2 months with minoxidil (and 7 dutasteride pills)

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
not bad, eh? this is with costco minoxidil and 7 days of dutasteride at the very start (had to discontinue due to side effect)

Attachments

• after.jpg
    after.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 470
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 502

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't see much difference tbh. Longer hair and combed backwards.

Or was this sarcasm?

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
Shma said:
I don't see much difference tbh. Longer hair and combed backwards.

Or was this sarcasm?

no especially in the middle it is thicker. also about an extra 1/2 on the temples. obviously you cannot see it that well from above but trust me it's a big improvement.

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The camera cant notice minor improvements.You have to believe the person in such cases.I felt there was a certain increase in thickness around the 2 month mark but this wasn't noticeable in the camera.In another few months there will certainly be noticeable results.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
I think the difference is easy to see, especially regarding the hair quality. It's not always about coverage and density. Apart from the extra thickness you got, the hair in the after picture seems to have better definition and color. Nice work!

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry if it seems like I'm trying to discourage you. I see many posts about progress less than 3 months into treatment and I think about the impatience or anxiousness they are going through while waiting for results.

2 months is just not enough time to judge anything with hairloss. The average hair grows half an inch a month, which would mean any hair you grew using minoxidil would be about an inch long IF it started growing day one of applying minoxidil, which is quite a stretch. For existing hairs, I think it's possible they could be thicker, but I think it's more likely they must fall out first and grow back as thicker hairs, which could not happen in a 2 month period.

The 7 dutasteride pills most likely had 0 effect. dutasteride inhibits DHT, but I don't think it blocks the DHT that is already in your body. I beleive one reason why DHT inhibitors take a while to work is because your body also has to break down exisisting DHT in your body before your hair starts to benefit from a lower DHT environment(also, no medication can inhibit DHT 100%). That is just some of my speculation with no scientifc source to back it up, but true or false I'm still willing to bet that anyone here will tell you that 7 days on dutasteride probably didn't do much.

I would aim to do updates every 3 months. Within those 3 months, you are going to have plenty of good hair days and bad hair days to change your mind about how your progress is going. Also, pictures can be decieving. Once, I took 50 pictures in one sitting. Half of them made me look worse than I thought, and the other half made me look much better than I thought. The slightest change of angle/lighting can really make your hair loss look different, and it's nearly impossible to take identical shots of the top of your head.

Once again, please don't think I'm trying to discourage you. I just get a funny feeling that anxious people eager for results are usually the ones that give up on treatment before it really had a chance to work. Hair loss drugs are not mircacle drugs, but they can show results if given the time they need.

Reaction score
Obvious improvement.

You respond well to minoxidil. Stay consistent, and studies show that most men should remain above the baseline even by year 5. So, it's like practically stopping balding in its tracks for 5 years. Not bad!

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
Tiger's Bald Spot said:
Obvious improvement.

You respond well to minoxidil. Stay consistent, and studies show that most men should remain above the baseline even by year 5. So, it's like practically stopping balding in its tracks for 5 years. Not bad!

really? that's encouraging i did not think it worked nearly that long. do you have links to any of the studies?

that would be sweet if i could maintain. i can't believe how thin my hair got. i had no idea until i took that first picture. i was pretty shocked.

i'm hoping to get back on finasteride sometime too. i think if it gets any worse it's not going to be of much use.