22 Years Old - What do you experts think?

thomasgraves

Reaction score
I'm 22 years old and need your help/opinions

I'm now 22, and hair loss for me began at 18. I didn't pay any attention to it until 19-20, when it became more apparent (to me) that I might be going through the early stages of hair loss. Before that, if you pulled back my hair, you wouldn't have noticed a recession pattern. Now, the recession is quite clear when the hair is pulled back, but I can still seemingly manage a hairstyle to mask the recession. I've become very defensive about people touching my hair because a pull in the wrong direction would reveal the extent of my loss. I will say that since the recession has come into play, it's really been weighing me down. Whether or not I'm thinking about it directly, it permeates my confidence and has left me with a feeling of hopelessness. As pathetic as it sounds, I found that a great deal of my confidence is derived from my image, and particularly my hair. To see it becoming progressively thinner leaves me feeling as though what is ahead cannot be nearly as fruitful as what has been left behind - like I've already left my prime.. like I'm never going to look or feel as good as I have in the past.

It started going into college and has been continuing since. I haven't been able to determine if it's been the stress, the poor nutrition, or what have you that's been the culprit - but either way, I'd like to know what you guys think, and what your experience has been if you've gone through something similar. Do I have male pattern baldness? Photos attached below. I'm currently taking 1.25 mg finasteride daily. I've been on it for about 3 months, but haven't noticed any progress. In fact, I've noticed my hair has become thinner since starting the drug. I will say that hairstyle has been a big part of my image, and I imagine all of that pulling, styling and product over the years have contributed to the thinning hairline. Do I need to stop styling my hair to avoid further hair loss? Could excessive irritation be the culprit? And if I, say, shave my head, will the recession halt and regrow? Let me know if you think there is hope for me to keep (or regain), a full, healthy head of hair. Anything helps! Your input is seriously appreciated.

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpg

Last edited: