24 Y/o Male 6 Months Propecia Confused

Mac12345

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My story:- Had slow receding on the temples, hair quality decent and thick. February, had haircut and was the first time that I started to worry about my hairline. After much research and checking of forums I decided to get a prescription for Propecia 1mg and began taking it every day - as a maintenance measure, I wasn't happy but content with what I had.

Since week 2 on Propecia I have been shedding additional hair. This got me worried, I checked online and saw a shedding 'phase' was normal on Propecia - decided to stick with it. Well, I am now 6 months into the regime and shedding hasn't stopped at all - every week. In my opinion my hair has thinned a lot (as one would expect when you shed so much every day) and hairline has receded even further - almost as if it has accelerated the process.

The whole Propecia experience for me has been one long shed and it has pushed me to believe that this drug probably isn't for temple recession. I think I am gonna give up on Propecia now as it has put me on the edge.

Will my hair recover from this? Surely the shed hairs won't be lost forever?

Thanks.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Four considerations:
- it's true: both minoxidil and propecia work better on vertex. Temples are more difficult to regain once they have thinned.

- not necessarily is Propecia exacerbating your hair loss. This happens in infrequent cases and does not last long. It could be that you are going through an aggressive phase of male pattern baldness and propecia just can't keep up.

- if you shed hair because of a drug (propecia Or Minoxidil), that hair would have fallen anyways, as the shedding is just a "synchronization" of the end of the telogen phase

- You need to take pictures before and after a treatment: your impressions in front of the mirror are not necessarily trustworthy. You need to watch the overall situation from above and back too.

Mac12345

My Regimen
Reaction score
Roberto many thanks for your reply.

What is the explanation for the persistent shedding since I have started this drug? Of course my hairline was slowly receeding but it's the constant shedding that is driving me to paranoia.

I just don't understand it. I have seen cases were people say Finastride raises levels of testosterone, maybe the temples are more susceptible T rather than DHT?