21 y/o 8 months on propecia- mixed dosages mixed reuslts

Reaction score
Hi all

Ok basically im a Norwood 2 id say with diffuse. Back last april after alot of mental torturing of myself, telling myself i should be able to deal with it , without meds and not let my looks matter so much to me, i felt i had to do something about it. Im quite a proud person see, and i really gave myself $#iT about how much it was bothering me, but alas, it did.

Both my uncles on mothers side are bald. One started at 18 and one later 20's. My maternal GF was bald too so genes not no my side

At 17/18 i had begun loosing my hair, though i didnt really notice it. It was only in early 2004 , when i was 19 that it really became apparent. It really accelerated since then.

To can a long story short(er)

I started off with temporal resession and thinning top, hairs weak and loosing colour.

I started end of april 2005 with Xandrox 5% morning and evening, with 12.5% lotion in the evening on temples and front. And reluctantly and scared started 1mg Propecia every day.

Shedding seemed to be worse for first month, tired to forget about it .

Noticed fine hairs coming in after about a month but as i wasnt sure if that was loosing of gaining i didnt think much of it

By end of July 2005 things were looking real good. Overall hair was thicker, darker and front was denser. Basically over all hairline was more defined and hair wasnt so thin and lifeless. People said, have you dyed it etc etc and my uncle who came over in august thought id had a hair transplant or something .

mid august i dropped my dosage to 0.5mg to see if i could get by on that and hold what id gained as i dont like taking pills at the best of times and started xandrox 15% on temples and front instead of 12.5 % lotion

Seemed to be a big mistake. After about 3 weeks i noticed the frontal hairs becoming less pigmented.

After 2 months on 0.5mg id had enough, it was obvious it was a bad move, i noticed like lots of hairs on combing and got back on 1mg at the end of October 2005 and also dropped the xandrox 15 for the lotion again as i assume these were working for me.

Well here i am, almost 4 months on back on a steady regimne of 1mg and the xandrox and 12.5 and basically since i noticed the decline in september/october while on the 0.5mg it hasnt been the same since. I would have hoped that being such a quick responder to the propecia initially i would have got back on track rather quickly. Though every week that goes by seems to make me more dispondant and that propecia isnt working as well as it was initally.

I would say, as i am now, i am actually coming worryingly close to baseline. Not quite, but getting that way.

Am i expecting too much of my body, am i not factoring in sheds/ hair cycles in all this? should i just kick back, forget about it and hope thinks happen the way it should besing as im doing all i can minus the dunsteride?

Im basically on here after a little bit of reassurance from people who konw what there on about.

I really have given myself alot of crap over this whole hairloss thing, ive really beaten myself up over it and almost feel ashamed feeling compelled to do something about something which is only cosmetic. Considering i find it odd and sad for women to get boob jobs, i feel i shoudl be practiceing what i preach and let nature take its course, but hey it is how i feel. I do take pride in my self and it does bother me, i will accept it either way. I feel lucky i have been blessed with a good physique so have that to fall back on, i just . . . really wonna keep my blonde rug

Help me out guys, wotta ya got. . . .

cheers in advance

J

SpecialK

Reaction score
Hello my friend, I surely can relate with your situation. I started balding very young also and at the time I had an awesome girlfriend. We have since broke up (which sometimes I blame myself) but shortly after we broke up I got on Propecia in fear I would not be able to find another girl with the balding look. I am now 22 and have been on Propecia for 2 years... I would say it has helped but only in slowing down the balding process. I don't mind shaving my head since I feel it looks pretty good but I guess I am too vain because I am growing out my hair again. I am also a health freak and it kills me that I might be harming my body by taking this pill and putting topicals on my head (I am using xandrox 15).

But to get back on to topic I feel we must take pride in our ability to not let it ruin our lives and it also makes us much stronger people. Every time life kicks us in the *** we must just turn the other cheek.

Reaction score
cheers for the kind words guys. Nice to have some reassurance sometimes ya know. was hpoing it may get better, but if not, guess have to shave it all. scared of dunsteride. May help but dont think i should take it that far. Tempting as it is. what ya think? last resort before i shaved it after ive given propecia a few more months?

J

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

Not sure if I am "in the know", but here are my thoughts.
It is very normal and positive to question yourself throughout the male pattern baldness journey. Many older men report that baldness gave them more insight into themselves and perspective on life. Challenge yourself by continuing to question your motives and insecurities as this will help you become more well rounded.
I am young (26) and have been on finasteride for a little over a year (diffuse thinner) and use minoxidil once a day. I feel like I had to take a step back (sheds and bad thinning) to take a step forward. I am at a year and feel like I am technically back to baseline, but I feel like my hair is just more healthy and the hairs that remain do have a better chance of hanging around because this year has produced a few new cycles of hairs that no longer had to battle with as much DHT infestation. The key is to settle on a regimen and stick it out for a year then re-evaluate, any evenluations in between are too speculative.
I shed on the hairline and slowly grew in new thin hairs that appear to be thickening up. I am happy that I chose to do somehting about my hairloss, the key is that I did not set too high of expectations and though my hair is very far from perfect, the results are decent.
I have experienced very minor sides with occasional labido drops and a consistant changes in semen volume. I also had a huge reduction in body hair, which both frightens me but is a huge benefit from the drug because I am a sasquach (bad bad spelling).

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

BTW, hairloss is truly cosmetic but finasteride use is much different then boob jobs. You are not accentuating your hair you are just trying to mainitian what you have or possiblly trying to look more like you did a few years ago. I think plastic surgery is very vain and a growing virus in society. I also know that hairloss was important to me and negatively affecting my life and finasteride is not plastic surgery. Here's a better comparison:
-Lets say that after years and years women start to have a genetic change in which their boobs start to shrink as they age. I would not be judgemental of a women who simply took 5 second out of her day to swallow a pill that kept her boobs from shrinking. Certainly, I would have more respect and envy for a woman who could accept her shrinking boobs as a natural genetic trait that they have no control over, but human beings are not perfect and we must simply consider what is best for us as an individual.
As we age, our metabolism drops and in order to look thin many have to change their diets and work out more in a hope of keeping there youthful look. It is an tough to establish the line as to what is truly vanity and what is just a human being wanting to look and feel the best they can. i also think hairloss is different when you are younger, it is tough for many older men, but being in your 20s is tough enough.

Reaction score
Hi there johnny

really appreciate those kind words, your a top guy. its nice to have an outside view on the situation. When emothions are involved its very hard to think clearly and rationally. It only human i know, and hearing what i already know inside is reassuring to me. Im gonna stick with the regimne and see how it goes.
Im travelling in about 7 weeks and i am gonna carry on with the treatment then also and see how it goes. DOnt think ill be able to carry on the minoxidil but Propecia and nizoral shouldnt be a prob. Think the whole experience will also give me more perspective also. Its a journeyt i guess :)

J

Aplunk1

Reaction score
You MUST, YOU MUST, be consistent with your regimine. Don't switch Propecia dosages. You have to keep everything at the same pace. Your body will adjust, and you will get results.

Goodluck man!