20 and still losing... should I do Bosley?

IamBill

Reaction score
Here's some pics of my head taken minutes ago.

The Front:
2000725322849482747_rs.jpg

The Back:
mybackhead.jpg

The front is my obvious concern as I've been losing in that area since I was 17. I really haven't lost at all in the back, yet. I've been taking Rogaine for the four suggest months with no noticeable growth (though I do I several very tiny hairs on my head, I had them for almost the entire time and they never grew more). I stopped for about a month and just started again because it's been preventing further hair loss. Right now, I'm interested in fixing what's missing though. I'm only 20 years old and this baldness is hurting my self-esteem big time. I feel like I'm being judged on it, a lot. So, should I give Rogaine more time, try some other formulas perhaps, or just jump right into Bosley or something similar? Money is not a concern, I just want the best results while I'm still young. Has anyone done Bosley? Does it look and feel real?

Thanks for any info and opinions.

EDIT: Oh by the way... sorry about the usage of "Bosley"... it's the only transplant people I know. I'm not advertising them, I don't even know how well they work.

s.a.f

Reaction score
DO NOT GO TO BOSLEY THEY ARE THE WORST EVER!!

Get on propecia or avodart to try and stop further loss.

IamBill

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
DO NOT GO TO BOSLEY THEY ARE THE WORST EVER!!

Get on propecia or avodart to try and stop further loss.
Thanks for the tip on Bosley. How many graphs do you think I'd need, by the way, if I were to do a transplant? Also, isn't Avodart for enlarged prostates?

Here is another pic of the front with the bangs pulled back to give an idea of the entire bald area. Sorry, it's blurry because these were on a camera phone. Just look for the scalp color.

612frontbald.jpg

G

looks like nw3.5 to me.

i'd talk to your doctor about avodart(dutasteride) as he said. it's only fda approved for prostates like proscar is, but doctors can prescribe it for hair loss as well. it is far more effective than propecia/proscar(finasteride) and i am on it.

and stay the hell away from bosley if you value your money and your head. those bastards ruin people's lives.

bosley= scum

there are only a FEW hair transplant docs in the world that are top of the line, and none work for Bosley. You can figure out who they are by reading posts on here.

Vega

Reaction score
hi bill - stick around a while in the forums before you make any decisions on what to do, read and research as much as you can so you can make an informed decision about what to do when the time is right.

avoid bosley at all costs, if you read through the forums, practically every single person who comments on them has had a disaster.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
Hey Bill

yup ya cant go wrong if you stick around here,you should definitely try Proscar or Dutasteride plus minoxidil and Nizoral shampoo for at least a year,and if you see results stay on them ,and even then you will be sure to maintain what you have.After this you should then think about a hair transplant ,and to throw a few names at you,Armani,Hasson,Wong,Cole and Feller........these are generally regarded on this board as the best ,there are others so d oyour research.

with some serious thought and preventative action you can achieve a close to full head of hear,or at least give the illusion of one

good luck! :hairy:

oh and dont even consider Bosley ,they chew you up and spit you out :hairy:

haleystudios

Reaction score
IamBill.....

stay the f#$# away from MHR, NUHART, AND BOSELY....
had a bad result with MHR....

Libertine said it best..... research these forums for months and you will filter into a decision on what to do.... Armani, Cole, Fellar, and Hasson and Wong are the top choices... usually Armani works on younger patients...
i am booking today as we speak for Feb. or March in 2007
good luck with your decision..... everyone can espect a perfect portfollio of my progress with detailed analysis and crystal clear pics...

G

IamBill, if your hairloss was noticable at seventeen it usually is an indication that your loss will be advanced as you get older. None of us want to hear that but if you have advanced hairloss classes in your family history such as class 7, then the last thing you want to do right now at your young age is a hair transplant. Most, if not all class 7's simply do not make good candidates for hair transplant sugery because they cannot achieve the level of coverage that they want. There will never be enough donor to do it.

You truly want to get in to see your doctor about getting on the meds as was already suggested to you and then wait and see how you respond in the long term. Let us know how things work out for you and I wish you the best in getting some medicinal resolve.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bill,

Hang in there buddy. The advice given from everyone is in you best interests. Get on propecia and nizoral shampoo. Try to stabilize you hairloss. Look into consealors for the illusion of coverage too. There are some good ones like dermapatch, toppik etc.
Also, it's not a good time for a hair transplant. You're too young right now and could be headed to advanced male pattern baldness if the drugs dont stabilize it first. If you plant hair now and lose more you will be chasing your male pattern baldness and require multiple surgeries in the future.
Dont panic and keep researching your non surgical options.
Stay away from chains like Bosley.
Be well

LG

CCS

Reaction score
I'm glad everyone has been telling him to get on propecia or dutasteride. But no one has explicitly stated to him that rogaine does not slow down hair loss at all. The hairs continue to undergo permenant damage. Rogaine just makes them bigger while it is being applied. If you think you are maintaining, it is because the rate at which rogain is making them bigger is about equal to the rate at which the are deteriorating. Once the rogain results reach their maximum, you will continue to go downhill. And when you get off it, you will drop to where you would have been without it. Propecia will probably stop your hair loss.

Jayman is right. You are about NW3.5. As far back as it is boing, you look like you will have a 4 inch wide strip of skin from front to back if you don't get on propeica soon. If you don't stableize your loss soon with propecia or avodart, you will have too much bald area for grafts to bring your hairline down to a somewhat normal level and density.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
I'm glad everyone has been telling him to get on propecia or dutasteride. But no one has explicitly stated to him that rogaine does not slow down hair loss at all. The hairs continue to undergo permenant damage. Rogaine just makes them bigger while it is being applied. If you think you are maintaining, it is because the rate at which rogain is making them bigger is about equal to the rate at which the are deteriorating. Once the rogain results reach their maximum, you will continue to go downhill. And when you get off it, you will drop to where you would have been without it. Propecia will probably stop your hair loss."

You may be right in some cases but overall it helps maintain the hair you have. CCS where are you citing this from? It's good to post the source so that it can be used a reference in the future if it is deemed scientific.

G

lookinggood,

it's common sense.

rogaine is like throwing water out of a leaking boat with a bucket. eventually the water will overcome the bucket and the boat will continue to fill. if you stop using the bucket it will fill up even faster.

propecia/avodart plug the hole so it doesn't fill up anymore than it already is. then you can use the bucket to get some more of the water out

Brokenwall

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
lookinggood,

it's common sense.

rogaine is like throwing water out of a leaking boat with a bucket. eventually the water will overcome the bucket and the boat will continue to fill. if you stop using the bucket it will fill up even faster.

propecia/avodart plug the hole so it doesn't fill up anymore than it already is. then you can use the bucket to get some
more of the water out

So I shouldnt use propecia and rogaine together ? I have been on these 2 for 2 months already ( im 19 )

G

Brokenwall said:
JayMan said:
lookinggood,

it's common sense.

propecia/avodart plug the hole so it doesn't fill up anymore than it already is. then you can use the bucket to get some
more of the water out

So I shouldnt use propecia and rogaine together ? I have been on these 2 for 2 months already ( im 19 )

where did you get that from my post? they work WELL together.

Brokenwall

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
Brokenwall said:
JayMan said:
lookinggood,

it's common sense.

more of the water out

where did you get that from my post? they work WELL together.

Oh yeah its late I couldnt read properly :shock: