3 Weeks In My First Ever Hair System: My Challenges..

Adzy_k

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Hope you guys are well.

Really wanted to share my experience so far and hopefully feed off some advice from experienced wearers and of course answer any questions for anybody looking to move into the world of hair systems.

9 years ago I was really troubled with my hair loss and it had really hurt my confidence. So I went down the hair transplant path. I waited and waited, but the results were shambles with the density being so poor.

I complained to the company I had it done by and they offered to redo the procedure at no charge. To my surprise neither did that work for me... I had been left with some crazy scars at the back of my head too. A few years later still in the hope it would 'fill' out but sadly still nothing. If anything only more hair loss around the area which had transplanted hair.

Eventually I found toppik. Which worked wonders for years and I was happy with the end result although it had some major limitations such as not being able to put your head against any light colours, time taken every morning, rain issues, getting it all over a dentists blue tunic whilst he leaned over my head and doing a root canal!!!

Eventually I got to a point where majority of my hair had gone and I had about 20% hair left and 80% using toppik hair fibres. I knew at some point toppik would no longer work and I would would need to do a transition into wearing a hair system.

So over the years I had been using toppik I had actively been researching, learning and talking to people over forums about hair systems and all the things you need to do etc (my homework basically). By trade I'm an eye doctor and inquisitive about most things and like to know how to do everything myself.

So for the first time ever I had my hair system fitted 3 weeks ago. First thing I'm going to say is wow - unbelievable how you can suddenly end up with so much just in an hour and a half!..

I have chosen to go down the 'DIY' or self maintain your system yourself route simply due to the fact that I want to feel self sufficient and I can handle things myself no matter where I am and not feel locked down in 'somebody else's' hands. I feel that by learning everything yourself (ofcourse this is purely my opinion) is a sensible thing if this is a long term solution- which ofcourse for any hair wearer it is..So I even had a tutorial at the salon that fitted by system for me.

So the whole transition has been a massive learning curve. It feels like my own hair and most importantly I have hair and loads of it! It been challenging learning how to even style it as I have a slight wave and it needs some hairdryer use which I hadn't got a clue how to use!

Ok so here is the bit which I've found really difficult: The removal and attachment bit.. I have done it twice so far. The first time I did it it took 4 and a half hours - I was exhausted! I felt it was a very involved process and so intricate. It just felt it is insane how I could on a long term basis do this every 10 days isolated in my closed bedroom door hiding a secret from the world other then my nuclear family knowing. I'm not going to lie but it did play with my emotions and i felt quite down through the process and just looking at the bold top part of my head, but I had to get on with it. Eventually I did get to the end and got the thing attached to my scalp and then ofcourse it was the styling that take ages too! I didn't finish till 3 in the morning only then to wake up at 6:30am to get ready for work!
I was exhausted at work topped off with challenging patients in my stretched clinic! I know some guys may say 'man up' or something but I'm a person who is in touch with my feeling or emotions should you call it and I felt pretty upset the whole day- With my thoughts racing everywhere.

Moving on I got over it and carried on.Ten days later I starting noticing the front edge was lifting from different points and one of my assistants askied me 'what's that white stuff on your scalp?' I thought ok it's time for me to quickly move on to my next patient and when I get home to do a removal/clean up and reattachment.

So came home from work had dinner and about 10pm started. I started the procedure with a positive frame of mind thinking- ok I've done this before now, so let's go in with a level of confidence but sadly it I didn't quite go the way I wanted it to go.

Removing, cleaning the system and cleaning my scalp was fine and I did it with a relatively good pace- even put on some good music on that I enjoy and all the rest of it. The bit that it started going downhill was applying the tape. The red liner tape went on like clock work around the poly side and back but when it came to applying super tape on top of the red liner tape (around the sides and back) I really struggled. My scissor kept getting stuck to the tape as its so so tacky (which is a good thing as it gives a strong bond to your scalp) and I was really struggling to get clean cuts of this tape and furthermore it kept getting stuck to my fingers and everytime I would pull my finger off I would end up pulling a patch of adhesive off the tape itself then I would need to discard that piece and start again. My scissor kept getting jammed as the adhesive would get transferred to the blades of the scissor so I had to keep cleaning the scissor with a Solvent called 'adjust a bond' from hair direct (99% alcohol) and to my shock I ended up cutting my finger quite bad and blood every where!!
I plastered my finger up soldiered through it. At the front of the hair system is a lace front to which I applied contoured super tape again had similar difficulties where it kept getting stuck to the scissor or my finger and had to keep getting fresh tape. Anyway about an hour and 15 mins later I had completed the taping bit and now I was ready for arguable the most important bit- the attachment!

So bravely continued and applied adjust a bond from hair direct (99% alcohol) to my scalp which apparently gives you approx 20-30 seconds before the adhesive kicks in and bonds down the system down to your scalp. Before I put the system down I took a few practice runs holding the system an inch above my scalp then applied the adjust a bond and finally put the system down. Unfortunately the adjust a bond didn't give me the 20 secs and infact only a few second and immediately there was no further adjustments possible and it was firmly attached..

Once I had the system on I was certain it went on ok but the more I looked at I realised to my horror it was lob sided and further more the front hair line was so obvious that something had been glued down and you could see a proper whitish horizontal line I felt like crying!! It was 2:30 in the morning this time having spent nearly 4 and a half hours on the thing to find out it was all wrong and the whole process would need to be repeated -it felt like my heart was skipping beats is the only way to describe it!

I decided to just go to sleep (couldn't actually fall asleep either by the way) and do the whole thing again the next day. I had a day off the next day but had plans with the family to which I sadly had to say to them to continue without me.

So the next day first thing in the morning I started the whole process again. Yes about 4.5 hours later I managed to get the system on and straight..! But the obvious white line at the front hair was still really visible and the last thing I want is to get caught out that I'm wearing a system in front of patients or my co workers and people to laugh at me.

Just doing the whole thing in pure isolation and still not it not working out right really did take a toll on me and I felt most lowest I've felt since the last 14 years when I lost my father who had a heart attack.
I ended calling my best friend and asked him to come around as i just needed someone to talk to and as hard I was trying to hold myself together I ended up having a really bad melt down in front of him!!

I got to make this work for me - I can't just packed it up and say I'm done and just shaving my head - I have Hugh Hugh scars at the back of my head which is covered with my natural hair due to the two transplant surgery I've had previously.

My best friend who I've grown up with since nursery time (I'm 34 currently) - bless him was truely the most amazing person ever.. He gave me the biggest hug ever and said I wasn't alone and we together would work out a solution 'together'. He sat me done and said right stop talking and he would try solve my problems and that I wasn't thinking correctly due lack of sleep..He said we are going to try a different hair style(s) then my normal push back style where the front hair line is fully exposed. He asked where everything was then sprayed water into my hair and using a hairdryer with some products gave me a different style which is a more messer style but covers the frontal hair line.
It's not something I'm used to but I'm content to keep it for the sake of not getting exposed..

So guys that's my last couple of days story.. Sorry to go on and on ..but I really wanted to share it for my own sanity too.

So guys please may I ask a few questions and as you have gauged from everything I've written your advise will be incredibly valuable to me.

To those of you who DIY your system at home and not in a hair club as of such are my experiences normal ? Please do share how your first few times were? What difficulties did you experiences ? How did you find solutions to your difficulties?? Will time make it easier? What can I do about my front hair- why is it so obvious?? Is it better I just get the process done at the salon??

Many thanks for reading..
Adzy.

tyler94

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Hope you guys are well.

Really wanted to share my experience so far and hopefully feed off some advice from experienced wearers and of course answer any questions for anybody looking to move into the world of hair systems.

9 years ago I was really troubled with my hair loss and it had really hurt my confidence. So I went down the hair transplant path. I waited and waited, but the results were shambles with the density being so poor.

I complained to the company I had it done by and they offered to redo the procedure at no charge. To my surprise neither did that work for me... I had been left with some crazy scars at the back of my head too. A few years later still in the hope it would 'fill' out but sadly still nothing. If anything only more hair loss around the area which had transplanted hair.

Eventually I found toppik. Which worked wonders for years and I was happy with the end result although it had some major limitations such as not being able to put your head against any light colours, time taken every morning, rain issues, getting it all over a dentists blue tunic whilst he leaned over my head and doing a root canal!!!

Eventually I got to a point where majority of my hair had gone and I had about 20% hair left and 80% using toppik hair fibres. I knew at some point toppik would no longer work and I would would need to do a transition into wearing a hair system.

So over the years I had been using toppik I had actively been researching, learning and talking to people over forums about hair systems and all the things you need to do etc (my homework basically). By trade I'm an eye doctor and inquisitive about most things and like to know how to do everything myself.

So for the first time ever I had my hair system fitted 3 weeks ago. First thing I'm going to say is wow - unbelievable how you can suddenly end up with so much just in an hour and a half!..

I have chosen to go down the 'DIY' or self maintain your system yourself route simply due to the fact that I want to feel self sufficient and I can handle things myself no matter where I am and not feel locked down in 'somebody else's' hands. I feel that by learning everything yourself (ofcourse this is purely my opinion) is a sensible thing if this is a long term solution- which ofcourse for any hair wearer it is..So I even had a tutorial at the salon that fitted by system for me.

So the whole transition has been a massive learning curve. It feels like my own hair and most importantly I have hair and loads of it! It been challenging learning how to even style it as I have a slight wave and it needs some hairdryer use which I hadn't got a clue how to use!

Ok so here is the bit which I've found really difficult: The removal and attachment bit.. I have done it twice so far. The first time I did it it took 4 and a half hours - I was exhausted! I felt it was a very involved process and so intricate. It just felt it is insane how I could on a long term basis do this every 10 days isolated in my closed bedroom door hiding a secret from the world other then my nuclear family knowing. I'm not going to lie but it did play with my emotions and i felt quite down through the process and just looking at the bold top part of my head, but I had to get on with it. Eventually I did get to the end and got the thing attached to my scalp and then ofcourse it was the styling that take ages too! I didn't finish till 3 in the morning only then to wake up at 6:30am to get ready for work!
I was exhausted at work topped off with challenging patients in my stretched clinic! I know some guys may say 'man up' or something but I'm a person who is in touch with my feeling or emotions should you call it and I felt pretty upset the whole day- With my thoughts racing everywhere.

Moving on I got over it and carried on.Ten days later I starting noticing the front edge was lifting from different points and one of my assistants askied me 'what's that white stuff on your scalp?' I thought ok it's time for me to quickly move on to my next patient and when I get home to do a removal/clean up and reattachment.

So came home from work had dinner and about 10pm started. I started the procedure with a positive frame of mind thinking- ok I've done this before now, so let's go in with a level of confidence but sadly it I didn't quite go the way I wanted it to go.

Removing, cleaning the system and cleaning my scalp was fine and I did it with a relatively good pace- even put on some good music on that I enjoy and all the rest of it. The bit that it started going downhill was applying the tape. The red liner tape went on like clock work around the poly side and back but when it came to applying super tape on top of the red liner tape (around the sides and back) I really struggled. My scissor kept getting stuck to the tape as its so so tacky (which is a good thing as it gives a strong bond to your scalp) and I was really struggling to get clean cuts of this tape and furthermore it kept getting stuck to my fingers and everytime I would pull my finger off I would end up pulling a patch of adhesive off the tape itself then I would need to discard that piece and start again. My scissor kept getting jammed as the adhesive would get transferred to the blades of the scissor so I had to keep cleaning the scissor with a Solvent called 'adjust a bond' from hair direct (99% alcohol) and to my shock I ended up cutting my finger quite bad and blood every where!!
I plastered my finger up soldiered through it. At the front of the hair system is a lace front to which I applied contoured super tape again had similar difficulties where it kept getting stuck to the scissor or my finger and had to keep getting fresh tape. Anyway about an hour and 15 mins later I had completed the taping bit and now I was ready for arguable the most important bit- the attachment!

So bravely continued and applied adjust a bond from hair direct (99% alcohol) to my scalp which apparently gives you approx 20-30 seconds before the adhesive kicks in and bonds down the system down to your scalp. Before I put the system down I took a few practice runs holding the system an inch above my scalp then applied the adjust a bond and finally put the system down. Unfortunately the adjust a bond didn't give me the 20 secs and infact only a few second and immediately there was no further adjustments possible and it was firmly attached..

Once I had the system on I was certain it went on ok but the more I looked at I realised to my horror it was lob sided and further more the front hair line was so obvious that something had been glued down and you could see a proper whitish horizontal line I felt like crying!! It was 2:30 in the morning this time having spent nearly 4 and a half hours on the thing to find out it was all wrong and the whole process would need to be repeated -it felt like my heart was skipping beats is the only way to describe it!

I decided to just go to sleep (couldn't actually fall asleep either by the way) and do the whole thing again the next day. I had a day off the next day but had plans with the family to which I sadly had to say to them to continue without me.

So the next day first thing in the morning I started the whole process again. Yes about 4.5 hours later I managed to get the system on and straight..! But the obvious white line at the front hair was still really visible and the last thing I want is to get caught out that I'm wearing a system in front of patients or my co workers and people to laugh at me.

Just doing the whole thing in pure isolation and still not it not working out right really did take a toll on me and I felt most lowest I've felt since the last 14 years when I lost my father who had a heart attack.
I ended calling my best friend and asked him to come around as i just needed someone to talk to and as hard I was trying to hold myself together I ended up having a really bad melt down in front of him!!

I got to make this work for me - I can't just packed it up and say I'm done and just shaving my head - I have Hugh Hugh scars at the back of my head which is covered with my natural hair due to the two transplant surgery I've had previously.

My best friend who I've grown up with since nursery time (I'm 34 currently) - bless him was truely the most amazing person ever.. He gave me the biggest hug ever and said I wasn't alone and we together would work out a solution 'together'. He sat me done and said right stop talking and he would try solve my problems and that I wasn't thinking correctly due lack of sleep..He said we are going to try a different hair style(s) then my normal push back style where the front hair line is fully exposed. He asked where everything was then sprayed water into my hair and using a hairdryer with some products gave me a different style which is a more messer style but covers the frontal hair line.
It's not something I'm used to but I'm content to keep it for the sake of not getting exposed..

So guys that's my last couple of days story.. Sorry to go on and on ..but I really wanted to share it for my own sanity too.

So guys please may I ask a few questions and as you have gauged from everything I've written your advise will be incredibly valuable to me.

To those of you who DIY your system at home and not in a hair club as of such are my experiences normal ? Please do share how your first few times were? What difficulties did you experiences ? How did you find solutions to your difficulties?? Will time make it easier? What can I do about my front hair- why is it so obvious?? Is it better I just get the process done at the salon??

Many thanks for reading..
Adzy.
Hi Adzy, just for someone who is looking into the hair system route. How does the new hair style look? does it look like you are wearing a system or does it look like it could be your real hair?

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score
Of course it's going to be hard at first, especially without any experience. If you go to a salon they would probably re-attach your system in 30 minutes, wich shows it's possible. If they can do it, you should be able to do it with time as well.

I would have tried to take some time off work for the first couple of weeks. Just to get used to it all and deal with all mistakes while you're in your safe zone. If you feel that you're not able to DIY right now, I would say go to the hair club. Just to get a piece of mind.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The first time I reattached it was about an hour. The second time was down to around half that and ever since its on average 20 mins with the quickest around 10 mins (thats the system already removed and washed) and just the tape added and the reattachment.

I dont include removal time as I can whip it off in a minute and I clean as Im doing my other work - thats just added solvent, leaving 5 mins and wiping clean. I wash my system as I shower so its not additional time.

whitewalker

My Regimen
Reaction score
but when it came to applying super tape on top of the red liner tape (around the sides and back) I really struggled. My scissor kept getting stuck to the tape as its so so tacky (which is a good thing as it gives a strong bond to your scalp) and I was really struggling to get clean cuts of this tape and furthermore it kept getting stuck to my fingers and everytime I would pull my finger off I would end up pulling a patch of adhesive off the tape itself then I would need to discard that piece and start again.

First off, sounds like an unfortunate experience. Have some more patience with it and your precision will improve.

Few questions:
So you put tape on a layer of tape? Why?
Whats the hold time on the red liner tape?
Whats the hold time on the super tape?
What type of tape do you apply to the hairline? Is it low-profile tape?

Last thing, get a new pair of scissors. Your scissors should be sharp enough to be able to cut the tape and not get stuck.

Mario Lopez

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey there friend. Im totally new here and looking into a hair replacement system. Can I ask where you purchased it, the cost and how is it still going for you?
Thanks a bunch!

Mario