4-6 reps , 6-8 or 8-10 for getting big

Goingat20

Reaction score
which one do you guys use to put on size?

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Stick to the 6 to 8 rep range, but lift enough weight where it makes it worth it.

Goingat20

Reaction score
Thanks, im going to change from 4-6 to 6 - 8.

87david

Established Member
Reaction score
I think the hard and fast rules of rep ranges are largely a myth. It has been my experience that some muscle groups need varying amounts of rep ranges. The calves are notoriously difficult to train and need an ungodly amount of reps to be forced to grow. However, I understand that everyone needs some structure to their program. Therefore, what I would do is just mix up your ranges every now and then. Sometimes, maybe just one day a week, go really heavy and low reps. And the other days, maybe just the opposite. In addition, one thing that I discovered from hanging around bodybuilding boards is that everyone thinks that their an expert. What works for them must naturally work for everyone else and vice-versa. Nothing could be further from the truth.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1456579

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
go to a bookstore and pick up the book scrawny to brawny, there is a lot of info in there and I must say it is pretty good, and I would recomend it through all of my research as a great read and a good book to have.

drinkrum

Reaction score
I recommend doing 10-12 the first set, 8-10 the second set, and 6-8 the third set -- increasing the weight each time. Also, I recommend you change this stuff around every 6 weeks to keep your body from acclimatizing.

D.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Drinkrum hit it on the head.

Mix it up, to prevent "muscle memory" from turning your muscles into ten rep robots that fall apart when trying that 11th rep.

Additionally, try exercises at different angles, i.e. when doing press don't just do flat, make sure to mix in incline and decline... or when working out the back muscles and doing lat pulldowns with a long bar, do some pulls behind the neck, sometimes in front of the neck, and sometimes changing your grip from an overhand to an underhand can add some variety in the way you are using your muscles.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The rule of thumb is 6-8 reps for mass, 10-12 for strength, and 12+ for tone, endurance, increasing muscle memory, and strengthening ligaments and tendons.

Although, lately instead of 6-8 reps of three sets, I try to get as close to the total of 21-24 as possible, then allow my body to recuperate enough to finish the final few reps... even if I push them out one-by-one. After years of following the same routine, you won't make any progress if you don't mix things up every once in a while.

I also started making far more progress by realizing less is more, and emphasizing quality over quantity. Instead of worrying about reps and finding new exercises, my main focus was always striving to improve posture, symmetry, and the quality of the overall movement itself.

Def

Established Member
Reaction score
My brother is a personal trainer. He and every other trainer I’ve met have told me the following.

To put on lean muscle mass, with the optimal balance between mass and strength, you should do as follows:

1) For each exercise, do 3 sets;

2) Choose the weight accordingly so that you can lift at least 8 reps but no more than 12 – working to complete failure;

3) If you can’t make 8, use a little lighter weight for the next set, if you power through to 12, then use a little heavier weight for the next set;

4) Exercise each muscle group repetitiously, with one minute rest between each set and two minutes rest between each exercise/group of 3 sets. For example – 3 sets of bench press, two minute rest, 3 sets of incline press, two minute rest, 3 sets of fly outs, two minute rest etc etc;

5) Finally, try and implement a split program – Legs and Arms two days of the week, Chest and Back two days of the week;

6) Oh – and always exercise your abs last – they are supporting muscles for the whole body and should be exercised at the end of each work out!

This type of training really works and the most important part is pushing yourself to COMPLETE failure in each set.

Go hard, lads.

Def

Goingat20

Reaction score
good advice guys.... im doing between 6-8 wat Def suggested. I will now start with the 10-12, 8-10 and 6-8 as drinkrun suggested. Should i expect to put on size doing this? Summer is near i wanna be as pumped as possible, do you suggest any supplements to help me out, im using VPs protein and L-glutamine before bed at the moment.
Cheers Guys

The Gardener

Reaction score
Increase lean protein in your diet. Cut down on the refined sugars. Drop soda, replace with water. Eat a handful of peanuts or something like that between meals to keep metabolism steady.

Goingat20

Reaction score
Thanks for advice Gardener. Im starting as from today, i am also looking for supplements to give me the pump i need, any one tried anything like Nitrix?

jumpedthegun

Established Member
Reaction score
I start with a warm up weight, and do 12 reps. Then I increase the weight, do 8-10 reps; increase the weight, do 6-8 reps; increase the weight, 4 reps. On certain exercises, like bench, i'll do a max-out weight (i don't think maxing out is good for most exercises). For my last set, i bump the weight back down to the initial amount and do as many reps as i can. it's more sets, but it will give you strength, quickly.

bluntman

Reaction score
i think drinkrum mentioned this earlier but im a little lazy to go back and check it out.

I found what is pretty effective is starting with lets say 10 reps at a certain base weight, then do eight weights with an increase of 5 or 10lbs, then do 6 with a similar increase, then 4 with another increase.

i believe this is known as a pyramid reps, give it a try and see what works best for you.

LoveMyStang

Reaction score
I've found, for myself, maximum mass gain comes from:

1) 6-8 reps region, until mechanical (i.e., good form) failure
2) MWF gym visits, with my Tuesday/Thursday reserved for good ol'
fashioned cardio
3) High protein intake: I down about 40+g of protein in my meals, when
in a growth phase, plus a good dose of COMPLEX carbs for energy
4) Stay away from Creatine. Seriously. This stuff'll make you big in the
short term, but I don't know anyone who's been able to maintain
significant benefit over a long period of time.

I went from about 275 lbs and a 30% body fat down to 180, 12%, SLOWLY, to avoid any sort of nasty stretch marks, metabolic effects, etc. I'm building a lot of my old strength back (was fat AND an offensive lineman, so I had some lean mass hidden under all my insulation,) but it's been hard. However, arms are lookin' good, and I've got my back strength back up.

Chest is responding slowly, but eh, we all got one area that'll be a bear.