27 year old- first went on finasteride as teenager- my story

27yearoldveteran

Reaction score
Hey everyone- long time reader- first time poster.
In 2004 I went to my uni Doctor with really itchy scalp- he told me I was going bald. At this stage on my right temple looked to be receding (even as a child it was uneven with the other) The Doctor wrote me a prescription for Rogain - and said I wish I had this when I was balding. I've never tried rogaine. Even to this day.
I was devastated I had just turned 18 and I was a freshman. I did my research and did not want to wait to get on propecia so I bought a tablet off a guy who was in my uni and who I only knew from posting online and bought the meds. I had a full head more or less. I did get sides- one week really horny and some weeks found it hard to get erections. Went through sheds of hair etc- spent all my time on this forum fretting .At around the 6 month mark- my hair was so thick and my scalp felt healthy ( when I first went to the Doctor my scalp was all inflamed and it was so itchy for a period of 3 months) the finasteride stopped all this. During this time I took hair supplements- green tea, soya milk etc.

One of my brothers had gone bald in his early 20s so I was overly aware of the problem. I stayed on propecia till 2007 always cutting down - from taking 1.25 mg a day to taking it twice a week. The main problem was erections - I could get them but keeping them especially with girls I hooked up with. In some ways it messed with my head and the anxiety I would feel when I was in that situation . I found that if I didn't think about it I was grand but if I thought about it I seized up.
Anyway I decided t
o go on Adovart 1mg weekly. I had no sides - had no sheds didn't worry about hair- got on with life. Some weeks forgot to take meds. Continued to use nizoral - life was pretty good. I stopped thinking about hairless really and truly. In 2010 my advert ran out and I never reordered I planned to but I was thinking maybe my hair loss is not like my brothers ( maybe its like my uncle who people say I look like and is nearing 50 and is receding very slowly. I had maintained my hair and perhaps re grown. Flash forward to 2013 and I'm in a stressful job and I start to notice that itchy scalp and that I'm losing hair. So I ordered Dutas in July. And I started taking one a week till I read that this can play havoc - so taking 2 0.5 pills a week. After the first month I stopped getting erections in morning and could not get them if I tried. That went away- and it's the opposite now. I'm shedding a lot of hair and for the first time every two of my friends have commented on me going bald. In the last 6 weeks I've lost a lot of hair - one of my temples I can't conceal it .

I'm hoping its just part the treatment- I m thinking of trying rogaine or I should have started back on the propecia . My scalp is still quite itchy . I've been through it all before - I know what it's like. I'm calmer now about it but I'm still quite crushed. When I was 18 it was just cruel. I shouldn't have stopped treatment - I know you literary have to follow the regime coolest and just forget about the sheds and hop for best- will post pics
any advice?

capitan

Reaction score
I'm almost 18 and also started taking finasteride like you did.

It's been a month and although I have no sides, my hair sems to keep thinning.

I'm about a NW2.5.

What do you think my chances are of maintaining?

27yearoldveteran

Reaction score
image (2).jpgimage (1).jpgimage.jpg3 months on adovart- I've slipped past the base line on my right temple. Propecia worked for me before when I was a teenager to my early 20s ( I shouldn't have stopped ) Can only post one pic at a time for some reason on the tablet

- - - Updated - - -

@captain- hang on in there- keep track by starting a thread on this side. Looking back on photographs I had great success on proscar. It takes time- my advice take the pill and get on with your life. if its male pattern baldness and its real proscar /propecia your taking- Ive no doubt it will work. You need photographs though- It may take a year- but after 6 months I had good results- I just didnt realise it at that time -

Last edited:

isishearmyplea

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bro sorry i might sound like a dick but why is it in the success stories?

Mr White

Established Member
Reaction score
Try not to feel too anxious about this situation. You've been there before, you know these drugs work, so give it some time. And yes, do try Rogaine - it's not as effective as Propecia but it works. Get the new Rogaine foam, it's easier to apply and it won't irritate your scalp. Good luck!