4 month in now and still going downhill

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
On 0.25Mg per day, tiredness sides are tollerable. nizoral once a week and Spectral DNC once a day in front of very thin hairline round bald temples.

Unbelievably bad compared to baseline. I had a solid central hairline with recession at the temples. Now I have diffuse thinning for front scalp section and temples are back over an inch. Hair feels thinner all over.

The regieme has not slowed anything down if anything it may have quickened. Its so depressing to think finasteride was at the minimum slow things down and it appears to have done nothing.

Coming to this forum still gives me solice but treatments have failed me and its just a matter of time before I go bald.

I'll keep on the treatments even though they don't appear to work for me just in case a miracle happens, but i've been praying now for 4 months for that miracle.

Despite the number of successes here unfortunately I cannot see that i'm going to be one of them. God I hope things change.

Stu85

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmm...I think I know what you're going through. I've been on finasteride for almost 5 months and I feel like my hair has only got thinner. :( I didn't want to start Rogaine so soon but I feel like I have to, so I began with it last week.

I'm only 21, and though there is plenty of hairloss in my family, none of it has been so aggressive.

All I can say to you is what I keep saying to myself...you might be a late responder... the thinning may just be finasteride induced shedding and it will hopefully all grow back. Good luck.

sfperc

Reaction score
I feel the same. I started taking finasteride around Dec 1, 06 and my temples have receded, overall hair is thinner, and keeps coming out. I only think finasteride has made it much worse, it was never this bad. Plus, when I started my 2nd 3 month prescription I started to itch and had a burning sensation all day. I just stopped for 1 week, the burning stopped, then started again for 3-5 days and the burning came right back, so I stopped again. It's just not worth it.

Nathaniel

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hang in there boys, I went through that last year. Give it one full year unless you are having severe side effects.

G

Gotta give it a year. Think positive too, you don't want to believe this stuff isn't working!

By the way, you said you're using Spectral DNC only once a day. Does this mean you're using minoxidil in general just once a day? If so that's probably part of your probably. You would likely do no more than maintain by using that once per day if you're lucky even.

indie85

Established Member
Reaction score
I always think with these regimes is it should be a last resort, something you do just before the point you really are going bald, you've got nothing to loose. Otherwise with a bit of retreation in an otherwise healthy head of hair you could be just setting yourself up for dissapointment.

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nathaniel, hows your hair now? did it detoriorate and start coming back to baseline?

Fairtax, I try to do it twice a day but at least once, its really at the front of the hairline as I worry about minoxidil shed and as its so thin for first couple of inches I don't want to lose what I have there altogether. If it became stronger on finasteride then I would apply it further back into the hairline. Have you been seeing success on the Spectral?

We are looking for a turnaround to get back to baseline, that would be a dream

Jm0311

Reaction score
i wish i could get wood throughout the day...like i used to....i can still get it up. but it takes spankin it now

brentx

Established Member
Reaction score
Jm0311 said:
i wish i could get wood throughout the day...like i used to....i can still get it up. but it takes spankin it now

Mental..

Trust me dude..

When I first started taking finasteride, all I would think about was "oh my God it takes longer to get it up", and "damn my d*ck shrunk" ..

As soon as I forgot about it, BOOM I get wood throughout the day, on the bus, ALL the time like normal.. Chances are, you're the same as me..

STOP THINKING and LEAVE THIS BOARD FOR 3 MONTHS!

Knendell

Established Member
Reaction score
Jm0311 said:

I am the same way and it is not my mind playing tricks on me either. If I ever start dating again I think I will have to quit taking this stuff.
My reasoning is when I was at 1mg erections were tough and then I switched to .5mg and all of the sudden I was horny again. I guess once my system stabilized my libido went back down again. Not trying to scare anyone here. Its still not back to normal even on .5mg

G

gsxr60097 said:
Jm0311 said:

I am the same way and it is not my mind playing tricks on me either. If I ever start dating again I think I will have to quit taking this stuff.
My reasoning is when I was at 1mg erections were tough and then I switched to .5mg and all of the sudden I was horny again. I guess once my system stabilized my libido went back down again. Not trying to scare anyone here. Its still not back to normal even on .5mg

How long were you taking 1mg for and how long where you on 0.5mg until you had these sides again?

0.5mg reduces just about the same amount of DHT as 1mg so there really should've been no difference in sides???

You might think it is not psychological, but it likely is. Could be not, but likely is.

Knendell

Established Member
Reaction score
I took 1mg for almost 3 months and I was ecstatic just to have my head not itch so bad but then I thought about how my sex drive was so low. I then decreased to .5mg and it seems the drop in finasteride made my libido go up for about a week and a half and then it settled back down. But now the itching is at an all time worse. it doesn't even feel better after a shower. I don't know what to do now. Maybe go down to .25mg???

G

Well, even IF it is psychological you are getting physical side effects so you should do whatever you can to reduce this before you ever decide to have to stop altogether.

If you're down to 0.5mg/day now you should try taking it every other day (EOD). There's science behind this too and a lot of derms prescribe it that way. I'm taking 0.25mg EOD myself but I started off doing it this way.

You've been doing pretty good if you've put up with sides for 4 months now. Give the 0.5mg EOD a shot for about a month and if that doesn't work I'd go to 0.25mg/day and then 0.25mg EOD and see what happens. If the sides don't level off within a few months of doing 0.25mg EOD than you might have to make the switch to dutasteride.

Some expert please correct me if I'm wrong, but sides with finasteride does not necessarily = sides with dutasteride (and vice versa) right?

Are you using Revita shampoo? That may help with the itching, so would applying some EMU Oil. I've never heard of finasteride causing scalp itch though and I'm not even sure how that would happen.