26M - A lot of shedding recently, am I balding??

balotelli1995

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey everyone. 26M.

So I've been seeing a lot of hair shedding for the past 9 months. Around 20 strands and upwards of 100 strands when washing with shampoo and conditioner. While 1-4 strands come out every time I roll my hand through my hair, I've found my hair as a whole becoming thinner, the strands more hay-like and impossible to style. I just assumed it was some shedding from work and relationship stress last Autumn but it has continued for so long and with the number of hairs I lose in the shower, it's hard not to be concerned.

In the past two weeks, I've tried to be as proactive as possible. I've been taking/doing:
  • Biotin tablets (10k ug)
  • Saw Palmetto
  • OGX Biotin and Collagen thickening shampoo
  • Dermaroller (1mm) + peppermint oil
I had my blood done and they noted a vitamin D deficiency (thyroid and keratin/iron levels fine). For the past 2 weeks I've been taking Vit D (4k IU) and K2 supplements along with normal multivits.

I've started seeing more of the scalp, especially when out of the shower and the hairs wet and it scares the sh*t out of me. Despite previous posts, I've only just started to see my crown area looking thin as well. Last week I had an online consultation with a hair clinic in London (Belgravia Hair Clinic) and they said it was very early male pattern baldness (with my crown area and it's moving down my head) and they suggested treatment using a number of their products (see below). Little dubious given their vested interest but then again I've got the most vested interest to be in denial and pretend everything's ok.

Assuming it is indeed thinning and I ought to take action - I'm really mixed, scared and confused as to what to do next. I think I will give it another couple of weeks and see if the supplements aid the vitamin D deficiency per my blood test and in turn my hair. In fairness, the number of strands from the shower and my hands has dropped markedly in the past 2 weeks alone (before hairs came out in 10-20 strands when running my hands through, now 2-5).

Failing this, however, I want to be as proactive with this as possible before I start losing more. Honestly, pretty scared of playing with my hormones and the potential sides with finasteride (especially sexual) but equally it seems to be the most effective while using topical min seems not to tackle the root cause while also being practically annoying for myself having to maintain this rather than popping a pill (aware of oral min but concerned with the impact on blood pressure). After noting my concerns of finasteride to the clinic, they have offered the (bloody expensive) treatment of a) Minoxidil 10% + Azelaic Acid & b) Minoxidil 5% + Medroxyprogesterone and staying away from finasteride. They said the additional elements to the min have DHT blocking capabilities so should serve fins purpose and I will not lose out by not using finasteride. Again, dubious of their claims vs using the normal finasteride route.

Ultimately, I'm curious:
  • How does the hair look? Is it indeed balding?
  • Guidance as to action going forward. Will pause for the vitamin D defiency but assuming balding, would finasteride alone be sufficient? To limit sides, I plan to take 0.25g every other day and slowly move up (in a months time) to 1g 3 times a week. Any problems with this?
  • Is it possible just to take finasteride? Rather test one item and keep one thing I need to take for the rest of my life rather than two at the same time.
  • I'm really worried of the level of shedding from any treatment I take - I'm starting a new job next month so hoping any treatment doesn't make me look like a muppet. Is shedding with finasteride always expected?
Absolutely terrified currently and this has been giving me so much anxiety for the past 3 months so any advice would be most appreciated!!!

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i would indeed say you are balding. Not bad. Very early. Finasteride is the best bet. However it needs to be taken everyday. If you’re scared about sides, everyone is, to limit your fear start with .25mg/day.

balotelli1995

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ah, not great news but always good to hear and objective opinion.

How has your finasteride experience been? Hopefully the sides are minimal for me - other than that - how was your level of shedding? Do you think you HAVE to take it with minoxidil because again the practicalities of this vs a pill every day for the rest of my days will be quite frustrating.

I think I will try to get some hormone/blood work done and ideally chat to a Doctor before starting finasteride at the level you mentioned.

Cheers,

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with WaccWaccWacc. If you're worried about side effects wait till you're in a positive state of mind or consider starting with .25 mg/day thrice a week the way you described in your post, then upping the dosage if everything's okay. I started by taking 1 mg thrice a week and have been on 1 mg five times a week for two months or so. You seem to be diffuse thinning at the crown, and a bit at the midscalp and front. Very early stages and you can afford the luxury to only take finasteride or start treatment slower. Diffuse thinners also tend to respond better to treatments, although transplants are harder and more expensive.

Dont' bother paying Belgravia Clinic for the Minoxidil if you decide to start using it, just get it over the counter at your local pharmacy or order it online since it'll be cheaper that way. Azelaic Acid could potentially enhance its effects but it's not necessary and it'd be a better idea to start with Minoxidil alone if you got with that route to eventually test Azelaic Acid and see if it is useful to you or not.

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Starting to bald, early stages. If you take finasteride you should be good. I’ve been taking it for over 2 years, no sides, I’m also 26

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ah, not great news but always good to hear and objective opinion.

How has your finasteride experience been? Hopefully the sides are minimal for me - other than that - how was your level of shedding? Do you think you HAVE to take it with minoxidil because again the practicalities of this vs a pill every day for the rest of my days will be quite frustrating.

I think I will try to get some hormone/blood work done and ideally chat to a Doctor before starting finasteride at the level you mentioned.

Cheers,

Indeed not the best news but sh*t happens. Most men bald throughout their lifetime. Don’t let it drown you, it’s natural.

My finasteride experience has been smooth so far to say the least. Ive been on it for 25 months and have not experienced any sides. Virtually none. At the beginning, I was under the same impression as you and believed I was going to get some sort of sides and thought my sperm was watery and perhaps it was for the first couple weeks but that eventually subsided. As of the past 25 months I’ve had 0 sides.

In terms of my hair, I would say I have maintained. You can look at my own thread and decide for yourself but without it I more than likely would have lost more ground. I’ve enjoyed the peace of mind/insurance of taking finasteride thus far.

In regards to minoxidil, I have not used it. I used it for 1 week and concluded that it’s just too much of a hassle to do twice a day for a very long period of time. You can try it yourself, if you will, and studies show that you get better results in using it as a combo, however from the two finasteride carries most of the weight, especially in terms of keeping your hair. In my opinion, you still got a sh*t ton of hair left and minoxidil isn’t necessary unless you want the chance of growing some back.

balotelli1995

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies.

Just an update post - I've been taking finasteride for the past 5 months - 0.5g every other day. The rationale for the dosage was around the concerns over the potential sides, especially early days where I felt I was having some brain fog. Looking back, I think this was more so combined anxiety of taking the pill and starting a new job - so perhaps a placebo effect of sides. As far as any other sides, I've noticed a slight dip in my libido but not a crazy drop.

Otherwise, I've been trying to derma roll every week although I've let it slip in the past two months.

As for the hair...not much change to be honest. Still the same level as shed as before, perhaps slightly less. My hair still and continues to feel thinner and weaker compared to the thickness of a year or two ago which is really the end goal I'd like to return to but currently the aim is to halt the loss. Ultimately, I'm just not sure if I'm seeing any progress. It's perhaps too early and I plan to up the dosage to 0.5g everyday given the lack of sides. I will give it more time before I look to adding minoxidil on top of the routine.

Happy to hear your thoughts if any!!

Updated pics (wet hair pics) -

infamousrodi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Did you ever have Covid ? 25% of people can get Telogen Effluvium from it after recovering from it. I was one of the 25%.

balotelli1995

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nope, thankfully I was one the lucky ones not to have it (unless I was unsymptomatic!), Hope you're feeling ok, happy to here you're recovering from Telogen Effluvium