20 year old starting to see signs of male pattern baldness

dave670

Reaction score
Hi, I am a 20 year old male and lately I've been a bit worried because my hair has been receding gradually in the temples over the past year and a half to two years. When I look at what images of advanced male pattern baldness look like, mine represents a version of that in its early stages. A photo is below.

If I am starting to bald, from what i have read it coincides with the average time young men begin to lose hair (20 or so).

Genetically speaking my dad is bald, and my grandfather on my mother's side had a full head of hair. I have heard baldness came come from either parent. Do I indeed display initial signs of male pattern baldness? If so, does this mean I will bald completely ? Thanks.

dahairlineage20.jpg

Last edited:

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Try finasteride, if you are side-effect-free, consider yourself lucky. You will then maintain/regrow your hair.

Most will be side free regardless of the way people online try to make it seem. More like consider yourself very unlucky if you get sides.

dave670

Reaction score
Yes, your temples are receding, and that is a sign of male pattern baldness. Just be happy you aren't receding in the middle.

It doesn't neccesiraly mean you will go completely bald, this might stop at NW2-3, but most guys that start male pattern baldness this early end up bald.

Try finasteride, if you are side-effect-free, consider yourself lucky. You will then maintain/regrow your hair.
Thanks. I'll keep monitoring it and see what happens, it really is striking how much it's receded in the past year and a half.

Am I correct in thinking that this happens as a result of increase DHT? Or is it purely genetic?

Also, could I inherit baldness from my father? I heard that it is incorrect that the gene can only come from the mother's side. My dad is almost completely bald, and starting losing hair around my age.

Walker11

Reaction score
Really?

You can inherit baldness from fathers side for sure. Many guys are balding the same pattern their fathers did.

Hey Toms. Is there any research about it?

My hairline looks very similar to my father's hariline at my age and i'm buying it.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
You can get the baldness gene from your mom or your dad? If either them have baldness in their family most likely you will inherit the gene too.

dave670

Reaction score
Well I have a very high sex drive...not sure if that plays a role or not. On a related note, is your (Toms) signature suggesting a relationship between PMO and hair loss? If there is a positive correlation I may have to rethink my life a bit if I want to keep my hair.

hellnah

Reaction score
If there is any benefits to your hair from nofap, it can't even be seen. But some guys say it helps. I am doing nofap just because it has many other benefits.

Apparently masturbating has an effect. Something to do with testosterone? Not too sure.. I might try it. I stopped for 1 day, not as much hair fell out. Then again, that could just be me being so desperate that I'm trying to over interpret any minuscule signs of hope.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Apparently masturbating has an effect. Something to do with testosterone? Not too sure.. I might try it. I stopped for 1 day, not as much hair fell out. Then again, that could just be me being so desperate that I'm trying to over interpret any minuscule signs of hope.

1. No change can possibly take place in 1 day, or even 1 week or 1 month
2. Masturbation or sex has absolutely nothing to do with hairloss the whole thing is just discussed among delusional idiots who desire to imagine that they can somehow control their hairloss with their behavior

dave670

Reaction score
I got my head shaved for a clearer shot of my scalp. Where on the hair loss scale (what stage) would I appear to register currently, if any?

73ae435cfc44387ff215ba22d557631a.jpg

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I wasn't sure where to go or where to post haha, but I figured I would just do it here.

My name is Lucas, and I am 22 years old and will soon be 23. Admittedly, I have been worrying about going bald for a while now and it's gotten to the point where it affects my daily life. I don't mean to sound like my life sucks or that I am looking for pity, but I tend to worry about things easily and this is definitely one instance where I have worried a heck of a lot.

Anyways, for the longest time I have been stressing about it, and I truly don't know if I am balding, if it's a mature hairline, if it's normal or if I actually do in fact have a problem and should seek some treatment. My dad is 59 years old and is pretty much fully bald, and on his side he has three brothers, two of which are very bald while my youngest uncle still has a decent amount of hair. His father also was bald.

On my mom's side it's better as my grandfather had a decent amount of hair and my uncle on that side still has pretty good hair.

So, that leaves me. I am the only child and based on genetic traits alone my hair line and style of hair very much resembles my mother, but as I know and have read I inherit genetics from both sides including the hair.

I have read, and read, and read constantly about maturing hairlines and thinning and tried comparing my hairline to others, but I still worry. I even have spoken to my doctor twice about the possibility of me going bald and on both instances she laughed and said I had nothing to worry about because my hair is thick (I do have thick hair) and she said that my hairline is fine, and that if and when something were to happen we could take care of it. for whatever reason that hasn't been enough and I still worry that my hairline is changing. I have also asked my close friends and they all say I am nuts.

When I shower, I lose decent amounts of hair but nothing too alarming. I even bought hair thickening shampoo but I dont know if that even works.

I decided to finally join and look for some insight and advice to help me, to best try and calm my nerves. I worry because clearly my father's side has hairloss and I really, really don't want to go bald early on in my life.

Any response would be terrific. thanks.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I wasn't sure where to go or where to post haha, but I figured I would just do it here.

My name is Lucas, and I am 22 years old and will soon be 23. Admittedly, I have been worrying about going bald for a while now and it's gotten to the point where it affects my daily life. I don't mean to sound like my life sucks or that I am looking for pity, but I tend to worry about things easily and this is definitely one instance where I have worried a heck of a lot.

Anyways, for the longest time I have been stressing about it, and I truly don't know if I am balding, if it's a mature hairline, if it's normal or if I actually do in fact have a problem and should seek some treatment. My dad is 59 years old and is pretty much fully bald, and on his side he has three brothers, two of which are very bald while my youngest uncle still has a decent amount of hair. His father also was bald.

On my mom's side it's better as my grandfather had a decent amount of hair and my uncle on that side still has pretty good hair.

So, that leaves me. I am the only child and based on genetic traits alone my hair line and style of hair very much resembles my mother, but as I know and have read I inherit genetics from both sides including the hair.

I have read, and read, and read constantly about maturing hairlines and thinning and tried comparing my hairline to others, but I still worry. I even have spoken to my doctor twice about the possibility of me going bald and on both instances she laughed and said I had nothing to worry about because my hair is thick (I do have thick hair) and she said that my hairline is fine, and that if and when something were to happen we could take care of it. for whatever reason that hasn't been enough and I still worry that my hairline is changing. I have also asked my close friends and they all say I am nuts.

When I shower, I lose decent amounts of hair but nothing too alarming. I even bought hair thickening shampoo but I dont know if that even works.

I decided to finally join and look for some insight and advice to help me, to best try and calm my nerves. I worry because clearly my father's side has hairloss and I really, really don't want to go bald early on in my life.

Any response would be terrific. thanks.

There is no reason to be worried. You will probably start balding at some point. But you are obviously keeping a close eye on it and will therefore catch it early. When this happens, you just start finasteride or dutasteride, and assuming you don't get sides like 95%+ of users, will probably never have to worry about losing your hair ever again

Reaction score
There is no reason to be worried. You will probably start balding at some point. But you are obviously keeping a close eye on it and will therefore catch it early. When this happens, you just start finasteride or dutasteride, and assuming you don't get sides like 95%+ of users, will probably never have to worry about losing your hair ever again

Thanks a lot I appreciate the response.
Yeah I definitely keep an eye on it... and I mean the goal essentially would be to catch it and make sure I never have to worry like you said.

dave670

Reaction score
How fast can a hairline recede? I believe that I am seeing a difference month to month :crazy:

Iopu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How fast can a hairline recede? I believe that I am seeing a difference month to month :crazy:

My hairline receded pretty quick. I had no worries about baldness and never thought about it. Until suddenly at the age of 23 my hairline went back to about norwood 3.

dave670

Reaction score
My hairline receded pretty quick. I had no worries about baldness and never thought about it. Until suddenly at the age of 23 my hairline went back to about norwood 3.
Thanks. Mine seems to be receding steadily in the temples now. The difference is dramatic between now and the summer. Why would my DHT sensitivity increase now? Does it simply have to do with maturation and when my physiology decided to turn it on?
templesofdoom.jpg

Last edited: