35 Norwood 2 - Massage and Dermaroller

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bappenlabapp

Hey there.

I was born in ´78 and have been losing hair in my temples since I was 18.

I used Pantostin from 20 to around 28. It was not really doing very much, though it decreased the speed of hairloss a little.

Around 28 or 30 I switched to Regaine minoxidil, that stabilized the situation a bit, but still, losing hair continued steadily until now. I got vellus hairs from it, but they never got anywhere near maturing.

You know how self perception / deception works, and in November 2013 I was convinced I was nearly bald. I started researching transplantation doctors around Europe, and asked prices and so on. I would have liked to go to Dr. Mwamba or Heitmann, that would have been around 1800 FUE grafts and very vaguely € 5000 - 7000. (Luckily, my situation isn´t really that bad and now I was able to change my self view to the more realistic notion that hairwise there still is going on a lot on my head.)

In December 13 I stumbled on casperz dermarolling thread (thank you!) and immediately wanted to try DR. So I ordered a 192 1,5mm roller on A. The seller took his good time shipping the thing and end of january we went to a 3 week vacation. It turned out I did not want to use it only a week before leaving to a subtropical climate for 3 weeks, so instead I started massaging my scalp as I had gained the impression that blood flow is essential, also because some people mentioned massage.
Additionally I found a supplement containing biotin, zinc, copper, l-cystein, metafolin, vitamin b2, b6 and c. Its called taxofit Haar Intensiv (I live in Germany btw).

Because I am lazy, I switched to an electric vibrator (the strong one you plug in the wall socket) which happened to ship earlier than the DR. This thing really does vibrate! I put it e.g. on my forehead and create a little tension on the skin downwards, and vibration waves travel to the temples and around my head. A few minutes with this thing make the skin on my head feel vibrant and a little itching from blood flow. Also, it is quite relaxing.

After using this for some days I felt a change on my head. In a way that is difficult to describe, my scalp felt more vibrant or alive, stronger really. I did not notice it right away, but my hair stopped falling out. After our vacation I realized, there are no hairs on my pillow, no hair in the shower, and only very few in the brush (natural fiber brush), maybe 5. So the supposed 100 lost hairs per day went down to maybe a dozen.

Then I started to roll, and I don´t know what has the bigger effect, but I am only on my third roll and see new hair sprouting. At the moment it is only vellus, but grows really fast. This seems really early for a DR success, so I guess it´s an effect of the massage.

I tried to make pictures. See the date. I tried to crop them to have a similar area, but could manage only roughly as the angle is always a bit different. On my right temple it is quite difficult to see because there are some mature hairs left obscuring the view. Also, it is quite complicated to take a good picture, so bear with me. Also, I don´t really have a good baseline picture, because I did not think of it before starting the massage, and I did not expect something to happen. Instead I have a picture I sent to the hair transplant docs to get an estimate of price. Funnily, the line I dotted on the pictures is filling up now with vellus hair. Keep in mind the amount of time passed between these pictures is very little. As was said on casperz thread, hair growth is sloooooooow.

To clarify on the timeline, I started massaging around Jan 1 give or take a week. I started the new supplements at the same time. After our vacation, on Feb 10, I started rolling. So I gather that the new growth of vellus hair started before the first roll and was really caused by the massage with the vibrator. A week and a half ago I stopped minoxidil completely as it gives me racoon eyes.

I will keep on taking weekly pictures and try to document the process to se if there is any.

I don´t know what really caused the change, or if a vibrator will help your hair.
BUT - the vibrator is around $30 and it does not hurt. So try it!

What I can say is that I don´t loose hair at the moment and what I have is feeling very strong (that is a change). Also, new sprouting vellus. Let´s see if they mature!

Cheers!

Attachments

• L 2013 11 30-Bearbeitet.jpg
    L 2013 11 30-Bearbeitet.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 4,547
  • L 2014 02 23-Bearbeitet.jpg
    L 2014 02 23-Bearbeitet.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 3,691
  • L 2014 02 27-Bearbeitet.jpg
    L 2014 02 27-Bearbeitet.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 4,349
  • R 2013 11 30-Bearbeitet-2.jpg
    R 2013 11 30-Bearbeitet-2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 4,455
  • R 2014 02 16-Bearbeitet-2.jpg
    R 2014 02 16-Bearbeitet-2.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 7,197
  • R 2014 02 23-Bearbeitet-2.jpg
    R 2014 02 23-Bearbeitet-2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 6,625

maher

Banned
Reaction score
Did any of this long vellus hair turned terminal? I've been doing some "manuals" for couple of months now and also grew lots of extra long vellus hair under my hairline. Temples are slowly filling in. i wonder if they'll turn..Interesting- been taking suplements similar as yours.
A year ago I lost like 20-40 hairs under shower, today it's 0-10. I don't use minoxidil.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Happy to hear you are seeing discernible improvement. You still have a decent head of hair overall and I wish you continued progress.

B

bappenlabapp

Did any of this long vellus hair turned terminal?

These new hairs are only a few weeks old, the progress between sunday and today is noticable, even on the pictures. So I don´t know yet if the hairs will turn terminal, I hope so of course! :)

I've been doing some "manuals" for couple of months now and also grew lots of extra long vellus hair under my hairline. Temples are slowly filling in. i wonder if they'll turn..Interesting- been taking suplements similar as yours.
A year ago I lost like 20-40 hairs under shower, today it's 0-10. I don't use minoxidil.

What else do you do to improve your hair situation?

Happy to hear you are seeing discernible improvement. You still have a decent head of hair overall and I wish you continued progress.

Thank you!

:)

maher

Banned
Reaction score
What else do you do to improve your hair situation?

Thomas

Besides the specter of "manual technics" (detumescence, pinching, folding the scalp) nothing special really. Been drinking nettle tea 2x a day for 14months, using pumpkin seed oil, pumpkin seed snacks, vitamin D3. Thats about it. O yeah..and ciclopirox shampoo. I'm mainly focusing on my hairline, temples.

Here is a link to this forum- these guys are really into this manual stuff. Few are getting some pretty good results. This dude Drexx is actually regrowing terminal hairs on his temples:

http://immortalhair.forumandco.com/t9446p450-detumescence-therapy-dedicated-volunteers-wanted

I actually think that dermarolling, detumscence... and other manual technics are the real deal. It's all about reviving fibrotic scalp tissue. There are for sure some missing things in this equation but i believe that neogenesis is the key..

B

bappenlabapp

Seeing what is going on with the DR threads I would like to say I respect the decision to turn away from the bloody stuff.
This site must be financed by advertisement I guess and gore imagery is probably not helpful.

Additionally, as I wrote above, I am convinged that what I experience with the vellus growth so far must be caused by massage
and getting circulation going again. Maher wrote along the same lines...

See this thing here on wikipedia, it´s more or less what I use to massage my scalp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitachi_Magic_Wand

B

bappenlabapp

Hey maher, I read on this link and I think you´re right. Especially interesting was the claim that vellus hair is just cut of from blood flow.

B

bappenlabapp

Hey Armando,

http://tinyurl.com/o5t9w5k

here is the link to the vibrator. A search for massage wand on Amazon or the bay will turn that up. After a while using this, the tingling feeling somewhat diminuishes, and this is where manual massage comes into play:

http://immortalhair.forumandco.com/t9446p450-detumescence-therapy-dedicated-volunteers-wanted

Feel invited to read the above link from maher, the people there are going into a really strong massage and kneading of the scalp. The base theory is that the scalp is hardened by old sebum tissue or whatever, and by massaging you can destroy this hardened layer. Then your skin is closer to the bone, less tense, and thus easing blood flow. This manual massage feels very good, but is quite exhausting.

Another interesting link to find there is
http://www.shapeyourface.com/exercise_five.htm
for scalp exercises. Supposedly that also helps restore circulation to the scalp and as a byproduct, grows hair...
Do you do any manual tratment on your scalp? Really cheap and it seems to work...

Cheers,

Thomas

B

bappenlabapp

MODERATOR please why does every other post of mine have to be moderated?

- - - Updated - - -

Armando, trying again without links. Please search for magic wand on amazon.

Moreover, read the above link from maher, really interesting on manual massage. Maybe my other post will be visible any time soon, otherwise this rewriting is getting annoying...

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
B

bappenlabapp

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EF...165_QL70#ref=mp_s_a_1_5&qid=1393864508&sr=8-5

Here we go...

- - - Updated - - -

This here is ridiculous, why is there a need to rate postings at all?

Fred thanks for the bad rep again, may you live happy with your hair transplant.

I read on from December, then the general attitude around here was more open.

So I wrote what is working for me, showing pictures, and if you don´t want to see my progress, then get out.

I hoped that people would see what works and be able to duplicate. But if you don´t want to get the friggin hair back, fred, thats your problem. All the others, look for a forum with a different attitude.

I am sure I solved my problem, certainly no more loss and a fair amount of regrowth, tiny as it may look now, I can already feel it.
So I have no need to search on anymore, only refine.

I will probably stop posting pictures here, there really is no point. It will go down in a cloud of hate anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.