3 1-2 months on propecia and shedding

dfass

Reaction score
i started propecia in november and by december 1 st i wasnt losing any hair. none. than about around new years i noticed some hairs falling out again in the shower. gradually from that point i have been losing more and more hair especially in the front of my head which i had a full head of hair in december and january. over the last 3 weeks i have been losing 50 hairs a day from the front and you can know see my scalp. i have heard about shedding but this seems extreme and almost impossible for me to grow back this hair. and the shedding is getting worse daily. i am thinking about using minoxidil on that area but i have heard about more shedding with that and irritation of the scalp. i was wondering if anyone has heard a story like that of all together miracle treatment in a month and then losing more hair than i had before and being balder than ever. i am going to stick on the propecia in case i can grow this hair back, but if anyone has answers or advice it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
I have never heard of someone recieving results that quickly so i won't comment on that. If i was you i wouldn't quit propecia. Before going on a treatment you really have to make a long-term commitment. Don't make judgements like that unless after 9 months it hasn't worked for you.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
agreed. from my experience i lost what seemed like quite a lot on propecia but it came back more and thicker. it should just b the propecia knocking ur hairs resting phases into sync. im lucky my thickening and regrowth came after not too long shedding. y not try using a covering product like couvre if u feel the need for 2 or 3 months then assessing the situation at that point? u could b pleasantly surprised.

Hairless Potter

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation, with the shedding. I think we just have to bite the bullet and hope for the best. Hey, youngguy, how long from the time the shedding stopped until you regained the hair that was lost to shedding? Thanks.

Hairless Potter

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation, with the shedding. I think we just have to bite the bullet and hope for the best. Hey, youngguy, how long from the time the shedding stopped until you regained the hair that was lost to shedding? Thanks.

dfass

Reaction score
3 1-2 and shedding

i wanted to know the same thing when can i expect regrowth because i can{t see anything growing. but i want to reiterate the same i am 24 and just started balding in june, went on propecia with a full head of hair, and now am regretting it. at first a miracle. now it seems a curse. thanks for the quick replies especially youngguy, makes me feel a little better like i have hope for the front of my dome. i am still going to start rogaine tomorrow and only apply it to the front, does anyone think this is a bad idea. again thanks a lot. i tried to ask a doctor and he didn{t have anything to say but stick it out for atleast 6 months which i guess is good advice.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
In the upper left hand corner of this page you will find this:

Shedding: the Four Letter Word of hair loss

Read that!!!

Clearly you should have done more research before starting finasteride, because you dont understand how this works. It is practically expected for you to be shedding at this time. Dont expect to see positive results for 5-10 more months.

Oh and remember, if you start Rogaine, in a month or two you will probably have even LESS hair. (this again is NORMAL). You wont see positive results from minoxidil for probably at least 4 months.

dfass

Reaction score
3 1-2 months

i am also shedding from my thick eyebrows this can{t be normal. does anyone know thanks

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
While I havent heard of anyone noticing eyebrow sheds before, it makes perfect sense. While DHT 'chokes' the follicles on the top of our head, it is responsible for triggering body hair growth, so a significant decrease in DHT levels could certainly cause some of the follicles to go dormant. I personally do recall having a body hair shed maybe four or five months into treatment.

minoxidil has the opposite effect; it causes body hair to grow thicker and longer. I believe that those of us on both treatments generally have the two effects balanced out. (Ive had some increase in body hair but not much)

That being said, dont worry so much. As long as your equipment downstairs is still in working order you really dont have anything to worry bout. Just ride out the sheds and wait. You will in all probability have a much nicer head of hair in two years then you would have otherwise.