2.5 Month Update - Min 5%, finasteride 0.5mg, nizoral 2% + Supplements

sephiroth

Reaction score
Hi. I thought rather than wait around and post at 6 months in, which was my original plan, I'd post now. The reason is to push those who are considering treatment to start ASAP, rather than wait around.

I am 25 years old. I first noticed hair loss around 22 or so, when my hair appeared much thinner around the temples when my hair was wet. I was always able to cover it up naturally, as my hair falls forward and I tend to roll with that style.

As soon as the frontal portion (between the temples) began to thin, I knew I needed to take action. I have always been extremely interested in science, so studying as much as possible and reading scientific journals, success stories, forum posts and more was very important to me. Being in marketing, and with family being in pharmaceutical sales, I understand that company marketing jabber is meaningless.

My temples are affected, and the crown to a very slight degree (not noticeable unless under direct harsh light when wet.) I am currently a NW2. My left temple is better off than my right; it seems to have receded less, and is generally thicker around the hairline. I cannot attribute this to any particular practice, although it does seem common after reading posts around here.

Enough talk, here is what has happened since approximately 2.5 months ago.

- Began on propecia .5mg (real, not generic) rather than 1mg to reduce possibility of side effects. The only noticeable side effect has been watery semen. No loss in erection strength or libido. Possible slight increase in libido.
- Began on Minoxidil 5% (kirkland generic.) from amazon. Application is 1-2x per day. I always wet my scalp and then lightly dry before application to increase absorption. During week, usual application is only at night because it looks so damn greasy.
- Began on generic nizoral 2% from inhouse pharmacy. 2-3x/week
- Noticed slight shed within 1-2 weeks, but decided it was much better to stop counting lost hairs, and to quickly towel dry hair and not stare in the mirror so much! (Obsessing during the start of your 'campaign' is not a good choice.)
- No change until about month 1.5. Noticed small hair sprouting at hairline. Also, colorless hairs all over temple in very small length
- Started supplements including 1mg biotin, also silica and msm in separate tablets.
- At month 2.5 (current) I have concrete proof of regrowth all around temples, and frontal portion of hairline was well. Regrown hair is obviously shorter than surrounding areas, but is colored.
- Growth is noted ONLY on one side of temples, the side against the forelock of hair, not the side agains the sideburns.
- Hairline in the center of my head has also sprouted new hairs, some of which appeared way below the hairline, and were plucked as not to look ridiculous!

Negatives
- Sometimes, flakes from minoxidil. These are minimal.
- Greasy hair after minoxidil application which is why I only use it 1x per day during the week.

Positives
- Noticeable regrowth in relatively short time
- Good outlook for future growth

I will post pictures at the 3-4 month mark. Until then, good luck to all. I will answer any questions to the best of my ability. I do not know how much the supplements had to do with my gain.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well some people do get regrowth much quicker than others, genrally hair lost recently regrows much quicker than hair lost a while ago and since you are only a NW2 you should respond quite well to treatments

curiouscharles

Established Member
Reaction score
how did you manage to split your proscar into 0.5mg? if i try and split any smaller than 0.83mg they just crumble :/

sephiroth

Reaction score
I have been using propecia 1mg, which are (obviously) very easy to split in half with a knife.

If you are using proscar, I have heard that it is soluble in alcohol, which means that with a little measuring, you should be able to crush, weigh, measure and dissolve it in a drink of your choice to achieve .5 mg.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
curiouscharles said:
Ah, that's fine.

I'll probably just take 1.25mg every 2nd day. Seems to be the easier/smarter decision.

not really, finasteride in your body will effectively run dry after 1 day so your body is producing DHT like normal for 1 day then having it's production inhibited the next