2 different Spicule theories in FUE... Hairtech

hairtech

Established Member
Reaction score
transection.jpg

The graft on the right has a spicule because of the transection. The spicule is actually the hair fragment or just part of the hair shaft without the follicle. One of the clinics I worked at did not allow for spicules to be transplanted so they were trimmed off. In the case at hand on the right... this would now become a 1 haired graft.

Now to further explain something about spicules... depending on the actual transection point... there are some beliefs that the transection will actually grow a hair without a follicle. But this theory is not concrete and is solely dependant upon where the transection occurs. The closer to the follicle, the increase in the likely hood that a second hair will grow. This is where Dr. Gho derived his theory of "hair multiplication". However, after a period of time, he was unable to figure out how to make the "perfect" transection" to grow 2 hairs from one.

Now on the flip side. There is another theory that spicules if left can cause an inflammation process... like an in-grown hair. Why? Because it just sits there and does not grow. Thus a foreign body reaction can occur. And with inflammation, there could be an issue of a possibility of retarding or killing the healthy follicle next to the spicule.

G

hair transplant-- great example BTW-- visual is good most of the time :tongue:

Anyway, the biggest issue I have is that the graft on the right will be trimmed to a 1 hair graft and deemed a "successful" graft, not a transected graft.

Given the way fue is becoming more popular it will be interesting to see how clinics claiming >2-3% transection maintain hair counts and what their patients density looks like in person.

Take Care,
Jason

G

A hair shaft will never grow without the dermal papilla which is inside the follicle. An implanted partial hair shaft will not grow any more than one outside of the body. There is no lifeline to it.

I thought Gho's HM trials involved seperation of the follicle and then implanting them was it not? Either way, you never hear of any success with it.