductase type 2 enzyme is itself quite slow. Even with no finasteride at all in your bloodstream, it takes a while for DHT levels to slowly rise again.

Stewart Kobren???

Did you mean Spencer Kobren? If so, he's a nut!

Anyway, I know from my limited experience with Finasteride, that recovery to any acceptable level of DHT, at least a point where I felt normal, took me 2 weeks, so your statement concerning the slow regeneration of the AR2 enzyme is correct.

Still, I feel that employing intermittant dosing, even under these situations would not afford the same level of efficacy as daily. I in no way am saying you would not get any benefits from it, or even very little benefit from it, but rather not the same level of benefit.

I do recall coming across some information within the last few months showing the benefit of daily dosing as opposed to intermittant, just have to look around and locate it again. Will certainly provide this info when I do.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
johnnyseville said:
Bryan said:

Stewart Kobren???

Did you mean Spencer Kobren? If so, he's a nut!

Anyway, I know from my limited experience with Finasteride, that recovery to any acceptable level of DHT, at least a point where I felt normal, took me 2 weeks, so your statement concerning the slow regeneration of the AR2 enzyme is correct.

Still, I feel that employing intermittant dosing, even under these situations would not afford the same level of efficacy as daily. I in no way am saying you would not get any benefits from it, or even very little benefit from it, but rather not the same level of benefit.

I do recall coming across some information within the last few months showing the benefit of daily dosing as opposed to intermittant, just have to look around and locate it again. Will certainly provide this info when I do.

kobren is a nut now? he forgot more about hairloss then you will EVER know.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
johnnyseville said:
Stewart Kobren???

Did you mean Spencer Kobren?

Yes. "Stewart" didn't sound quite right to me, but I couldn't for the life of me remember what his name was for sure! :)

johnnyseville said:

Correct. I've never said that intermittent dosing is as good as daily dosing, just that it's a reasonable way of effectively getting a reduced dosage of finasteride. And as long as people understand that the half-life of finasteride in the bloodstream has no particular relevance for the reason stated above, I'll be happy.

Bryan

kbizzle

Reaction score
Daily Dosing to me seems like the way to go especially because 30pills*5pieces=150 days of prescription. Any Ideas on how to cut these little bastards the best.

G

My doctor told me I should cut it into quarters. Honestly, it really doesn't matter, I cut it into 1/5ths sometimes or even 1/6ths depending on how cheap I feel that day. Many occasions I miss a day here and there too. The finasteride has been working for me for over 3 years now. Its not that big of a deal, just try to get around 5mg in you in 5 days.