2.5 months progress on finasteride & minoxidil, 32yo - Results!

Ross1984

Reaction score
This is my first thread here, but I've been reading and taking inspiration for a few months now. I'm 32, and would probably class myself as a NW2.5 with diffuse thinning on the top (although I'm no expert here). My hair loss, in hindsight, probably started a good 5 years ago. It has progressed very slowly so isn't aggressive. For a while I went through the classic denial stage, and was convinced that I was just destined to have a receded "mature" hairline. This is what my dad has always had and still maintains (he's in his 60s).

However, it was the dramatic thinning of my vertex and hairline over the past couple years that got me worried. My Dad maintains a good level of thickness, and so it dawned on me that maybe I wasn't going to be following his path!

Long story short, I got myself onto 5% minoxidil liquid (applied 1ml twice a day), and finasteride (one pill a day). Pretty much immediately I had the placebo bounce of generally feeling happier about things, as I knew I was doing all I could. However, pretty quickly I also started seeing real results. My hair got slighty darker and felt thicker within the first month or so, and since the 2 month mark, I've had definite regrowth along the hairline, and "in-between" hairs on the diffusely thinning vertex. My wife has noticed, a couple friends (who don't know I'm "juicing" my hair) commented, and then yesterday my hairdresser said "There are loads of baby hairs growing all over the front of your head". A great start to my day!

It's still very early I know, but seeing progress after 2.5 months gives me great hope for future gains. I'm definitely glad I took action. Already starting to think I should have acted earlier... so for all those of you on the fence, I'd advise you just go for it. I've not experienced any noticeable sides yet. Very very slight ball ache in first few weeks... but even that I'm wondering whether it was in my mind, as I was looking out for it. Here are the pics... apologies about quality. I know that it's difficult to compare when I have different hair lengths, and lighting etc.

Feb 2016 (just started treatment):
attachment.php

March 2016:
attachment.php

Start April 2016 (wet hair):
attachment.php

Today (26th April), after haircut:
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• feb.png
    feb.png
    421.2 KB · Views: 656
  • march.png
    march.png
    391.1 KB · Views: 666
  • April.png
    April.png
    436.2 KB · Views: 593
  • end april1.png
    end april1.png
    488.9 KB · Views: 610
  • endapril2.png
    endapril2.png
    505.7 KB · Views: 733

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
agree, definitely looks to be filling in slightly. word of warning - month 4-5 is a hard one. that's a very frequent shedding phase for a lotta people. month 6 the results come back with a vengeance & stay that way. personally i've been thru a lot of sheds. had one shortly after the 1y mark which lasted a long time (tho never took me below baseline) but the results always came back. have shed many times over the years tho, prob at least once a year (6 years in now). stick with it pal. good luck.

Ross1984

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip kthxbi. I have noticed a relatively constant shed... maybe 30 hairs in the shower a day on average, but the overall thickness and quality of hair has improved enough to more than offset the shed - so far. Have you noticed constant improvement across the 6 years or did all the improvement come in the first year or two then plateau off?