2% Spironolactone Solution - yes or no?

ReceedingHairGuy

Reaction score
i couldn't find anywhere to put this, so i guess it belongs here.

has anybody used 2% Spironolactone Solution? i am on Dr. Lee's website and came across it and think it would be a good fit for me
i am in early stages of receeding (norwood 2 i think?) - pics found below:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?t=27141

the hair around my hairline is thinning so i am wanting to stop the receeding and strengthen the hair around my hairline and make them thicker, i am liking the sound of spironolactone because there is no shredding, i read that there are problems with the oral version, but this is liquid so it should be ok, right?

if i use this by itself, would i see the results i'm after?

below is the blurb on the product on the website

-------------
Product 201
2% Spironolactone Solution

Quantity and Ingredients:
60 mL. 2% Spironolactone (20mg spironolactone /mL) in a liquid base of 50% alcohol, 30% propylene glycol, 20% water.

How long does 60 mL last?
Depending on the frequency of application and the amount applied, 60 mL is a 1 to 2 months' supply.

Directions:
Liquid 2% spironolactone should be applied to the scalp in the same area(s) onto which you apply topical minoxidil or topical Xandrox. The skin should be dry (or at least towel-dried) before application and the total dosage should be about 1 mL but not much more at any single application. Apply enough to moisten the skin.

It is best to apply liquid spironolactone before applying minoxidil or Xandrox to avoid contaminating the dauber surface. The delayed interaction between spironolactone and minoxidil can cause an offensive mercaptan odor on the applicator.

Spironolactone is effective in protecting the follicles from DHT because it (1) inhibits the synthesis of DHT, (2) converts testosterone in the scalp to estrogen, and (3) blocks the androgen receptor sites on the hair follicles, effectively preventing even circulating DHT from attaching to the receptor sites. As a result, the follicles are protected from miniaturizing and have the potential to mature again to their normal size.

Topical spironolactone does not cause shedding. Because it metabolizes totally and rapidly in the skin where it is applied, there are no systemic effects.

beaner

Reaction score
I use it as part of a larger regimen as do most. I don't think you'll find anyone that is using spironolactone as a sole treatment so I think it's kind of hard to gauge it's effectiveness, although I'm sure it's helpful in combination with other treatments.

ReceedingHairGuy

Reaction score
viperfish said:

any suggestions for what i could use that has minimal shedding? or is this not possible?

i am looking at maintenance + thickening the thinning areas around my hairline.

dark_one

Established Member
Reaction score
ReceedingHairGuy said:
viperfish said:

any suggestions for what i could use that has minimal shedding? or is this not possible?

i am looking at maintenance + thickening the thinning areas around my hairline.

I have been using spironolactone 2% in addition to minoxidil 2% for 4+ months now. I have noticed a reduction in shedding over the past month or so, along with tiny new hairs popping up at my temples. It remains to be seen though where things stand at the 1 year mark. I don't know about using the spironolactone 2% alone though, as I haven't tried this.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
ReceedingHairGuy said:
i'm just after something that has minimal / no shedding.

I believe anything that reverses miniturization will inevitably cause some shedding. This is not a bad thing, since it's indicative of treatment response. Since you know it's possible, you can program yourself not to freak out.

The follicle gets rid of (sheds) its current hair shaft, replacing it with (we hope) thicker and more pigmented hairs over time. Many cycles may occur as treatment progresses, hence the sensation of losing hair well after treatment start. Since you initiate treatment of a lot of follicles at once (say your crown), at a certain finite "start" time, these hairs in essence are on the same initial growth/shed schedule. That's why you can look at an area one month and see progress, but the next you might see some lost ground. Over time, however, these follicles tend to seek their own schedules and are no longer synchronized. That's my theory, anyway. It's worth what it cost you.

I'm not a doctor, but I do know that the effects of topical minoxidil can be seen in areas not directly treated. That does not mean spironolactone behaves similarly, but I suspect follicles on the outskirts of the treatment area may be influenced to some degree. To me, that means you can't exclude the possibility of shedding from non-slick areas in the general vicinity of treatment.