21 Yo 5 Years Hair Loss And I Still Dont Know Is It Cte Or Fphl, Help?

Nano123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am a 21 year old female and I have been suffering from hair loss for 5 years now. I used to have a head full of hair until when I was 16 my hair started shedding a lot, I didn't mind it because my hair was so thick and voluminous I didn't mind losing a bit of it because it made styling my hair easier. after 1.5 years of hair loss I realized that the frontal part of my scalp has become visible and that my hair density has significantly dropped.
I went to a dermatologist, she didn't give a diagnosis and I was young to start asking questions but she prescribed minoxidil 5% once per day and the shed did stop and I had lots of regrowth but I didn't comply and stopped after 2 months and lost all regrowth and started shedding again.

Since 2013 ive seen 4 dermatologists, 2 of which are trichologists and almost all the 4 said I am having CTE but not 100% sure but that for 5 years worth of hair loss and thining I should've had more advanced hair loss which I don't.

to clarify, my mom has naturally thin hair but she started shedding after menopause however her hair has reached a state of equilibrium and it's not getting less dense any more. my father is not bald however he started losing hair on his crown in his late forties but his hairline is still there with some thinning maybe. Neither of my uncles from both sides are bald and my menstrual cycle is on time always, I never suffered from acne but I have mixed oily skin. after doing blood tests it turned out I'm very very deficient at serum ferritin and vit D3 both at 7 and 7.63 so I started taking iron and will start D3 soon to rectify the deficiency because it might be participating in my hair loss.

I started PRP sessions hoping it will kickstart my hair regrowth, also I have heard that MSM helps in thickening hair too so I started today on 2000 mg of MSM and I will work my way up to 4000 mg maybe and I will see if it does anything.

So now I do a PRP once monthly, I'm on 5% minoxidil twice per day and also using aminexil lotion maybe it will help, as well as the vitamins and supplements.

as for my current hair state I would say I would be on the I-2 part on Ludwig scale maybe a bit less, so do you guys think what I have is CTE? noting that 3 months before my hair loss started I was having stress significantly more than before and I was kind of depressed but I wasn't traumatized like an accident or something.

And as for the minoxidil I will make sure to not give up because I really want to save what I can save from my hair but I just want to set my expectations, will minoxidil thicken these thinned hairs again? or will it just keep them from thinning further? if it seems like FPHL do I start on spironolactone to get better effects?

Last edited: