20 Year And In Need Of Advice Regarding Hair Loss

Versplinteren

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Fellow forum members,

For the last year I've been following this forum. I have learned many things about hair loss. I'm very thankful for that. I find it addicting to read before going to sleep.

After reading for a while it became time for me to start my own thread, lol. :p

More information about me ;

Since I was 17 I've notice my hairline was receding. I've always had very thick hair. At first it didn't bother me that much, but since I became 19 years old (I'm 20 years old at the moment) it started to get noticeable.. My hair is getting thinner at the back, it also receding even further. It was at this time I started to read forums such as HairLossTalk, Hairlosscure2020 and a Dutch forum. (Sorry if my english isn't that great, I'm from the Netherlands)

My father is a Norwood 6, he started balding at around 18 and has been bald since he was like 25. Same goes for both of my grandfathers. And I don't want to follow up this pattern :(. If I maintain my hair like this or even get some regrowth at my temples, I will be very happy. Even if it will stay the same until I turn the age of 25.

For a regime I was thinking about the following one (currently haven't got a regime):
- 0.5 mg propecia/finasteride (daily) (
- Dermaroller (lightly every evening)
- Rogain Foam or Minoxidil (also every evening)
- Ketoconazol ( every 2/3 days)

Vitamins : Biotin 5000 mg, Vitamine C, Vitamine D.

Could you guys please answer the following questions regarding 'my regime'

- Should I take propecia in the morning or in the evening? Will it not be overkill if I do everything in the evening?

- Should I go for Rogain Foam or Kikland 5% Minoxidil? Also, should I only appply it at my temples or over my whole head?

- Should I take 0,5mg or 1mg finasteride/propecia? Why?

- Any advice on other things I should add to my regime, and why..

I've also added a few pictures with wet and dry hair. Personally I think i'm a Norwood 1.5 - 2...

Thanks for reading this far, I'm open for suggestions

Attachments

• dry 2.JPG
    dry 2.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 360
  • dry 4.jpg
    dry 4.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 395
  • dry.JPG
    dry.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 395
  • wet 1.jpg
    wet 1.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 369
  • wet 2.JPG
    wet 2.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 379
  • wet 3.jpg
    wet 3.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 381
  • wet.jpg
    wet.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
- Should I take propecia in the morning or in the evening? Will it not be overkill if I do everything in the evening?

- Should I go for Rogain Foam or Kikland 5% Minoxidil? Also, should I only appply it at my temples or over my whole head?

- Should I take 0,5mg or 1mg finasteride/propecia? Why?

- Any advice on other things I should add to my regime, and why..
- morning or evening is the same. Be consistent though. No overkill.
- they are the same. I would do whole head.
- 1 mg. Even though it seems lower doses are effective just as 1 mg for a lot of patients, you do not know if you are in those lot of patients. Better be on the safe side
- before adding anything, check progress after six months...

Versplinteren

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
- morning or evening is the same. Be consistent though. No overkill.
- they are the same. I would do whole head.
- 1 mg. Even though it seems lower doses are effective just as 1 mg for a lot of patients, you do not know if you are in those lot of patients. Better be on the safe side
- before adding anything, check progress after six months...

Thanks for your answer.

I'm not sure about Minoxidil all over my head.. What about shedding? If the finasteride will make my hair thicker I don't see a point in applying it over my head, will it not become worse with the shedding ? Or will the finasteride make the shedding a but more unnoticeable and after 6 months when it all kicks in my hair will even be better?

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score

Versplinteren

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any further opinions?

I'm going to see my derma next week for some propecia. I've also ordered all the above.

Hope to hear from you guys.

Also noticed this at my crown..

Hoping fina will fix and maintain

Attachments

• IMG_5941.JPG
    IMG_5941.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 268

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any further opinions?

I'm going to see my derma next week for some propecia. I've also ordered all the above.

Hope to hear from you guys.

Also noticed this at my crown..

Hoping fine will fix and maintain

My shed with minoxidil was about 2 weeks and about 150-200 hairs a day and did not f*** up appearance and i started to grow back the week after the shed ended.

i know everyone experience is different but just sharing mine.

other than that the foam does not negatively effect my hair look..

i neve had any negative reaction except that i got a little darkening of some facial hair--but like not noticeable by anyone i just see it in magnifying mirror. and around my hair line.

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd take 1mg of finasteride.

I believe that lower dosages are as good as 1mg but they could fail to fully absorb.

Let's say your body absorbs 60% of 1mg pill count the effective finasteride amount you get. And calculate same for 0.5mg.

I also sure that having a constant DHT level is crucial – lower dosages can shake it due to lack of DHT-inhibitor amount on the timeline.

Shortly, I agree with @Roberto_72.

Versplinteren

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My shed with minoxidil was about 2 weeks and about 150-200 hairs a day and did not f*** up appearance and i started to grow back the week after the shed ended.

i know everyone experience is different but just sharing mine.

other than that the foam does not negatively effect my hair look..

i neve had any negative reaction except that i got a little darkening of some facial hair--but like not noticeable by anyone i just see it in magnifying mirror. and around my hair line.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I've ordered minoxidil 5% and will use it at my temples. Can't find any Rogaine Foam which ship to my area and where I dont need to pay by credit card (I pay per paypal/ideal). Want to use the foam on my scalp.

So you got a shed but overall your hair got thicker?

Regarding my current hair, any thoughts on what it may become .. Just staying positve and hope I can maintain as long as possible and not turn into a slick baldy at around the age of 25

Versplinteren

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd take 1mg of finasteride.

I believe that lower dosages are as good as 1mg but they could fail to fully absorb.

Let's say your body absorbs 60% of 1mg pill count the effective finasteride amount you get. And calculate same for 0.5mg.

I also sure that having a constant DHT level is crucial – lower dosages can shake it due to lack of DHT-inhibitor amount on the timeline.

Shortly, I agree with @Roberto_72.

I will start with 1mg then. I understand what you are saying. And if I get any sides I should lower the dosage to 0,5mg and hope that will work?

Also was wondering because of the costs because I'm currently studying. And if I cut the pills in half I could do double the amount for the money I invest.

But the most important thing for me is to maintain/regrowth and if this brings some cost so be it.. Hope I can enjoy my hair if I respond well :)

Versplinteren

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So today I went to the dermatologist. He showed me my current state of hair which is a nw2. He told me about finasteride, dutasteride and minoxidil.

He adviced me 0,25mg dutasteride daily because it will probably stop my hairloss while finasteride will only slow down the process.

Because my dad and grandfathers al went bald at pretty much the age of 25-27. I'm very likely to go downhill much in the coming years. He showed me some close-up pictures of my hair where you could clearly see thick hairs mixed with thinner hairs (that are in a further cyclus)

I'm a bit clueless on what to do.. Have you guys got any advice or experience with 0.15 mg duta daily?

I still will use dermaroller and minoxidil (which i already ordered) on my temples. And probably 0.15mg dutasteride daily.

Curious on you guys opinions.

Last edited:

nativeGuyNW2

My Regimen
Reaction score
0.5 mg duta eod and minoxidil+derma 1.5mm on the temples,i have great density,but what really bothers me is the Temple area,I did not have great results yet

Versplinteren

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
0.5 mg duta eod and minoxidil+derma 1.5mm on the temples,i have great density,but what really bothers me is the Temple area,I did not have great results yet

How long have you been on this regime? It will take time to see progress. Hope you will get good results!

What is your experience with Dutasteride?

nativeGuyNW2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well,I started to experience some constipation cause of duta,but is working just fine,a lots of New hair on temple,i've been on this regime for 1 month